CFZ Philosophical Difference Might Have Been Option Routes

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McCarthy passed 58% of the time in Green Bay. Every offense has option routes, even west coast offenses. Dallas passed 51% of the time this year. If McCarthy's philosophy involves putting it in Dak's hands that much more, then next year is going to be fun, regardless of how it plays out.
As opposed to putting it in zeke hands?

Silly

Reaction score
Personally I think we need to run the ball a lot more, like 60/40 run to pass ratio.

Limit Dak to 20-25 passes a game.....................he needs to be more of a game manager than playing hero ball.
With the way the refs call PI and illegal contact penalties, Dak needs to chuck the ball downfield more and not less. Take advantage of the rules. All the other teams do.

Ken

Reaction score
I have seen this topic being bounced around on social media, that the big philosophical difference between KM and Big Mike was the option routes.

Most of Dak's actual ints (not picks where the ball hit the WR in the hands and bounced off), but actual picks were misreads on option routes. The WR reads the coverage one way and Dak reads it another way or the WR runs the route wrong by going behind the safety instead of crossing his face. Almost all of Dak's picks in the middle of the field this year were misreads on option routes, see Green Bay game as a perfect example.

The Garrett/KM offense uses a lot of option routes whereas Big Mike is more of a West Coast guy that uses very little option routes and instead focuses on short, quick passes and RAC yards. Most the routes are predetermined and dont change based on coverage, but the coverage dictates where the ball goes. Philosophically speaking, using more West Coast plays with fewer option routes seems like it would be a big benefit to Dak, especially if he and the WRs are just not reading the coverage the same.

Maybe Big Mike wanted to change the offense to use a lot fewer option routes and KM disagreed since a large portion of his playbook is based on using option routes throughout the entire route tree.

So, I dont know if I believe this 100% that this was the main area of friction between KM and Big Mike but I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think.
This is a part of it, yes.

It is also the disjointed run game to pass game and lack of a cohesive scheme to consistently attack a defense. There is no real philosophy in the Kellen offense...it is a hodge podge of Air Corryel, Garrett, Linehan and Moore taking from any highlight on ESPN.

This is going to be a tried and true approach to offense...one we have seen since Parcells.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If anyone expected Dak to be capable of such high level play then I guess he should have been fired.

Creeper

Reaction score
Bad Dak is slow to make decisions on where to throw the football. Good Dak gets rid of it early and with conviction. Routes don't matter. Dak needs to stop thinking so much. Read the defense and if he doesn;t get what he wants, dump it off early to the RBs who are often wide open early. Otherwise, just find a place to throw it away. That's what Rodgers and Brady do and they seem to have a lot of success.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Another example of poor coaching is that Prescott specifically ranks high in play action plays. Makes me question scheme when we played the 49ers, we didn't run a playaction play until well into the 3rd quarter.
Tell me you don't understand what you're watching without saying you don't understand. They literally ran playaction on their first play from scrimmage. Their only TD of the game came off of playaction in the 2nd quarter.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Tell me you don't understand what you're watching without saying you don't understand. They literally ran playaction on their first play from scrimmage. Their only TD of the game came off of playaction in the 2nd quarter.
Must have missed it, thanks!

Zman5

Reaction score
McCarthy passed 58% of the time in Green Bay. Every offense has option routes, even west coast offenses. Dallas passed 51% of the time this year. If McCarthy's philosophy involves putting it in Dak's hands that much more, then next year is going to be fun, regardless of how it plays out.
The passing stat this year has more to do with Rush starting 5 games. We passed over 57% both in 2019 and 2021 when Dak was the QB for the whole year.

Last edited:

Zman5

Reaction score
On 103.5FM, they said KM ran the ball on 1st down 58% of the time and this is something that is going to be much different with MM. Big Mike passed more on 1st down than run when he was in GB. They also mentioned 58% is really high and said Schottenheimer who is known for running the ball too much only ran %51 on 1st down when he was with Seattle.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
CD will do really well with YAC in a WCO. I'd also love to see how Turpin does. Getting him the ball with space to operate could be dangerous.

Daks biggest challenge will be hitting a crossing route in stride, and putting touch on the ball. He has a tendency to fire in the shorter passes and throws too many a step back. If he can get passed that the new offense will be great. We really could use some more speed though.
Get my boy Tank Dell in here

Reactions: CWR

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Just went through the video I used. That entire scoring drive isn't even there, lol.
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Personally I think we need to run the ball a lot more, like 60/40 run to pass ratio.

Limit Dak to 20-25 passes a game.....................he needs to be more of a game manager than playing hero ball.
Well, Dak could still be a hero......it's just for the other team. :muttley:

Reactions: G2

Haimerej

Reaction score
The passing stat this year probably has to do with Rush starting 5 games. We passed over 57% both in 2019 and 2021 when Dak was the QB for the whole year.
Maybe. The numbers come to about 50.5% run with Cooper- 143 passes to 146 runs. The Rams game Cooper only had to throw 16 passes and they ran it 34 times. If the Rams weren't incompetent in the 2nd half the numbers would likely reflect closer to what they were with Dak.

With Dak they threw it 413 to 385 runs. Still lower than 52% passing.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Just went through the video I used. That entire scoring drive isn't even there, lol.
I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
I caved and got NFL plus this year. The All 22 is nice.

Reactions: G2

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol u flipped it to ur own agenda