Recommended Photo: Romo INT from all 22

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Oh, I've never heard anyone say that, .. yesterday all I kept reading here was that Escobar was triple -teamed.

But when he starts his cut at the 23, he leaves the LB behind him. If he stays on the 23 he may have caught it and he may not have, .. but I don't think it gets picked.

Yes. Very bad route. Two ints to rookie routes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh, I've never heard anyone say that, .. yesterday all I kept reading here was that Escobar was triple -teamed.

But when he starts his cut at the 23, he leaves the LB behind him. If he stays on the 23 he may have caught it and he may not have, .. but I don't think it gets picked.

Well, I did, in the Romo was hit by two of his own lineman thread I said this"

Escobar didn't run a great route, he didn't break off his cut flat and flash like he should have. He drifted a few yards and that allowed the LB to get under the ball, that's true.

Smith22

Reaction score
Escobar drifts from the 23 to 25, allowing the defender to make a play.

It is a nice play by the linebacker, but if Escobar doesn't drift 2 yards upfield, I don't see how this pass is picked off. Complete, Incomplete or maybe even a pass interference gets called.

Side note: the 2 wideouts on Romo's left run routes awful close to each other.

Smith22

Reaction score
And if the beard holds his block, I think Romo gets a bit more on that pass. And Leary did nail that guy, lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I just kept watching that play over and over, think to myself, it was tailor made for a delay. I wished we had just run the ball but we didn't. Over now but my Wife keeps telling me to stop talking in my sleep. Apparently I keep chanting Delay... Delay.... Delay.....

LOL....

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I would like to see what would have happened if he would have gone to Murray.

Smith22

Reaction score
I just kept watching that play over and over, think to myself, it was tailor made for a delay. I wished we had just run the ball but we didn't. Over now but my Wife keeps telling me to stop talking in my sleep. Apparently I keep chanting Delay... Delay.... Delay.....

LOL....

I was texting a friend before the drive started, and we BOTH said "You have to get Murray invovled here a bit".

I understand the attack philosphy and don't disagree with attacking, but IMO, you can still attack by running. Keep the pass rushers honest.

Regardless, the OL has to block better against a 3 man rush.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I don't think I agree with that. If he cuts the route of sharp, he's still got Trevathan in his hip pocket. Trevathan is Denver's best cover LB. At no time during that route is Trevathan more then a step off Escobar. Plus, the Safety and the Corner are closing on that pass and they are in position to make a play if it's completed.

It's pretty tight coverage, but Trevathan is still beaten. The reasons he came away with the interception were...

1. Hustle. He didn't give up and pass his man to the safeties who were creeping up and he made a spectacular diving grab.
2. Romo didn't get a good pass off.
3. Escobar took his route upfield giving away his position advantage. A route perpendicular to the sidelines, and Trevathan is still trailing him. But he lets Travathon back into the play by taking the longer route.

It's really funny that the local sports radio was knocking Garrett for sounding like a nerd by referencing the Pythagorean Theorem in the pre-season, but this is a prime example of being beaten by it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Escobar is more than five yards down the field when the LBer goes to jam him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Regardless, the OL has to block better against a 3 man rush.

I agree but we, as a team, have to help them. We can't just allow opposing defenses to play only pass defense against us. I mean seriously, if you watch that video, nobody on the Denver side of the ball is paying any attention to the run. That really puts the OL at a huge disadvantage because it's much, much harder to block guys who are just pinning their ears back and have no responsibility to check the run. We have a young line and not all of these guys are All Pro type players. We have to try and help them in situations like this IMO. If we don't, chances are that their weakness' will show up more times then their strengths will in critical moments.

Nuff said about that I suppose. Hard to watch though.

dffl11

Reaction score
A few things are clear.

1. Escobar wasn't triple covered. He really wasn't even double covered

2. But, Murray was wide open

3. Great play by the Denver defender

4. Our defense still sucks.

YR

agreed.....

not to be too ticky tacky, but also some contact on the WR past 5 yards.......either way, if he pressured and had the throw altered, he could have been 2 feet more to the outside and it gets completed.......

i will admit after seeing this, that Murray would have picked up a good chunk of yards, had he checked it down

khiladi

Reaction score
It was 2nd and 16... So Dallas should run to cause Denver to respect it? Escobar looks to be the primary read, with Romo first looking at Dez, I believe, second from top, probably to draw the safety.

By the time Romo waits for the break, the pressure comes up the middle and Romo has to rush his throw.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Murray would have gained a lot of that sixteen yards if Romo had thrown it to him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If he runs the route crisp, and goes straight across the field, .. the LB was behind him and would have had to go over his back or through him to get to the ball.

But since he went up the field instead of across, it gave the LB a path in between him and the ball.

Great play and catch by Trevathan.
I was telling a buddy of mine during the game that I thought he really rounded off that route, and that if that had been Witten, it would at worst have been an incompletion and not an INT.

As much as everyone complains about not playing rookies, we're seeing why most coaches don't like to do it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was 2nd and 16... So Dallas should run to cause Denver to respect it? Escobar looks to be the primary read, with Romo first looking at Dez, I believe, second from top, probably to draw the safety.

By the time Romo waits for the break, the pressure comes up the middle and Romo has to rush his throw.

I've heard a lot of people say this but I don't really agree with it. In that situation, your primary read should be dictated by the coverage. The #1 goal, in that situation, is to make positive yards and set up a manageable 3rd down. Pre Snap read tells Romo that the Safeties are in a two deep shell. Once the ball is snapped, he should read the LB drops across the board. There is literally nobody there to cover Murray and he really should know this. I can understand that what he saw was what could be described as open in the NFL with Escobar but that's not really the most open play. To be honest, Witten, IMO is a better throw then Escobar is. If you throw to Witten, you are throwing to the sideline where only Witten can catch it and he is as open as is Escobar. Also, he's not a Rookie. Having said that, pre snap, the coverage dictates Murray and Romo has to know that. Based on the down and distance and the situation on the field, I just think you have to go to the safest play because if it's not complete, at best you have 3rd and 16 and then you know you get the house. That's going to be a 7 to 10 yard completion at best and then your giving a short field to an Offense you know you haven't stopped once all day and all they need is a FG.

I think you have to understand that in that situation but hey, it's easy for me to post this on a board after the fact. It's a lot harder to do in real time of course but that is what your Franchise QB is supposed to do.

JPM

Reaction score
Escobar is more than five yards down the field when the LBer goes to jam him.
Looks like 7 yards down field, but if they didn't call Witten getting pushed thrown out of the end zone while the ball was in the air, they wouldn't call that...

TonyS

Reaction score
The first play of the drive was key and was mismanaged by the coaches, leading to a Romo sack. Half or more of football is prediction and expectation. Denver was likely expecting pass. Use that to your advantage and call a delayed draw or other run on FIRST DOWN. Heck even a planned scramble up the middle by Romo for 6-8 yds. He rarely ever scrambles any more. Denver did it to us on Manning's naked bootleg for a TD earlier. Good play calling on the final drive wins that ball game.

The 2nd down play is just a comedy of errors that come together to produce the INT and have been discussed here ad nauseum.

khiladi

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people say this but I don't really agree with it. In that situation, your primary read should be dictated by the coverage. The #1 goal, in that situation, is to make positive yards and set up a manageable 3rd down. Pre Snap read tells Romo that the Safeties are in a two deep shell. Once the ball is snapped, he should read the LB drops across the board. There is literally nobody there to cover Murray and he really should know this. I can understand that what he saw was what could be described as open in the NFL with Escobar but that's not really the most open play. To be honest, Witten, IMO is a better throw then Escobar is. If you throw to Witten, you are throwing to the sideline where only Witten can catch it and he is as open as is Escobar. Also, he's not a Rookie. Having said that, pre snap, the coverage dictates Murray and Romo has to know that. Based on the down and distance and the situation on the field, I just think you have to go to the safest play because if it's not complete, at best you have 3rd and 16 and then you know you get the house. That's going to be a 7 to 10 yard completion at best and then your giving a short field to an Offense you know you haven't stopped once all day and all they need is a FG.

I think you have to understand that in that situation but hey, it's easy for me to post this on a board after the fact. It's a lot harder to do in real time of course but that is what your Franchise QB is supposed to do.

So when you need 16 yards, your primary read should be to check the ball down? Hasn't that what Dallas has been doing the last 6 years with the train reck of an offensive coach? The first game Dallas is actually exploiting the middle, and Romo is launching the ball all over the field, and Dez is running drag routes netting 75 yards, and Beasley just destroyed the slot the last series, we should just resort to typical Garrett-mode of a check-down to Murray, though he's clearly the last progression? It was bad blocking, Frederik got beat right when Escobar is about to make his cut. Smith is getting pushed back and Romo stumbles a little bit. Even if Escobar's route was clean, you still have the issue of the Romo stumble and the pressure up the middle, in which Leary just happened tocome across and take out Frederik man at the last second, causing Romo to sail the ball a little high as well.

It happens... Mannin threw a INT when Denver tried to attack, when Dallas just tied the game in the 4th I believe, followed by Romo throwing a TD.