Plane crashes into Austin office building

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
I just saw on CNN a small plane hit a building in Austin.
Anybody have any news?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Small Plane Crashes Into Austin, Texas, Office Building

Thursday, February 18, 2010
newscor_122x19.gif

Fox News

Feb. 18: A small plane crashed into an Austin, Texas, office building.

A small single-engine plane crashed into a seven-story office building in Austin, Texas, around 10 a.m. local time Thursday.

The Austin American-Statesman newspaper reported on its website that EMS officials have taken at least two patients to the hospital, and that there are several "walking wounded" at the scene. Paramedics have set up a triage center at the scene.

Heavy smoke could be seen coming from the building at 9420 Research Boulevard, as seen live on cable news channels. Several local witnesses on Twitter reported seeing flames coming out of the building and lots of broken glass.

KTBC reported that dozens of fire trucks were on scene and the building is being evacuated, though some people are still trapped on the second floor.

Early reports that the building housed the FBI field office in Austin later turned out not to be true. An FBI spokesman told Fox News that the FBI office in Austin is near where the plane crashed, but not in the same building

The FBI spokesman also told Fox News that as of 10:30 a.m. local time. there was nothing to indicate that this targeted the FBI or that the crash was terrorism-related.

"The building lies along a flight path," the spokesman said, so right now it looks like an "accident."

KXAN is reporting that emergency crews are on the scene, and two people are still unaccounted for, according to fire officials. The station also reported that the collision shook the entire building, and the entire front of the structure is gone.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
(CNN) -- A small airplane crashed Thursday morning into a building in Austin, Texas, said Lynn Lundsford of the Federal Aviation Administration.
Firefighters used a ladder truck and other equipment to hose down the blaze at the building, which police said was located in the 9400 block of Research Boulevard.

Traffic on a nearby interstate started to snarl as black smoke poured out of the building.

Details were still forthcoming, authorities said.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Ben in Austin here. The single engine plane was on a flight path. It was initially thought to be a building which housed the FBI. Yet later reports discovered the F.B.I. building is nearby and was not targeted. The F.B.I. states it was an accident, since the building is on a flightpath.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Even though the FBI is saying this wasn't terrorism, I'm still suspicious because they were so nearby.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3281182 said:
Ben in Austin here. The single engine plane was on a flight path. It was initially thought to be a building which housed the FBI. Yet later reports discovered the F.B.I. building is nearby and was not targeted. The F.B.I. states it was an accident, since the building is on a flightpath.

Thanks for the update.
I hope it is just an accident.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Edit* They are now saying it was intentional. Pilot set his house on fire this morning.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3281214 said:
Edit* They are now saying it was intentional. Pilot set his house on fire this morning.

That sucks. What do they say about casualties?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
vta;3281213 said:
Thanks for the update.
I hope it is just an accident.

No. New reports are saying that the pilot set his house on fire this morning... it's not looking like an accident.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
vta;3281222 said:
That sucks. What do they say about casualties?

Fire dept. still working on it. Two unaccounted for. Most people out an acted quickly since they practice fire drills.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
The local news is so slow reporting the updates of intent. So anything to substantiate those claims would be appreciated.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3281255 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/

This was an IRS building, not FBI building.

The FBI has offices in the same office complex, but not in the building that was hit.

The IRS has offices in the building that was hit. I heard that the CIA may also have a few offices in the same building. It is a 7 story building.

The guy set fire to his house, which is located in north Austin. He apparently kept his plane in Georgetown, which is just north of Austin.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Wow, the local news is just now reporting a house fire near Dapple Grey lane is linked to this. They were even there reporting on that house fire.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
joseephuss;3281261 said:
The FBI has offices in the same office complex, but not in the building that was hit.

The IRS has offices in the building that was hit. I heard that the CIA may also have a few offices in the same building. It is a 7 story building.

The guy set fire to his house, which is located in north Austin. He apparently kept his plane in Georgetown, which is just north of Austin.

Yep, this was intentional.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I'm a consultant and am onsite today. One of my friends here is from Austin and her mom worked in that building until she retired last year.

Her mom called her former boss and it appears that it was over a court case in which the IRS testified and won.

Her mom said that is exactly why she would never testify in court on any case.