Pittsburgh Pass Defense

odog422

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2410577 said:
the whole point of Temo's post is that usually the Pittsburgh D are very good individual, and team tacklers, they all swarm to the ball, and don't miss very often

while all our defenders are usually taking bad angles and/or are grabbing shoulder pads,
quite often, it's like they are on rollerskates out there, it also seems like our defenders take the Fight Club way to tackling, stand around in a group and watch an individual try to make the tackle

Did you notice how Pitt's defenders always wrapped up around the legs? It was just really good, consistent tackling the right way. Outside of Zack going for kill shots on occasion, and of course, my man Scandrick as well as Ware, our guys seem to shy from contact. They want to "knock" you down or ride you down, not tackle.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
odog422;2412793 said:
Did you notice how Pitt's defenders always wrapped up around the legs? It was just really good, consistent tackling the right way. Outside of Zack going for kill shots on occasion, and of course, my man Scandrick as well as Ware, our guys seem to shy from contact. They want to "knock" you down or ride you down, not tackle.

yes I did, I've also noticed how defenders play Barber now, it used to be that he shed so many tacklers because they would try to tackle him up high, noone, even the big guys, go for his upper-body anymore, they go for his legs, every, single time

it seems that our defenders bought the hype that they are this big, physical D that can just arm tackle everyone

odog422

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2412798 said:
yes I did, I've also noticed how defenders play Barber now, it used to be that he shed so many tacklers because they would try to tackle him up high, noone, even the big guys, go for his upper-body anymore, they go for his legs, every, single time

it seems that our defenders bought the hype that they are this big, physical D that can just arm tackle everyone

I agree to a point. I think our D mentally sort of took on the mentality of "our O can't be stopped." As a result, they never really had to feel like it was REALLY on them. Not saying it was at the front of their mind, but I always got that sense based on some of their comments and also based on their lack of urgency. And I'm talking last year and coming into this one.

The most physical aspects of the game - blocking and tackling - are mostly about attitude. Are you willing? That's an attitude that can be cultured or not. Baltimore and Pittsburgh, for example, have that culture. If you watch their games, all their guys on D go after the ball carrier and overall, they are good tacklers. Tacklers.

Talent eval plays a part, but no way every guy they stick in those respective defenses becomes tenacious, aggressive and sure tacklers without being immersed in that culture of physicality.

Temo

Reaction score
odog422;2412819 said:
I agree to a point. I think our D mentally sort of took on the mentality of "our O can't be stopped." As a result, they never really had to feel like it was REALLY on them. Not saying it was at the front of their mind, but I always got that sense based on some of their comments and also based on their lack of urgency. And I'm talking last year and coming into this one.

The most physical aspects of the game - blocking and tackling - are mostly about attitude. Are you willing? That's an attitude that can be cultured or not. Baltimore and Pittsburgh, for example, have that culture. If you watch their games, all their guys on D go after the ball carrier and overall, they are good tacklers. Tacklers.

Talent eval plays a part, but no way every guy they stick in those respective defenses becomes tenacious, aggressive and sure tacklers without being immersed in that culture of physicality.

It's funny isn't it, with all the talk about schemes and strategies that goes around, how much just comes down to the basics of physical play and sound tackling.

And it's not just coaching, it's drafting too. To just take a stab at a random example... no coach "made" Ray Lewis the physical player he is (or was, when he was in his prime)... he just IS that guy. And no one could ever make Deion into a solid tackler, that just wasn't him. The same goes for a lot of the players you see.

Maybe some of the draft (especially for the lower rounds) and Free Agent strategy needs to change. Less emphasis on pure athletisicm (I don't think anyone will deny that this team doesn't lack for athletes) and more on skilled, smart guys with sound techniques.