PFW: 10 free agents to watch

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1764946 said:
This guy has to be the most overrated player in the league right now.

:hammer:

MichaelWinicki;1764960 said:
Rack;1764914 said:
I never knew Ferguson "excelled" at NT-- talk about a credibility hit. How many probowls has he been to?

But you're right neither of us will be deciding Ferguson's fate.

:rolleyes:

Yes, cuz the probowl is the true measuring stick to a player's worth.

How often to 3-4 NG's get voted to probowls? Typical, you look at the stat sheet and don't see much from Ferguson (even commenting on his lack of sack production) not knowing that NGs simply don't show up in the stat sheets very often. Their job is to eat blocks.

Funny how everyone (I'm sure that includes YOU) talks about how the probowl is a joke, yet when they want to try and strengthen their weak arse argument they bring up the "how many probowls has he been to" BS.

Again... :rolleyes:

Vintage;1765194 said:
MichaelWinicki;1764960 said:
More than Newman.

Newman sucks. He hasn't been to any probowls so he must not be very good. Plus he's almost 30 and he's coming off an injury. We should get rid of him.

/sarcasm

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;1765212 said:
:hammer:

:rolleyes:

Yes, cuz the probowl is the true measuring stick to a player's worth.

How often to 3-4 NG's get voted to probowls? Typical, you look at the stat sheet and don't see much from Ferguson (even commenting on his lack of sack production) not knowing that NGs simply don't show up in the stat sheets very often. Their job is to eat blocks.

Funny how everyone (I'm sure that includes YOU) talks about how the probowl is a joke, yet when they want to try and strengthen their weak arse argument they bring up the "how many probowls has he been to" BS.

Again... :rolleyes:

Newman sucks. He hasn't been to any probowls so he must not be very good. Plus he's almost 30 and he's coming off an injury. We should get rid of him.

/sarcasm

If Reeves was playing as well as Newman, and we just signed another another corner who could play as well as Newman, and Newman had an injury that knocked him out for virtually the entire season, and if Newman was almost 34 when next season started...

Congrats Rack!

You posted the worst analogy in the history of this board! :bow:

dwmyers

Reaction score
T.O81;1764965 said:
LOL are you serious?? u can't be right? have you seen this guy play? guy is always around the ball, talk about a ball hawk.. the guy hits like a ton of bricks, and hes only about 5'8..

Which makes him just like Roy Williams, only shorter. :confused::confused::confused:

Sandyf

Reaction score
Being a bit realistic, we have another year before we have to sign TNew but we do have to resign Hamlin, Canty, Barber, and probably Adams. Canty and Barber are restricted FAs but it still will cost us.

I could see us giving Hamlin a three year deal and doing something with Flo on say a 3 year deal but I don't think we break the bank on him.

Jerry always does something in free agency so the question is where does he go. If Tank plays well then I don't believe Haynesworth is an option that and the fact that I don't think Tennessee will let him go. We have Henry, TNew and Reeves at CB. Guess we could resign Reeves but I think Brown and Ball will come around and be just as productive. We could move Henry to FS instead of signing Hamlin and then sign Asante Samuels or the kid from Oakland. Just remember that contract will affect what we have to give TNew.

I actually think the best option might be Suggs. With a rotation of Ware, Ellis, Spencer and Suggs at OLBs, it would always give pressure on the QB which makes the secondary much more effective.

I am sure that we will sign more than one FA but seriously doubt there would be more than 1 big splash like a Suggs or Samuels or Haynesworth. As to any potential WRs, if we don't resign Crayton then I could see us making a run at Bryant Johnson from Arizona or possibly Berriman from Chicago. Moss isn't going to happen.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1765403 said:
If Reeves was playing as well as Newman, and we just signed another another corner who could play as well as Newman, and Newman had an injury that knocked him out for virtually the entire season, and if Newman was almost 34 when next season started...

Congrats Rack!

If you say so, Chico.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Wimbo;1764137 said:
oooooooooooo.... Ware and Suggs.
:omg:

That would be nice... Spencer, Ware, Suggs, and Ellis... That is scary depth. With Bobby Carpenter / and Kevin Burnett backing up Bradie James and Akin Adoyle.... Spencer and Suggs will be backing up Ware and Ellis.... This would be great.

I would also love to see Albert Haynesworth as a Nose Tackle, he's sure well big enough being over 330 pounds. I believe having Tank Johnson and Albert Haynesworth in the middle on the nickel defense with Ware and Suggs on the outside and Ellis and Spencer as the linebackers in the box as a blitz package.

I don't think Cowboys should go after Ashanti Samuel, why?, because I believe Jacques Reeves would be a good bargain because he has the ability to cover, tackle, and defelect a whole lot of passes.

I believe the Cowboys should just look for two big time playmakers in free agency which is Albert Haynesworth and Terrell Suggs. And worry about the other positions in the draft. I believe Wide Receiver might should be some consideration because of the talent level that's going to be in this upcoming draft in 2008. Runningback should also be a high consideration, diffently if a deal comes up to get Darren McFadden.....

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1765028 said:
are you being obstinate, or just plain, 'ol stupid? read what is written, it's pretty simple, you aren't going to get your hands on many balls if you aren't playing it, but instead are playing the receiver

jeez

you can jump routes, but go for the tackle too you know?

btw, I also said that I agreed that he's overrated, one man never makes or breaks a defense

No, you can't jump a route and go for the tackle at the same time. To jump a route means to break in FRONT of a receiver to try and get a pick or to get an INT.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SMCowboy;1766241 said:
No, you can't jump a route and go for the tackle at the same time. To jump a route means to break in FRONT of a receiver to try and get a pick or to get an INT.

you're right, my mistake, I should have said when he breaks to where the ball is thrown, he's looking to make the tackle instead of trying to make a play on the ball

lol, sorry dbair, we were arguing over something I wasn't trying to say

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1765403 said:

Congrats Rack!

I'd say your analogy is equally as poor since you don't find many 34 year old corners w/ much speed left, although I think when Newman turns 34, he'll still be plenty fast

most corners rely on their speed, all NTs don't

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sandyf;1765560 said:
I actually think the best option might be Suggs. With a rotation of Ware, Ellis, Spencer and Suggs at OLBs, it would always give pressure on the QB which makes the secondary much more effective.

I am sure that we will sign more than one FA but seriously doubt there would be more than 1 big splash like a Suggs or Samuels or Haynesworth. As to any potential WRs, if we don't resign Crayton then I could see us making a run at Bryant Johnson from Arizona or possibly Berriman from Chicago. Moss isn't going to happen.

how is signing a guy who has 3 sacks a big splash? the guy we just drafted in the 1st rd this yr (and has learned a new position) has 2 or 3 himself...Greg Ellis has twice as many sacks and missed several games...Suggs is another vastly overrated player, in fact I wont be surprised if baltimore makes little to no effort to bring him back

Haynesworth is a one yr wonder and I wouldnt spend 15 cents on him with his history....Samuels is not an option with the two CB's already on this roster considering what he will cost to sign, what Newman will cost to resign and what Henry already gets

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;1766077 said:
That would be nice... Spencer, Ware, Suggs, and Ellis... That is scary depth. With Bobby Carpenter / and Kevin Burnett backing up Bradie James and Akin Adoyle.... Spencer and Suggs will be backing up Ware and Ellis.... This would be great.

I would also love to see Albert Haynesworth as a Nose Tackle, he's sure well big enough being over 330 pounds. I believe having Tank Johnson and Albert Haynesworth in the middle on the nickel defense with Ware and Suggs on the outside and Ellis and Spencer as the linebackers in the box as a blitz package.

I don't think Cowboys should go after Ashanti Samuel, why?, because I believe Jacques Reeves would be a good bargain because he has the ability to cover, tackle, and defelect a whole lot of passes.

I believe the Cowboys should just look for two big time playmakers in free agency which is Albert Haynesworth and Terrell Suggs. And worry about the other positions in the draft. I believe Wide Receiver might should be some consideration because of the talent level that's going to be in this upcoming draft in 2008. Runningback should also be a high consideration, diffently if a deal comes up to get Darren McFadden.....

Haynesworth is having his best yr in a contract yr...any idea why that might be?

and Suggs is vastly overrated, he's got a measley 3 sacks this yr despite playing virtually every snap...we have better players than him already here, and they dont cost a ridiculous sum of money

David

Hoofbite

Reaction score
VCDefector;1766945 said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Turner in a Cowboys uniform next season.

I could go for that. So Long Julius, Hello Burner.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Actually James is currently ranked 32nd in the league in tackles. Ayodele is ranked 202nd. Yes, that is not a typo.

While ILB is not a "weakness" it is definitely a position that can be upgraded. I like Ayodele, but he is a JAG. Bringing more speed to this position should be goal in 2008.

Laurinaitis would be sweet next to Bradie, but USC's Maualuga would not be a bad fallback. This season, I would really like to see more of Barnett in the base sets alongside Bradie.

May not happen due to his value in the nickel sets tho.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT;1764341 said:
The only free-agents I'm interested in signing at this point are :
Patrick Crayton
Julius Jones
Flozell Adams
Jacques Reeves
Ken Hamlin

Also restricted free-agents
Marion Barber
Chris Canty
Jay Ratliff

I'd move first toward resigning the players who have gotten us to 8-1 and better . Let free-agency come to you instead of chasing players , and draft well at the positions you're not deep at . CB , WR , SS , MLB , OG , C , 3rd RB , and QB .

I like the big names like Samuels and Haynesworth too , but I like the idea of Henry manning corner with a 1st round draft pick behind him and Jay Ferguson manning NT with Tank behind him better . It's cheaper , keeps the same core of guys who have been playing together all season , and gives a rookie time to learn rather than being thrown in the fire .

I just keep thinking how great it would be to get a guy like Aquib Talib and giving him time to play along side Newman , Henry , and Reeves with no pressure to come in and start . Or how about Adarius Bowman beside Owens , Glenn , and Crayton without the pressure of starting . It just seems to me like Dallas is in the prime position to keep adding youth to this team and building another dynasty .

I couldnt agree more.:)

Lets resign our own and build through the draft. :)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
VCDefector;1766945 said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Turner in a Cowboys uniform next season.

I would

they are not going to break the bank to sign a career backup who gets all his yds in garbage time

if they sign a free agent RB, it'll be the guy we currently have that they know everything about and how he fits in the offense

JuJo probably leaves, but his replacement will be MBIII and a draft pick, not Turner

David