PFW: 10 free agents to watch

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1764821 said:
Rack;1764809 said:
Who says Ratliff is better at the DE than he is at NT?

I don't know why anyone would think Ratliff is better than Canty.

And remember... Ferguson is coming off of a major injury and is a year older.

I never said, "3-4 DE". I said, DE. Ellis has been playing some DE in a 4-man front.

Apparantely Wade thinks Ratliff is better at DE considering he was almost started him at the position. Ratliff barely practiced at NG during training camp so yeah, logic and common sense tells me he's better at DE. Not to mention his style of play is better suited at DE.

And yes, you did say Ellis was playing 3-4 DE. I quoted it off your post.

MichaelWinicki;1764826 said:
Who says this isn't the start of Ferguson's body breaking down?

This was a major injury Rack.

And different players break down at different points. Ferguson is 30 some years old... there is no hiding that fact as much as you want to think he just jumped out of the fountain of youth and he will have been away from the game for almost a year.

When a player's body starts breaking down they have joint pains, back pains, knees, etc... a torn bicep is not an indication of his body breaking down. It's a muscle tear.

MichaelWinicki;1764831 said:
How do you know Ferguson's body isn't breaking down? He suffered a major injury.

It's funny, Ellis suffered a MUCH worse injury then Ferguson, and Ferguson is less then a year older then Ellis. Yet with Ellis it's a "Major" thing. :rolleyes:

Ellis achilles injury doesn't seem to be bothering him this year, there's no reason to believe that a LESSER injury to a player at a position that usually has longevity in the NFL would cause trouble. If Ellis can come back, certainly so can Ferguson.

Ferguson, when healthy, is EASILY our best NG. Tank rotating with him would solidify that position. Ratliff starting at DE would make the DL even better.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1764846 said:
Like I said before 30 year-olds don't suddenly get healthier.

Tell that to Greg Ellis.

The fact that it happened in the first game - which gives him a full year to rehab - is a good thing. He's worth the money he's scheduled to make and he would make our Run D even better, not to mention less snaps for Tank which would free him up and keep him fresh to rush the passer in the Nickel.

Ferguson will be fine.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1764110 said:
Zoners: Get rid of Spears and replace him with this guy......a STUD

he is not a 3-4 player at all, and on top of that he was pretty much an insignificant player before this season...in other words, one yr wonder in a contract yr

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;1764859 said:
MichaelWinicki;1764821 said:
Apparantely Wade thinks Ratliff is better at DE considering he was almost started him at the position. Ratliff barely practiced at NG during training camp so yeah, logic and common sense tells me he's better at DE. Not to mention his style of play is better suited at DE.

And yes, you did say Ellis was playing 3-4 DE. I quoted it off your post.

When a player's body starts breaking down they have joint pains, back pains, knees, etc... a torn bicep is not an indication of his body breaking down. It's a muscle tear.

It's funny, Ellis suffered a MUCH worse injury then Ferguson, and Ferguson is less then a year older then Ellis. Yet with Ellis it's a "Major" thing. :rolleyes:

Ellis achilles injury doesn't seem to be bothering him this year, there's no reason to believe that a LESSER injury to a player at a position that usually has longevity in the NFL would cause trouble. If Ellis can come back, certainly so can Ferguson.

Ferguson, when healthy, is EASILY our best NG. Tank rotating with him would solidify that position. Ratliff starting at DE would make the DL even better.

You knew exactly what I meant about Ellis playing DE. Don't go all HH on me.

I'm betting in a one-gap design and with a year's experience that Ratliff will be a superior NT.

And there's no doubt in my mind that in shape Tank is far superior to Ferguson.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1764849 said:
A torn biceps is usually a 4-6 month injury before you can lift, depending on the severity. It's a bad injury but not career ending by any means. Not sure if you remember Bill talking about Fergy in one of his PCs. He compared Fregy to an old Merc. He said it's in his legs and that the guy could probably play till he's 40 if he wanted too. I know he had a torn rotator with the Jets, and now the biceps. I don't think he's ever had a major injury to his legs. I don't think this will slow him down and as far as him breaking down, i saw no evidence of that before the injury. This amounts to a year off for the guy. He'll probably be fresher than he's been in years after he gets in shape.
:signmast: What he said.

It's not like the guy is on his fourth knee surgery. He'll be fresh and strong next year.

Mike, IIRC you've always made kind of negative comments about Fergy. Do you just not like the guy? Nobody is saying to ignore the future at NT forever, but why get rid of a good player for only 2.5 million? That's not a lot in the 2008 salary cap.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;1764879 said:
:signmast: What he said.

It's not like the guy is on his fourth knee surgery. He'll be fresh and strong next year.

Mike, IIRC you've always made kind of negative comments about Fergy. Do you just not like the guy? Nobody is saying to ignore the future at NT forever, but why get rid of a good player for only 2.5 million? That's not a lot in the 2008 salary cap.

I don't think Ferguson is a bad player I just think with a years experience that Ratliff will be better and there's no doubt in my mind that Tank is more physically gifted than Ferguson.

Given Ferson's age, health and salary ALONG WITH the fortunate signing of Tank Johnson that Ferguson's days as a Dallas Cowboy are probably numbered.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well, I was as big a fan of signing Tank as anyone, but I'd never count on a player who was one too many beers from a yearlong suspension.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;1764888 said:
Well, I was as big a fan of signing Tank as anyone, but I'd never count on a player who was one too many beers from a yearlong suspension.

There's something to be said for that however I think the numbers at the defensive line are going to force some issues.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1764713 said:
keep dreaming is all I gotta say, he'll most likely be franchised anyways

don't forget we're dealing w/ stubborn mumbles over there

NE would never franchise Moss. No way. That's not their style, especially with a guy like Moss who can quickly turn to a problem if he's not happy.

I see one of three possibilities.

He excepts a contract offer from NE before FA starts. Decent chance.

He tests FA and signs elsewhere.

He tests FA and decides to stay in NE.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1764877 said:
Rack;1764859 said:
You knew exactly what I meant about Ellis playing DE. Don't go all HH on me.

I'm betting in a one-gap design and with a year's experience that Ratliff will be a superior NT.

And there's no doubt in my mind that in shape Tank is far superior to Ferguson.

Umm, no I didn't. Or else I wouldn't of asked you about it. All you had to do was reply that it was a typo or a mistake.

And Ratliff would still be a better DE then NG. Having Ferg and Tank would be the perfect opportunity to free up Ratliff to play his best position. We should take advantage of it.

So you think Tank would be better then Ferguson at NG eventhough Ferguson has excelled at the position during his career and Tank has played it for about half a game?

Yeah, ok. You might of kept some credibility on that if you didn't add the "Far superior" bit. You don't have to exhaggerate to try and make a point.

Whatever. Doesn't matter what you think or what I think. The cowboys front office will make that decision, not us.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Haynesworth is fool's gold. Once he signs for the big $$$, he'll play like he did in previous years, but in all seriousness, how bout..............Randy Moss?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sonnyboy;1764909 said:
NE would never franchise Moss. No way. That's not their style, especially with a guy like Moss who can quickly turn to a problem if he's not happy.

I see one of three possibilities.

He excepts a contract offer from NE before FA starts. Decent chance.

He tests FA and signs elsewhere.

He tests FA and decides to stay in NE.

that is exactly their style

Deion Branch
Asante Samuel

if you think New England lets Moss walk, you're crazy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It looks like people are overrating Ratliff's run defense in the middle. We can be susceptible up the middle becuase Ratliff does not have ideal size and dtrength down there. He gets the job done but i would much much rather have Ferguson manning the middle. People see to forget how good he was last year.

Ratliff needs to go back to DE where he can start right next to Ferg. And lets wait and see how Tank does before busting out the anointing oil. He was getting blown back by double teams at the end there too. in the beginning he absolutely blew up the center thought that was tight.

oh and you worry about leg injuries and shoulder injuries. ferg will be back at full strength next year and he should play a good long time like San Adams or Ted Washington.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
T.O81;1764940 said:
Can you guys imagine, Bob Sanders on thIS team?? WOW.. :eek:
This guy has to be the most overrated player in the league right now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
T.O81;1764940 said:
Can you guys imagine, Bob Sanders on thIS team?? WOW.. :eek:

:rolleyes:

yes, we cant do without a guy who has already amassed one pick and 3 passes defensed this yr

lets break the bank to get him!

:rolleyes:

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;1764946 said:

I agree completely

he might not be THE most overrated, but he is certainly way up there on the list

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;1764914 said:
MichaelWinicki;1764877 said:
Umm, no I didn't. Or else I wouldn't of asked you about it. All you had to do was reply that it was a typo or a mistake.

And Ratliff would still be a better DE then NG. Having Ferg and Tank would be the perfect opportunity to free up Ratliff to play his best position. We should take advantage of it.

So you think Tank would be better then Ferguson at NG eventhough Ferguson has excelled at the position during his career and Tank has played it for about half a game?

Yeah, ok. You might of kept some credibility on that if you didn't add the "Far superior" bit. You don't have to exhaggerate to try and make a point.

Whatever. Doesn't matter what you think or what I think. The cowboys front office will make that decision, not us.

I never knew Ferguson "excelled" at NT-- talk about a credibility hit. How many probowls has he been to?

But you're right neither of us will be deciding Ferguson's fate.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
theogt;1764946 said:
LOL are you serious?? u can't be right? have you seen this guy play? guy is always around the ball, talk about a ball hawk.. the guy hits like a ton of bricks, and hes only about 5'8..