Twitter: Pitts a potential bust?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His position is no different than any other players'. It is all about the system and how they're featured in it.

Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens become household names in a non West Coast Offense? Emmitt get the record in an offense not featuring the RB with 55-60% run calls?

Pitts is all about who gets him and what they do with him. I can't see any team using a top 10 on him and not using him and that extraordinary athletic talent. That's what KC id with Gonzalez, he was that first TE to be a receiver first. Wide, slot, TE, it doesn't matter. It would matter with a WR set like the Cowboys, who does a DC double? Got to take someone out of the mix.

visionary

Reaction score
Most NFL teams don’t plan to showcase a player they pick in the top 10

:rolleyes:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Couldn't this argument be made about every receiver?
The track record of receivers to tight end isn’t comparable. You can argue that in between 1999 to 2020.....every first round tight end has been a bust except Tony Gonzales. You can make a argument for Ebron and Vernon Davis.....but their careers were lackluster.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not thinking bust, but I am thinking that he won't have near the effect on an O that people are clamouring that he will.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not totally. A guy like Steve Smith when he was playing was built more like a rb at WR...muscled up trunk and base. Pitts is not that. He's built for speed and is a long lanky strider. I worry about his legs getting tangled up and getting hurt. Thats the only real draw back. I'm fine with him at 10.

Steve Smith was still dependent on a QB getting him the ball and an offensive system benefiting his talents.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't see that.

He's build like 6-6 RB with a solid lower body and incredible short area quickness. He can sink his hips and reverse directions better than anybody I've seen at that height.
Can he tackle?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Couldn't this argument be made about every receiver?

Pretty much any player. How many quarterbacks drafted early in the 2016 draft (or even just in the first round) can be considered busts? How about all of them. Does that mean teams shouldn't take a quarterback in the first round.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Pretty much any player. How many quarterbacks drafted early in the 2016 draft (or even just in the first round) can be considered busts? How about all of them. Does that mean teams shouldn't take a quarterback in the first round.
Yeah but even quarterbacks in the 1st round hit more than tight ends do.

For the past 25 years.....do you know how many 1st round tight ends would go on to be 1st team All Pro?
Jeremy Shockey once, Dallas Clark once and Tony Gonzales.....25 YEARS.....let's lower the bar....you know how many were even 2nd team all Pros? Vernon Davis ONCE and Todd Heap and Greg Olsen who shockingly both were the 31st pick in the drafts.

Other positions bust harder than tight end because nobody really takes tight end in the 1st round. Some years you don't get any but when you do its usually no more than 1...2017 was one of the years there were THREE of them in Engram, Njoku and Howard and that's probably the poster boy for why so many people cautious about spending a 1st rounder on tight end.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I mean, the last TE that I thought was going to wreck the league was O.J. Howard. The jury is still out on him. Do you even remember him? I know, right?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean, the last TE that I thought was going to wreck the league was O.J. Howard. The jury is still out on him. Do you even remember him? I know, right?

That whole draft class I thought would do more. Engram, Howard, Njoku.......hell I even expected more Everett from the Rams....

Meanwhile, the guys behind them in Kittle and Jonnu Smith seem to be better than them......well Kittle for sure I guess jury is out on Jonnu.

jrumann59

Reaction score
There is more to the NFL tight end than being an athlete. You need to understand coverages, soft spots in the zone, how to sell a block and leak out. In college if you are superior athlete you got it made. But eventually you need to put in the time and learn your craft at the pro level. There is a reason a plodding TE like Witten could still get open with glacial speed.