Twitter: Pitts a potential bust?

Gaede

Reaction score
I mean, it's not a great track record.

Besides these recent busts, some of the best to play the position--e.g., Gronkowski, Witten--were picked after the first round as well. Though Gonzalez was taken pretty high.

He's right to be concerned about the whole 'generational' thing, but Pitts does seem to be one of the best all around prospects of the draft, regardless of position, and that's why he's ranked so high.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’m an Ole Miss alum so very familiar with Engram. He was a beast. Even in games against Alabama and LSU he was often the best player on the field. Who knows if it’s just poor QB play but no reason he shouldn’t be a dominant force.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I mean, it's not a great track record.

Besides these recent busts, some of the best to play the position--e.g., Gronkowski, Witten--were picked after the first round as well. Though Gonzalez was taken pretty high.

He's right to be concerned about the whole 'generational' thing, but Pitts does seem to be one of the best all around prospects of the draft, regardless of position, and that's why he's ranked so high.

Pitts should not be ranked so high - as a tight end, because he's not. Don't care what position he played in college, he's an NFL wide receiver. The combination of size and speed is somewhat rare, even if he's listed as a tight end on whatever team he lands on, he'll be used as a wide receiver most of the time, a la Gonzales...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I’m an Ole Miss alum so very familiar with Engram. He was a beast. Even in games against Alabama and LSU he was often the best player on the field. Who knows if it’s just poor QB play but no reason he shouldn’t be a dominant force.

"Engram, 26, made his first Pro Bowl in 2020 after making 63 catches for 654 yards and a touchdown. He also had 11 drops and six interceptions came on passes thrown his way, according to Pro Football Focus."

Dropping very catchable balls has nothing to do with the quarterback. That's Engram's issue, now if he can get a handle on that (pun intended), he might be one of the great tight ends in the NFL...

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t he will be bust based off his quarterback.

With that being said, the teams linked to him above us (Atlanta, Detroit, Denver) would be terrible.I don’t think Atlanta has true interest just tossed them in there.

Come on down to Dallas, Kyle

ultron

Reaction score
He would thrive in the Patriots or Giants system. Bill and Jason love to design plays that go to the TE

Carson

Reaction score
He would thrive in the Patriots or Giants system. Bill and Jason love to design plays that go to the TE
Tight end room is getting cramped in New York and New England. Engram, Rudolph. Pitts would be drafted for the future so that would be scary

Sydla

Reaction score

That's what I wonder............... How much of this is driven by QB play.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I worry about Pitts' build..he is a long strider, tall and I worry about his legs getting hurt at the pro level. Teams will go at his legs. He will need to prove he can get stronger at his base. Sky is the limit.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Couldn't this argument be made about every receiver?
Not totally. A guy like Steve Smith when he was playing was built more like a rb at WR...muscled up trunk and base. Pitts is not that. He's built for speed and is a long lanky strider. I worry about his legs getting tangled up and getting hurt. Thats the only real draw back. I'm fine with him at 10.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Pitts will succeed but mostly because I think a team will grab him that has a plan for him.
I mean you can choose who you draft.
If you draft him blindly because of his talent then yes he could bust.
He is what he is not what you determine later.

It'd truly be a bummer if he went somewhere and they forced him to be an inline guy every play and block a lot which beats him up and reduces his speed and athleticism.

ultron

Reaction score
Generally speaking 2 or 3 out of the top 5 players picked in the top 5 of every draft end up being busts. Much of that has to do with the fact that they usually go to bad teams.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Yeah, well Pitts made Trask a Heisman finalist

See no Pitts Florida/ Alabama game as evidence

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I worry about Pitts' build..he is a long strider, tall and I worry about his legs getting hurt at the pro level. Teams will go at his legs. He will need to prove he can get stronger at his base. Sky is the limit.

I don't see that.

He's build like 6-6 RB with a solid lower body and incredible short area quickness. He can sink his hips and reverse directions better than anybody I've seen at that height.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is classic "dog bites man" post. While I don't agree that Pitts HAS to go to the Cowboys to not be a bust, he absolutely needs to go to a team that is going to use him in order for them to get value from him. If he goes to a team that just wants him to line up at the end of the line, run 3 yard option routes and block he WILL be a bust. If he goes to a team that is creative in how they use and who will scheme him into favorable matchups down the field he will be a beast. And of course if he goes to a team that stinks at QB all bets are off anyway. I don't have many concerns about his build because he's only 20 years old. They're all kinda built like that at that age. Check back after two years in a pro weight and nutrition program. If he's still that skinny then we can start to worry.