Philly could be eyeing Byron Jones

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This board would completely melt down if byron jones goes to philly, and gets a game winning pick off of dak next year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tony Pauline is reporting that word down in Mobile is the Eagles are looking to revamp their CBs and Jones and Chris Harris are two names they are in on.

On one hand, I see the logic in us not getting into a bidding match for Jones. But on the other hand, having him in Philly would make them much better at an area of weakness.

I am generally curious to see what we do with Jones.
My question with Jones is how good is he going to be on the back end of his deal. His play is all based on athleticism, and will take a dive once he loses a step.

However in the short, he would be a strong addition. He is a top 15 CB in the NFL, and while he doesn't make plays on the ball he is effective at limiting his mans production.

Eagles should be interesting

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hate to lose the guy. He's a Terrance Newman type of player. Does everything great except get turnovers. Maybe getting away from Tampa 2 and pairing him up with a solid DB coach will benefit him in that department.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Naturally. He’s a talented player at a premium position. The market should be robust for him. Noteworthy though because it’s Philly. Always bugs me when they start sniffing around our guys
Oh yeah. Not a knock on our guy, @Sydla. I’m sure Philthy will be looking hard at Byron. I would if the shoe was on the other foot!

visionary

Reaction score
Do you think he will get that big of a contract?
We should at least get a 4th, but if we can get a 3rd, I think that would be pretty good. We could end up with 4 comp picks. And get a 3rd, maybe 2, and a f4th and 5th.

this is why I hope they don't sign. too many high player FA's to offset what we will lose. With 24 FA's, and we lose 8 but sign 4. We can get those 4 comp picks.
This could be a strategy they look at. Then have a sold draft. Build for the long haul, not just next season.

could not disagree more

this whole chasing after comp picks farce has prevented us from being aggressive in early FA and caused us to wallow in mediocrity

if we want to realistically compete for a SB in the next 2 years we will have to be aggressive in early FA this year. We need starters at DT x2, safety, TE, at a minimum and really good back ups at several positions including QB, DE, LB, among others

we cannot hope to fill these with draft and lower tier FAs

I’m fine with Jones walking. He is not near worth what he will be asking for

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Pretty much.

We need him too. That’s what stinks about this but when you pay a QB big money this is what starts happening. We’re losing an elite corner for a mediocre QB.
We need McClay to oversee both Mike McCarthy and Nolan to prove that we are looking for good football players that fit scheme to their talent. Not the archaic, opposite, scheme rules, Marinelli-way!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We need McClay to oversee both Mike McCarthy and Nolan to prove that we are looking for good football players that fit scheme to their talent. Not the archaic, opposite, scheme rules, Marinelli-way!

Dallas went from one extreme with Rob Ryan to going completely cave man with Kiffin/Marinelli.

They wanted to run a simple defense so they could pick up guys off the street and get them to play instantly with little acclamation needed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I was curious about the numbers and if that were a possibility.
Before restructures, with cutting Crawford, they have over ~$90m in space.

They can easily structure the contracts to reduce the cap hit, so even if Dak's AAV is $35m and his cash payout is $40m, his cap hit might only be $20m.

Reactions: G2

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Would a CB to replace him at 17 be a better option?

Depending on what's there but your post suggested letting keeping Jones and letting Coop walk and using 17 to find his replacement if I understood it correctly. As you know, it's not ideal to into the draft targeting a desperate positional need. I actually would mind keeping Byron personally but just don't see him as a good fit for THIS coaching staff. As for Coop, I've said before, I'd tag him regardless just to get one more year ( for the 1st we gave up) but draft his possible replacement in round 2 or 3.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, I think we sign Dak and Cooper. Then we try to sign Jones and franchise him if need be.

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
Who better to evaluate DB's than the guy that had to game plan against them?

I am in the minority but Byron Jones would be a critical keep for me. He's the most consistent player on the D and one of the two best. And if a team wants to make their CB's better, get good Safeties.
I right there with you
but this is the same fan base that said D Ware suck he never got sacks when we needed them. He go on to win a Super Bowl with Denver
Let La'el Collin walk don't sign him. Out of all the contracts signed this year Collins had his best year this year
Let Jones walk but Sign M Collins, Jones is better at his job then M Collins is at the DT spot

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't even hesitate with Jones if it falls within a proper range. He's the best CB we have, and he can always move back to safety. He covers receivers; he limits the best TE's in the league, and in another system, we may see him produce even better at CB or Safety. No one at any position has produced in the secondary under the previous scheme.

The Natural

Reaction score
Hate to lose the guy. He's a Terrance Newman type of player. Does everything great except get turnovers. Maybe getting away from Tampa 2 and pairing him up with a solid DB coach will benefit him in that department.
Terrance Newman had 16 interceptions his first 5 years in the league. Byron Jones has 2.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Even if we lose Byron, he'll probably generate a third round comp pick for us.

It's hard to see how we're going to be able to retain him as it feels like the FO is more keen on keeping the Dak -> Amari connection alive and well.
There was quite a disconnect there many times this season.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
He'll need to take Chido with him so he can look good. He's 10X better than Chido, which makes you thinks he's elite, but teams dont throw at him much because Chido is so easy to throw against.

starfan1

Reaction score
This board would completely melt down if byron jones goes to philly, and gets a game winning pick off of dak next year.
This board melts down on a regular basis so what’s the big deal?

if jones gets that pick then law of averages say your good for 3 more years of playing him before he gets another

jones is a good player but Deion and Revis he isn’t so paying him like that at a position you can draft for isn’t the best idea.

if we’re going to lose one of the big 3 then he’s likely odd man out

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure they could be. So every team with CB as a need (and we know the eagles need CB's) are looking at pending free agents. Byron will be near the top of every teams list.