Places to visit in Dallas

1fisher

Reaction score
cobra;2153411 said:
That's true. BBQ is one of those things that is better if you make it correctly yourself.

I will add one thing about BBQ: if you want the best BBQ in the world while you are here to see the Cowboys, just take I35 right by the stadium and head south for a bit. Then on the other side of Austin, head west out to Driftwood. There's a place there called the Salt Lick and it is the best BBQ you will ever have period. Just leave yourself plenty of time to get back in time for the game ;)

Want some good BBQ??? Come to Memphis! You can't beat Germantown Commissary. Best BBQ in the business!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
1fisher;2153572 said:
Want some good BBQ??? Come to Memphis! You can't beat Germantown Commissary. Best BBQ in the business!

we're in texas. why in the HELL would we go to memphis to get german bbq? :eek:

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
iceberg;2153350 said:
right around texas stadium is well, iffy. you can go north to firewater. it's more a rock and roll live venue club with about average food. it's off NW Highway and technology blvd. (about 2-3 miles from the stadium.

if you just want gluttony - fogo de chao in addison is the bomb. brazillian meat house where they carve beef off on your plate and it's all you can eat. at around $60 for dinner a person, not including drinks or desert, you likely won't eat $60 in food but man alive when i need a treat this is where i go.

bono de braza in grapevine is about the same thing.

around the NW highway area is rest. row but they're a lot of chains. yes, firewater is buried in all this. joes crab shack, bennigans, chilis, and the like is here. texas land and cattle is a nice steakhouse and it's in this area also.

going south on 35 you'll close in on downtown dallas - just be careful when you go from 183 to 35. 2 lanes merge into 1 and can get messy. if you want to make a downtown run, there's a lot of other places you can visit. if you've heard of "deep ellum" - give it up. the city council has pretty much killed it.

for BBQ, hit a colters if you see one. kinda a chain here but some of the best bbq around. one in grapevine that i know of. sure one is closer but i can't think of it now.

anyway - if you have anything more specific holler and i'll be glad to help you out!

Is there a place called Tenaya's in Irving still? I can't seem to find it on the web.... It's in Las Colinas next to a Marriott Hotel I believe. They had kind of a wild game menu with four star service... I liked it when I was there. There is one in Plano that I ran across, but I can't find the one in Las Colinas.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
djtavo;2153297 said:
Hello everyone, in August im going for the first time to Texas Stadium to watch our boys play the Texans and Im also going in the regular season. Can someone tell me what are good restaurants in the area around Texas Stadium? I heard about a breakfast place that cowboys players used to go thats pretty good anyone know the name of it or any other good places ?

Thanks in advance.
It's not super close, but "La Joya Fine Mexican Dining" is great. Their margaritas area awesome. Pretty much EVERYTHING on the menu is good and the prices aren't rediculous.

6450 N Macarthur, Ste 100, Irving, Tx (972) 831-8000

Maxmadden

Reaction score
cobra;2153411 said:
That's true. BBQ is one of those things that is better if you make it correctly yourself.

I will add one thing about BBQ: if you want the best BBQ in the world while you are here to see the Cowboys, just take I35 right by the stadium and head south for a bit. Then on the other side of Austin, head west out to Driftwood. There's a place there called the Salt Lick and it is the best BBQ you will ever have period. Just leave yourself plenty of time to get back in time for the game ;)

I ate there last week and I certainly can't argue your claim. I'll say it's some of the best Ive' ever had. Too bad it's over 3 hours away and in the middle of nowhere.

For local BBQ I usually end up at he the Railhead at the corner of Montgomery and I-30 in Fort Worth. Talk about an ice cold schooner.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
djtavo;2153563 said:
Well I love BBQ and Tex Mex, so i prob check out the Sonny Bryans and Sammys, someone suggested Javiers and it looks like a nice place, but if you have anything else in mind please let me know. Thanks for the reply.

Already listed the BBQ places.

Javiers is casual to business casual. You might catch someone in there a coat and tie, but people are in there in jeans as well. If you look at the prices, that usually gives you a sign of what to wear.

I would call Javiers "upscale" Tex Mex. The other upscale Tex Mex place that is awesome, awesome is Mi Cocina. Go there and have a Mambo Taxi (potent margarita) with some Tex Mex. They have a lot of locations around the metroplex.

For casual Tex Mex, I like any of the following: Mia's (unbelievable brisket tacos and a hole in the wall type place); Manny's (a little fancier than Mia's and owned by the same people, better margaritas but not as good brisket tacos); El Fenix (one of the original's and classic tex-mex); Avilas (really good and authetic--as in surrounded by mexican neighborhoods and family owned; bring Tums); or Cafe San Miguel (Mexican-Mexican food in Dallas). Or head over to Fort Worth and go to The Experience that is Joe T. Garcia's (a hell of a great time, food is alright and family style, but quite an experience).

I just realized I could give you restaurant recommendations all day long, and I need to get back to work.

Where you'll go is probably going to depend on where you stay, which I do not know.

cbfan55

Reaction score
iceberg;2153402 said:
wow. you mean diverse opinions on a forum? : )

sonny b isn't bad, no. but they tone it down too much and cut the edges off the brisket. to me that's a very flavorful part they just toss out.

if you want real good BBQ then you need to find a hole in the wall and get out of the chains. there's one in euless i believe but i can't remember it now.

i love colters and was raised by a dad who'd smoke brisket in a propane tank and measure the smoke penetration to a T. he'd get up 6 times during the night to rotate it and make his own sauce to boot.

i know what i like and i know what i'm raised on. truth be told i don't see a whole lot of difference between many of the chains. if i want REAL good bbq i make my own.

I think its Main Street BBQ. Its pretty good though they are only open on Sat & Sun

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
cobra;2153411 said:

He speaks the truth.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
cobra;2153675 said:
Mia's (unbelievable brisket tacos and a hole in the wall type place).

If he's into history, that would be a good place to go (the famous Jerry-Jimmy grinning/plotting photo).

Or he can go to Dealy Plaza.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
djtavo;2153563 said:
Well I love BBQ and Tex Mex, so i prob check out the Sonny Bryans and Sammys, someone suggested Javiers and it looks like a nice place, but if you have anything else in mind please let me know. Thanks for the reply.

This is a chain restraunt, but Pappadeaux's sells a meal called Pasta Mardi Gras. As they don't have Pappadeaux's here in NYC, I stop by and have it everytime I'm in the DFW area. (I will be in Dallas this weekend and will be dropping by Pappadeaux)

I haven't been to Alfredo's (Italian) restaurant in Dallas. They used to be on Lemmon Ave, but it appears they've relocated to 1924 N Henderson Ave. Changing locations can affect the food so I don't know if it will be the same. It was quite good before. (better than a lot of Italian restraunts here in NYC!)

Bob's Steak and Chop House (there are several, but Lemmon Ave is the original) Bob's is a world class steak house that has been rank in the top 10 in the US by many. Personally, I love the food, but it gets loud in there sometimes and I hate that.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
nyc;2153709 said:
Bob's Steak and Chop House (there are several, but Lemmon Ave is the original) Bob's is a world class steak house that has been rank in the top 10 in the US by many. Personally, I love the food, but it gets loud in there sometimes and I hate that.

Bob's on Lemmon is great. It used to be hands-down the best for a long time. It still is very good, but it's fallen behind I think. It's still a GREAT place to go if you want a great steak and have an very, very likely chance to see Dallas Cowboys/celebrities.

Personally, though, if I were to rank the steakhouses, I would rank them as:
1a. Nick & Sam's in Uptown
1b. Del Frisco's by the Galleria (saw #22 there last time I went a couple months ago)
3a. Al Biernat's (ribeye or prime rib = heaven)
3b. Bob's
4. Pappas Bros.
5. Perry's (almost as good, but significantly cheaper than the place's above)

I would recommend Trail Dust as well because the steaks are tasty and you might get to meet the coolest Cowboys fan in the world there: DA FAN.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
djtavo;2153539 said:
thanks for the heads up on this restaurant, checked out the website and it looks really nice. you know whats the dress code for that place?
Casual the last time I was there, but ask to be sure when you call to set your reservations. Also click the restaurants link at the bottom of Javiers home page for more Dallas dinning idea's, that should answer all your questions.

Enjoy your visit.

P.S. Obey the law. You won't like Dallas county jails... they are filthy nasty. Trust me, I learned the hard way once.

;)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
cobra;2153734 said:
1b. Del Frisco's by the Galleria (saw #22 there last time I went a couple months ago)

I've only had the pleasure of eating at Del Frisco's in Manhattan. (it wasn't a pleasure) The steak was not good at all, though the lobster tail was pretty good. Being from Texas, steak is always the main course so while the lobster was good, the meal was ruined by the steak. They didn't make us pay for the steak though, but when you shell out $109 for the *small* lobster tail, you still end up paying a high price.

I'm not put off completely by my experience at Del Frisco's (well in Texas anyhow) so one day I will return. (just not to the one in Manhattan)

As for Bob's I don't know, I haven't been since I moved to NY in January 2005.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
DA FAN;2153696 said:
YOU GOTTA GO TO... Trail Dust.. Best place for steaks, ribs.

http://www.traildust.com/

For breakfast you have to go to Coppell Deli

http://www.coppelldeli.com/new/index.htm

go to their original Coppell Deli, not Deliman's grill.

i'd get some pan fried monkey nuggets before i'd eat at traildust. it's ok if your goal is to have your tie cut off cause you wore the one you got for xmas 12 years ago and finally found a use for it, but that's it. (btw, the cut off your tie to be "down home" and the few times i had to go there people would wear ties w/t-shirts just to think of how clever they were and to make me realize how some are easily entertained.

anyway - la hacienda if you want a good steak and even some mexican twist to it.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
iceberg;2153350 said:
right around texas stadium is well, iffy. you can go north to firewater. it's more a rock and roll live venue club with about average food. it's off NW Highway and technology blvd. (about 2-3 miles from the stadium.

Firewater is a fun place. I had a blast there last time I was in Dallas. Well, from what I remember...

1fisher

Reaction score
iceberg;2153611 said:
we're in texas. why in the HELL would we go to memphis to get german bbq? :eek:

LOLOL.... you'd make the drive again and again if you ever stopped by that place.

The banana pudding even taste like hickory smoke! :laugh2:

Good stuff Iceberg. If you're ever in Memphis you'll have to check it out.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
cobra;2153675 said:
Already listed the BBQ places.

Javiers is casual to business casual. You might catch someone in there a coat and tie, but people are in there in jeans as well. If you look at the prices, that usually gives you a sign of what to wear.

I would call Javiers "upscale" Tex Mex. The other upscale Tex Mex place that is awesome, awesome is Mi Cocina. Go there and have a Mambo Taxi (potent margarita) with some Tex Mex. They have a lot of locations around the metroplex.

For casual Tex Mex, I like any of the following: Mia's (unbelievable brisket tacos and a hole in the wall type place); Manny's (a little fancier than Mia's and owned by the same people, better margaritas but not as good brisket tacos); El Fenix (one of the original's and classic tex-mex); Avilas (really good and authetic--as in surrounded by mexican neighborhoods and family owned; bring Tums); or Cafe San Miguel (Mexican-Mexican food in Dallas). Or head over to Fort Worth and go to The Experience that is Joe T. Garcia's (a hell of a great time, food is alright and family style, but quite an experience).

I just realized I could give you restaurant recommendations all day long, and I need to get back to work.

Where you'll go is probably going to depend on where you stay, which I do not know.

Awesome, thanks again and for posting the links. Now i have a good idea of places to visit, i had nothing before this thread.
Im going to stay about 10 min from the stadium, my friend is doing the reservation so not sure exactly where.