PFW: Three of the Top 10 Draft Picks Admit to Smoking Marijuana

mmillman

Reaction score
I wonder if they ask about steroids?
That would be a much bigger concern to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt;1460193 said:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhiextra041807.htm

For Adams and Okoye, however, there could be more severe ramifications given some questions that exist about the consistency of their play.

“It should scare (teams), especially when you see how laid-back (Adams) is in his play,” one team official said. “No one disputes the great physical ability. What is disputed is how passionate he is and how physical he is. Physically, from an athletic standpoint, he has all the tools. He is the No. 1 pass rusher in the draft, and I don’t think many people would argue with that.”

As for Okoye, scouts have a love-hate relationship with him. Some teams who became aware of his admission in the past month have said they did not think it would affect his draft stock at all. Others have deeper concerns about his work ethic, maturity level and fluctuations in his weight.

I think it's interesting that you hear things about these players having question marks about there "laid-back" attitude and how that somehow translates into no passion for the game in Adams' case. With Okoye, it's work ethic and fluctuations in weight.

In Adams, you got a guy who has 22 sacks and 118 tackles in two seasons. A 6-4, 260 lbs man who can lay down a 4.6 40 but he's got no passion.

You can say the same thing about Okoye. 302 pounds, runs 4.88 and produced an 8 sack, 55 tackle season last year, was 16 years old when he started playing D1 college football and will be only 20 by the time he completes his first NFL season but he's got issues with weight and work eithic. A 16 year old boy has entered college, played a major sport and graduated but he's got issues with his work ethic?

These guys sound an awful lot like Alan Branch to me.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I would be more worried about players who don't admit to expirimenting w/ weed, since those who have 'fessed up to it are probably not smoking dope currently and have given it up

btw, Johnson could admit to beastiality and he would still go top 2

Reaction score
wanted-ricky-williams.png

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1460291 said:
I would be more worried about players who don't admit to expirimenting w/ weed, since those who have 'fessed up to it are probably not smoking dope currently and have given it up

btw, Johnson could admit to beastiality and he would still go top 2

Thats hillarious and true.

Could you see matt millen at the lions draft pc saying, yeah I know calvin has a fetish for domestic cats and rare penguins, but he is a good player and we feel this is best for this organization.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1460319 said:
Thats hillarious and true.

Could you see matt millen at the lions draft pc saying, yeah I know calvin has a fetish for domestic cats and rare penguins, but he is a good player and we feel this is best for this organization.

hell, just being a WR is good enough for Millen, character and team needs be damned :laugh1:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1460195 said:
Oh no, MARIJUANA!!!! Seriously, guys should get rewarded for using this drug. I don't see how it enhances your perfomance what so ever.

And I think it's high time (no pun intended) that we start to become realistic about Marijuana and Alcohol use in our society. I mean, the politicians of today are now the kids who grwe up in the 60's and 70's, and people act shocked about these "revalations"

Ever hear of Ricky Williams? People get suspended for it...no NFL team wants players who use it.

Twyst

Reaction score
I dont even know why the nfl tests for it, its kinda silly. I know the NBA still hadnt added it to their banned substances list a couple of years ago, I think they can still have drug tests come back positive for pot and not get in trouble.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1460328 said:
Ever hear of Ricky Williams? People get suspended for it...no NFL team wants players who use it.

Having used marijuana is not the same as being a "user" of marijuana.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Next, on NFL Network... The top 10 draft prospects rip bong hits with John Lott.

"Suck that stinkin' smoke up meathead. Well don't blow it stinkin' out, what are you stinkin' doing? Gimme that!"

TOOMBS

Reaction score
Hostile;1460199 said:
Unreal. I don't believe I just read that.

It was obviously a tounge in cheek type comment. I doubt he honestly thinks someone should receive an award for smoking weed (durrr).

Grow up.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You can argue about how dangerous or not pot is, and all the legal garbage you want, but the bottom line is this: they test for it in the NFL, its a banned substance, and you will get suspended for it. THAT is what matters. Its an exageration that some make that EVERYONE does it- that is BS and just discredits whoever says it. MANY do, but that is not the point: as long as it was just experimentation or whatever, its no big deal. BUT I bet it makes everyone look a little closer at what they have on those 3. No one wants any grief if they can avoid it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with a person who has smoked weed in the past as long as it remains in the past. Each of these guys has a chance to have big careers in the NFL and it is time to put away childish things. When your career is over if this is what you want to do then that is their business but for now take advantage of what is a short career to begin with

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 7:56 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:29 p.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

JOHNSON, ADAMS, OKOYE ADMIT TO MARIJUANA USE

Pro Football Weekly reports that three consensus top-ten draft picks -- receiver Calvin Johnson, defensive end Gaines Adams, and defensive tackle Amobi Okoye -- admitted during their scouting combine interviews that they have used marijuana.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network also reports on the Okoye admission. Schefter obtained confirmation from Okoye's agent, Ian Greengross.

We reported on Tuesday that there were multiple players in the top ten who had admitted to smoking pot. The player to whom we were referring in our initial story on the matter was Johnson. We don't have the sufficient legal defense fund, however, to break a story of that ilk.

The PFW story says that the players have admitted to using marijuana. As to Johnson, we heard only that he admitted to experimenting with it.

The reaction to the news is mixed. League sources who contacted us regarding the issue on Tuesday took a ho-hum approach.

Johnson is the most surprising of the trio, and it's the only cloud (pun intended) over an otherwise spotless background. But it's still not enough to make him, in our view, anything other than the No. 1 prospect in the draft.

An obvious question that arises regarding this issue is whether the admission is enough to qualify a guy for inclusion in the league's substance-abuse program. The answer is: It depends.

Behavior can be enough, as Randy Moss almost found out in 2005. After admitting to smoking marijuana "once in a blue moon," Randy's handlers had to do some fancy verbal dancing to keep him out of the program.

POSTED 4:17 p.m. EDT, April 17, 2007

SCOUTS GETTING NUMB TO POT SMOKING?

We've gotten plenty of feedback from our sources regarding news that league insiders are attributing an admission of marijuana use to a blue-chip NFL draft prospect.

Multiple league sources believe that it's no big deal.

Said one source: "For what it's worth, there is more than one player in the top 10 who has admitted smoking pot. It's really not that big of a story, sadly enough."

Said another: "Marijuana is as American as baseball and apple pie. It's like masturbation; some admit it and the rest are liars." (Our source didn't say which category he occupies -- and we don't want to know.)

We're not quite sure what to make of this, other than to say that there's a lot of common sense to it. If plenty of guys are going to smoke marijuana and if there's no way to get them to stop, then at some point it becomes pointless to make an issue out of it.

Does anyone really think that the threat of periodic testing is keeping players who want to smoke pot from smoking it? There are ways to beat the test; otherwise, Onterrio Smith never would have purchased a Whizzinator. And there are times when a guy who isn't in "the program" can smoke with impunity; otherwise, Pacman Jones wouldn't have (allegedly) told a police officer in early 2006 that he knows when to quit smoking hooch in advance of his pre-season testing.

Either the NFL should commit sufficient resources to eradicate marijuana users from the league, or the league should drop the prohibition on marijuana smoking. In our view, having a rule on the books that no one cares about isn't acceptable. The league must come up with an effective way to get pot out of the game, or quit trying to do so.

POSTED 2:45 p.m. EDT, April 16, 2007

WILL A BLUE-CHIPPER BE SAPPED?

In 1995, defensive tackle Warren Sapp slid all the way to No. 12 in the draft in the wake of false rumors that he had failed a drug test.

In 2007, there are fresh rumors making the rounds that a blue-chipper admitted during a league-conducted combine interview to experimentation with marijuana while in college.

Though there's nothing wrong with an isolated youthful indiscretion (and, for the record, we never inhaled), the admission raises questions of whether the player in question is stoopid. In the NFL, a guy is regarded as a user only if pot is detected in his system or if he misses a test or if he's in the possession of marijuana (and/or a prosthetic pecker aimed at the production of a clean pee sample).

On one hand, his honesty is refreshing. On the other hand, honesty might need to be ignored when the potential consequences are the millions of dollars in contract value that can be forever lost if a player plummets.

Then again, we're not sure whether the player even made the admission, and we're trying to track down the truth. One league source says that two teams have told him that the admission was made, and that it appears in the transcript of the interview. Another team tells us that the transcript contains no such statement.

For now, the story is either that the kid made the admission, or that someone is trying to smear him, presumably in the hopes that he'll fall.

Or, by claiming that the transcript contains no admission of marijuana experimentation, someone could be trying to prop the player up, so that he won't slide.

Regardless, each team is in a position to judge for themselves whether the rumor is true. As a league source tells us, every team has a copy of the taped interviews.