Player personnel for next season needs

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not giving up on the season and plan on watching the rest of the season even if the team sucks. Even with success or no success, I think we need to look towards next season.

For me, I would like to to alleviate the reliance on certain players because as we can see...one of them gets injured and the house of cards crumble.

QB - Romo isn't going to last forever and I think it's a real mistake to think he will be the same Romo at age 37. We also need to look at a QB to replace him and my hope would be to get at least 1 year of Romo as the starter and then bring in the young QB if need be. If we get 2 or 3 years of healthy Romo...fantastic. Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt by sitting out those years. So I think this is a situation where if we have the QB in the 1st round we like and is a 1st round talent, we take him. If not, then we better look at possible first round rated QB's that fall to the second round.

WR - I think we need some legit deep speed at WR. Somebody that can fight off the press and get separation deep. Perhaps somebody that has that ability, but doesn't have other parts of the game to be a first round pick. I"m not sure if Butler brings that or not. With Dez out, it's really exposed the flaws of Williams and now it makes Witten's and Beasley's job almost impossible.

TE - I wouldn't mind seeing a matchup problem here. I think this is a less pressing need unless we find a legit speedy TE. Problem is that the coaching staff will insist on him being a good blocker and won't use that pass receiving/doesn't block TE very well. Escobar just can't get separation.

RT - Free was decent. Not sure if Collins can make the transition and now we have to worry about Leary who has not looked good. If there's a darn good, BPA in the first round...I could live with it. However, I doubt we will spend another 1st rounder on the O-Line for quite some time.

DE - Depends on what happens with Hardy and how Gregory develops. If we lose Hardy, DE is still an issue.

LB - I think it's foolish to continue to rely on Sean Lee. If we can get Ro. McClain to be a stable player it would do wonders as I already like the idea of McClain-Lee-Hitchens at LB and Hitchens having the ability to move to the WILL if Lee gets hurt and Wilson possibly developing into a starter. Too early to tell here, but if McClain isn't the guy, if a BPA is there in the first round at MLB, I can see us taking that.

CB - This has been a pleasant surprise, but it's still too early to tell with Claiborne. His technique in coverage is so much better, but he's still not much in the way of a tackler. I think Byron Jones is the type of player needed to make a special defense because he's a hybrid player. But, if our safety play isn't better, we may need to move him to safety full time.

S - I still like Wilcox. But, I think he's playing a bit out of position. Church had a much better game...but I think with the injuries we have...it would be prudent to get some really good safeties because they are the 'last line of defense.' This is a place where we could probably look at a free agent, although I don't see a really good safety becoming a FA these days as safeties are becoming more and more important in the league.

So to me, the priority of needs are:

1. Future QB
2. RB
3. WR (deep speed, can come in and dominate at the #2 WR spot)
4. SS
5. LB (if McClain doesn't work out, this may be a higher need)

YR

RunDMC

Reaction score
Romo isn't gonna be 37 until 2017. Yes we do need to draft a quarterback. If the Cowboys don't we know they don't care about the future.

Zman5

Reaction score
I hope they don't spend another high/mid draft pick on a TE. Witt looks like he is going to play for another 10 years.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Jerry will probably go for a WR to get Tony another weapon to go with Dez before the Romo window closes. Right now, it sounds good to me. We clearly need a great running back and we have to get started on QB, so hopefully those will be high picks as well. A safety would help, too.

Zman5

Reaction score
We need a KR/PR as well. Maybe Lucky will get better next year but we should still draft one if there is a good one avaialble in the later rounds.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I never thought I'd say this, but I want our top 3 picks in the 2016 NFL Draft to be offense.

QB
RB
WR

In whatever order fits right.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Future QB doesn't exist in this league. We get one when Romo leaves. You can't waste the money or draft pick on a back-up.

We need a stud RB and another CB next year, a 1T, a speed WR/KR and a FS. The same exact things we need this year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah this is the thing about drafting a Romo replacement with anything but a top 1st round pick. It would be a waste of time. Not as bad as wasting a 2nd rounder on a tight end we don't use but it would be close.

The biggest glaring on this team right now is a receiver. I had no idea things were this bad after Dez. Granted, Dez and Romo make things a lot easier for others but receiver needs to be addressed. Even more so than running back.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
To me, safety, corner, and DT need to be addressed.

On offense WR, RT, QB.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Losing Romo exposes a lot of needs and that is a problem. One or two off-seasons will not fix this.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
When we are healthy, we're legit contenders to win it all... So it makes no sense for us to be wasting a quality draft pick on a QB...

In terms of needs, this is where I think we should focus

1. Safety
2. DT/DE
3. RB
4. CB
5. WR
6. LB

The offense is usually pretty potent with Romo out there, but we need a defense that can win games for us.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
When we are healthy, we're legit contenders to win it all... So it makes no sense for us to be wasting a quality draft pick on a QB...

In terms of needs, this is where I think we should focus

1. Safety
2. DT/DE
3. RB
4. CB
5. WR
6. LB

The offense is usually pretty potent with Romo out there, but we need a defense that can win games for us.

Yes, it does. Because this team lives and dies with Romo and let's face it he's not getting any younger.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
One of our biggest needs is a heir apparent to Romo. When he quits/retires we are going to be SOL with a solid replacement. Jerry should know this after numerous attempts to find the next "Aikman".

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I just don't see Hardy going anywhere unless he has another of the field issue. His teammates love him, his coaches love him outside of the 2 speaking gaffes(which I could care less about).

I would place the needs in order as

Safety
Reciever
Running Back
Corner
Defensive Tackle

Depending on how high or low we pick, I could see something like

(10-20)
1st Zeke RB
2nd Doctson WR

Or

1st Boyd WR
2nd Booker RB

If we're picking in the 20's you just have to go as close to BPA as possible since the blue chippers are probably gone anyways.

I would love to get J. Ramsey, but we would probably have to go 2-10 the rest of the way to get him. He would be my starting FS for the next 10 years. If you're picking that high up though, you could possibly have a shot at Goff who I personally love, despite his last game.

A big chunk of our needs are practically the same as 80% of teams. FS is so thin it's not even funny. CB isn't a deep talent pool for upper echelon talent in the league, nor in the draft. It's going to be hard to fill those. I wouldn't be opposed to a legit SS who takes good angles and can actually tackle though.

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
I still say this draft should be very heavy on defense, but I could be talked into a first-round WR a lot faster than I could a first-round QB. But he better be a Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas type that just falls into our lap. I would stay away from RB in the first-round, ask Felix Jones why...

In the first-round, I'd probably go BPA between the positions of FS/SS, DT, DE, CB.

In the second-round, I'd go BPA between the positions of FS/SS, DT, DE, RB, WR

In the 3rd Round, DT, DE, LB, RB, WR

If we have seven picks, I'd want at least 5 of them to be on defense.

ClamChowdah

Reaction score
You need a WR, Beasley is a good little slot guy, Dez is a beast everyone else isn't good enough.

Witten is coming to the end of his career too, you might need someone more dynamic at TE soon.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Future QB doesn't exist in this league. We get one when Romo leaves. You can't waste the money or draft pick on a back-up.

We need a stud RB and another CB next year, a 1T, a speed WR/KR and a FS. The same exact things we need this year.

I agree that it doesn't quite exist in this league, but that doesn't mean that it's the 'right move.'

The Packers drafted Rodgers when they had Favre who simply did not miss games and could still go. They sat him out for 3 years, became contenders under Favre once again and then transitioned seamlessly to the Aaron Rodgers era.

I can understand the risk...if you draft a QB in the first round, sit him down and still doesn't work out...it's costly. But, I think it's more costly to continue to have to draft QB's because you can't hit on the one you want in part due to them starting right away. It's like playing golf and continuing to pay less for a golf club off the rack, but doing it continually because you never like it versus paying the extra $$$ for the custom fit club that is the only club you buy for a long time.

YR