PFW: Three of the Top 10 Draft Picks Admit to Smoking Marijuana

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhiextra041807.htm

The Way We Hear It — NFL draft edition
Three potential top-10 draft prospects admit to marijuana use

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 18, 2007

PFW has learned that three potential top-10 picks have admitted to using marijuana. The admissions were recorded during standard interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine administered by the league to every player in attendance and submitted to all 32 teams for review.

Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, Clemson DE Gaines Adams and Louisville DT Amobi Okoye
, according to multiple sources who have watched the interviews, all admitted to using marijuana.

Such admissions are viewed indifferently by many teams’ decision-makers who do not consider marijuana experimentation to be abnormal. In the case of Johnson — who is being considered by the Raiders with the first overall pick — his stock is not expected to be affected at all, given the strength of his character. That he admitted to using the drug, to some teams, is a sign of maturity.

Honesty is highly encouraged in the interviews, and those who are not honest and later proven to have lied are likely to be punished more severely, as LSU’s Claude Wroten was a year ago. Regarded as a top-10 pick entering draft meetings, he wound up sliding to the third round.

For Adams and Okoye, however, there could be more severe ramifications given some questions that exist about the consistency of their play.

“It should scare (teams), especially when you see how laid-back (Adams) is in his play,” one team official said. “No one disputes the great physical ability. What is disputed is how passionate he is and how physical he is. Physically, from an athletic standpoint, he has all the tools. He is the No. 1 pass rusher in the draft, and I don’t think many people would argue with that.”

As for Okoye, scouts have a love-hate relationship with him. Some teams who became aware of his admission in the past month have said they did not think it would affect his draft stock at all. Others have deeper concerns about his work ethic, maturity level and fluctuations in his weight.

Considering NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s hard-line stance on players who run afoul of the law, teams could place a higher premium on character than ever before.

“The commissioner is going to be all over any team that drafts players with borderline character,” another team official said. “You are not going to see a draft like, for instance, Cincinnati’s (in 2006), where they took four criminals in one draft, because the owners are going to start getting fined.”

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Oh no, MARIJUANA!!!! Seriously, guys should get rewarded for using this drug. I don't see how it enhances your perfomance what so ever.

And I think it's high time (no pun intended) that we start to become realistic about Marijuana and Alcohol use in our society. I mean, the politicians of today are now the kids who grwe up in the 60's and 70's, and people act shocked about these "revalations"

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
That just means that 7 guys are smart enough to keep their mouths shut..

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1460195 said:
Oh no, MARIJUANA!!!! Seriously, guys should get rewarded for using this drug. I don't see how it enhances your perfomance what so ever.

And I think it's high time (no pun intended) that we start to become realistic about Marijuana and Alcohol use in our society. I mean, the politicians of today are now the kids who grwe up in the 60's and 70's, and people act shocked about these "revalations"
Unreal. I don't believe I just read that.

JBS

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1460196 said:

this guy pretty much hit this 1 on the head....my exact thoughts...when i first read the title my initial instincts were ONLY 3???

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1460199 said:
I think they should be rewarded for their honesty, because I guarantee they're not the only ones in the top 10 that have ever smoked.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
hostile said:
Figure of speech.

Yeah they are dumb for even admitting it, unless they had smked in thats couple of weeks and were covering their *** if they had a bad UA.

BTW, I don't smoke weed anymore, but I honestly feel it is probably the dumbest drug to have illegal. Though I drink, I honestly feel that aclohol is FAR worse than Marijuana. But this doesn't seem like the place to discuss this at any rate.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;1460199 said:

Well, hang around these kinds of places long enough........

:laugh2:

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
For Akoye it's really no different than him saying he's gone to parties and had a few drinks.

I really don't think it's a big deal at all.

Iago33

Reaction score
I'm sure they didn't inhale!

On a more serious note, it is an issue to look into (as significant alcohol abuse would be) but the admission itself should not cause them problems.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't consider it a big deal provided it's not something done on a daily basis. Lots of kids in college do it, the smart ones only do it every once in a while or never at all.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
masomenos85;1460218 said:
For Akoye it's really no different than him saying he's gone to parties and had a few drinks.

I really don't think it's a big deal at all.

It shouldn't be. I dont think that they should be out blowing blunts in public, but let's be honest here, ALOT of people in this country smoke weed. I don't think that marijuana should be punished by the league. The tests are confidential until someone fails them, so if you don't make weed taboo, you could let it slide. But I guess from a PR and "role model" position, the NFL has to be firm on the subject.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Avery;1460238 said:
I don't consider it a big deal provided it's not something done on a daily basis. Lots of kids in college do it, the smart ones only do it every once in a while or never at all.

Millions of people smoke Cannibus...but, only a few, make millions of dollars...

;)

Iago33

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1460242 said:
It shouldn't be. I dont think that they should be out blowing blunts in public, but let's be honest here, ALOT of people in this country smoke weed. I don't think that marijuana should be punished by the league. The tests are confidential until someone fails them, so if you don't make weed taboo, you could let it slide. But I guess from a PR and "role model" position, the NFL has to be firm on the subject.

Whether it should or should not be illegal is a different issue. The fact is that it IS illegal. Of course, so is underage drinking, but two wrongs don't make a right, as they say.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow. Prospects smoked dope sometime in their lives.

Draft classes usually are usually full of kids who grew up in the inner city. Also, they've just spent 4 years in college.

Do the math.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1460242 said:

I know where I am that a fine for underage drinking and a fine for minor (as in small) possession of marijuana is pretty close, within 15 dollars I believe. I mean, speeding tickets and jay walking often cost the same or more than a minor possession charge. As far as the league testing for it, I have mixed feelings. It's certainly not a performance enhancing drug, but other companies are allowed to do random drug testing for controlled substances so I can't say that it's not ok for the NFL to do. Also, I don't think that the NBA started testing for marijuana until 2000 or 2001 and I wonder why they would change the policy after so long (I'm guessing pressure from an outside source like the government).

Anyways, if a player tests positive at the combine I think it's a bigger deal than a player saying "I've done it in the past." Testing positive at the combine would show that the player can't put the pipe down long enough to focus on preparing for the draft and for me that would raise concerns. However, if a player says that they've smoked before, maybe in high school or in the offseason then I'm not going to look at it as a very big issue. I think the honesty factor is something I'd be more keen on noting as it shows a certain degree of integrity.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
masomenos85;1460264 said:
However, if a player says that they've smoked before, maybe in high school or in the offseason then I'm not going to look at it as a very big issue. I think the honesty factor is something I'd be more keen on noting as it shows a certain degree of integrity.

;)

;)

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Not really surprised. A few of my friends (who are gonna be on athletic scholarships next year) smoke dope.

I guess Quincy wasn't alone, lol.