Play Clock At Zero. Opinion?

glimmerman

Reaction score
McVay running to get the time out. Clearly the clock past the end zone was at zero. Not just flipped zero, but was there long before (three running steps before the ref saw him) McVay got there.

So they announcers call in the former ref and he says, "normally they give the benefit of the doubt to the coach, but time out was called too late."

This league favors offense over defense because of ratings. They protect the QB as if they were antique China that would break under a hard stare. Receivers get the benefit - unless they are Dallas receivers - which drives offense.

Defense is the red headed step child of professional football.

I cannot begin to tell you how irritated I am that McVay got the time out.. That the league does not adhere to the rules. If you want to call hand fighting between a DB and WR a penalty in an arbitrary way, I guess the head coach can stroll overt and call a time out after the results of the next play.

That was clearly a penalty and was reversed by the refs for some reason.

Am I alone on this?
I assumed there would be a flag. And I think he was expecting one but smiled when it was granted to him. Typical.

Mannix

Reaction score
-------Huh, so I guess you didn’t see Goodells alleged favorite team (the Giants) TE, Evan Engram, get called for an OPI that was very similar to Gallups?

Probably just to show a national audience that the Dallas call was not out of the norm....would you put it past the league to do that? I wouldn't. Kind of like John Travolta kissing Charlton Heston to try and make people think he always kisses guys.

robertfchew

Reaction score
McVay running to get the time out. Clearly the clock past the end zone was at zero. Not just flipped zero, but was there long before (three running steps before the ref saw him) McVay got there.

So they announcers call in the former ref and he says, "normally they give the benefit of the doubt to the coach, but time out was called too late."

This league favors offense over defense because of ratings. They protect the QB as if they were antique China that would break under a hard stare. Receivers get the benefit - unless they are Dallas receivers - which drives offense.

I cannot begin to tell you how irritated I am that McVay got the time out.. That the league does not adhere to the rules. If you want to call hand fighting between a DB and WR a penalty in an arbitrary way, I guess the head coach can stroll overt and call a time out after the results of the next play.

Am I alone on this?

but the crowd noise meant he should get the benefit of the doubt lol

TheHerd

Reaction score
Where as like most I agree that there should have been a delay of game called instead of saying a time out was called in time, but the offensive PI was the correct call. Gallup's arm was fully extended and that is offensive PI. Fans think the Cowboys got screwed on that call but completely forget or look past the fact that in the interception that Goff got hit to the head and normally that would draw a flag and the pick would have been nulified. The point is refs make mistakes.
No one is looking past the Smith blown call. Obvious and blatant penalty not called.

That don't mean the PI call was right either. Even the on camera ref noted it was a bad call, and that's rare for those guys. We lost the game for many reasons, and we deserved to lose, but let's not pretend officiating was anything but awful and played a part in the outcome.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys played a better football game no one would even remember that call.

This team has bigger issues.

Super Bowl Champions are built on luck and favorable calls. If you think every single SB Champ earned every single yard and every single call, and played every single play perfectly........you are a fool.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where as like most I agree that there should have been a delay of game called instead of saying a time out was called in time, but the offensive PI was the correct call. Gallup's arm was fully extended and that is offensive PI. Fans think the Cowboys got screwed on that call but completely forget or look past the fact that in the interception that Goff got hit to the head and normally that would draw a flag and the pick would have been nulified. The point is refs make mistakes.

If you think for one single second that calling a hands to face during live action is the same as stopped play....play clock at zero ...and calling a phantom timeout......than you are just a fool...I mean fooling yourself.

You are in the running for a the "I am a SO much more objective fan that any yall" award.

robertfchew

Reaction score
All true but lets not forget they also missed Aldon Smiths hand in Jared Goffs face on the interception.

so on the opening and closing drives they directly impact the game, definitely the same as a missed call which was probably done 25 times in between

blueblood70

Reaction score

Am I alone on this?
just anther bad call in this game..im over the rams game fluky loss hurts time to move on..15 more to go.

robertfchew

Reaction score
We can post pictures all day, should I look for the video of Donald having his jersey stretched out like pizza dough when he was getting after Dak just a few plays after the INT?

The point is we got some bad calls and non calls that hurt or helped us and so did they. It happened, it’s going to happen and there’s nothing we can do about it.

why do they always happen in critical moments against us?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so on the opening and closing drives they directly impact the game, definitely the same as a missed call which was probably done 25 times in between

That's the problem I have. I get these are humans and these are judgement calls. DB's and WR jostle ALL the time. Why call it then and there? And a bit late to boot. Like they waited until it was an actual catch...THEN threw the flag...rather than right at the contact.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No one is looking past the Smith blown call. Obvious and blatant penalty not called.

That don't mean the PI call was right either. Even the on camera ref noted it was a bad call, and that's rare for those guys. We lost the game for many reasons, and we deserved to lose, but let's not pretend officiating was anything but awful and played a part in the outcome.

AGAIN I wish the Cowboys won but that doesn't change the FACT that Gallup's arm was fully extended and that by the rules is offensive PI. The replay of that is CLEAR that his arm is fully extended. AGAIN I wish the Cowboys won but it was offensive PI.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you think for one single second that calling a hands to face during live action is the same as stopped play....play clock at zero ...and calling a phantom timeout......than you are just a fool...I mean fooling yourself.

You are in the running for a the "I am a SO much more objective fan that any yall" award.

I see you proved that you have a reading and/or understanding problem. I started out by saying I agreed that it should have been a penalty and not a time out. That was a blown call but as you put it to think for a second that the refs blew a call for a bl;ow to the head was somehow less obvious or important than your delay of game penalty than you proved yourself to be in the running for homer fan of the year who's afraid of truth award.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see you proved that you have a reading and/or understanding problem. I started out by saying I agreed that it should have been a penalty and not a time out. That was a blown call but as you put it to think for a second that the refs blew a call for a bl;ow to the head was somehow less obvious or important than your delay of game penalty than you proved yourself to be in the running for homer fan of the year who's afraid of truth award.

YOU are the one that brought up the hands to the face...as if trying to equate the two as equal calls. Why not just comment on the topic?

"your delay of game penalty" "your". That wasn't mine. It's OURS. Are you a cowboys fan? I mean you just said it should have been called...now you are saying it's mine?

You are playing both sides here...almost like a troll. I don;t think you are....but you have some logic consistency issues. If you agree that it should have been called...then it's "OURS"...not "YOURS".

I stand by my statement. (you trying to act like the two should offset each other...at least that is how I read it.....did you miswrite? )

Not saying the slap on Goff wasn't a penalty.....BUT....You can't equate the two missed calls. One is during the heat of intense action. Those of course can get missed on both sides. The other during stopped clock, no one moving and no real time out called. Shouldn't; even be mentioned in the same paragraph.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AGAIN I wish the Cowboys won but that doesn't change the FACT that Gallup's arm was fully extended and that by the rules is offensive PI. The replay of that is CLEAR that his arm is fully extended. AGAIN I wish the Cowboys won but it was offensive PI.

So the DB NEVER extended his arm? He in fact did it first. They got tangled up.....this is way more often a no call...just two player battling out downfield.....

but suddenly AFTER the completion...the flag came out. Come on.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Flag came out AFTER the completion and AFTER Gallop was actually down. It's bull:

Referee waited until it was a catch..then threw the flag:

aria

Reaction score
why do they always happen in critical moments against us?
Did the Detroit non call not happen during a “critical” time?

Does it really matter if that call/non call happened in the 1st quarter or 4th? Either way it changes the game and points are points.

Did the non call Goff INT happen at a non critical time even though we got points out of it?

Ever think that maybe those plays happened because we committed a penalty?

Give it up.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
So you do agree the NFL has it in for Jerry with fake bull sheet calls. Cool!
Its to the point now its too obvious. I kean teams dont trade with the cowboys. We have constant suspensions even with no proof. Terrible officiating deciding games. I think jerry pissed them off a long time ago