Player personnel for next season needs

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not giving up on the season and plan on watching the rest of the season even if the team sucks. Even with success or no success, I think we need to look towards next season.

For me, I would like to to alleviate the reliance on certain players because as we can see...one of them gets injured and the house of cards crumble.

QB - Romo isn't going to last forever and I think it's a real mistake to think he will be the same Romo at age 37. We also need to look at a QB to replace him and my hope would be to get at least 1 year of Romo as the starter and then bring in the young QB if need be. If we get 2 or 3 years of healthy Romo...fantastic. Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt by sitting out those years. So I think this is a situation where if we have the QB in the 1st round we like and is a 1st round talent, we take him. If not, then we better look at possible first round rated QB's that fall to the second round.

WR - I think we need some legit deep speed at WR. Somebody that can fight off the press and get separation deep. Perhaps somebody that has that ability, but doesn't have other parts of the game to be a first round pick. I"m not sure if Butler brings that or not. With Dez out, it's really exposed the flaws of Williams and now it makes Witten's and Beasley's job almost impossible.

TE - I wouldn't mind seeing a matchup problem here. I think this is a less pressing need unless we find a legit speedy TE. Problem is that the coaching staff will insist on him being a good blocker and won't use that pass receiving/doesn't block TE very well. Escobar just can't get separation.

RT - Free was decent. Not sure if Collins can make the transition and now we have to worry about Leary who has not looked good. If there's a darn good, BPA in the first round...I could live with it. However, I doubt we will spend another 1st rounder on the O-Line for quite some time.

DE - Depends on what happens with Hardy and how Gregory develops. If we lose Hardy, DE is still an issue.

LB - I think it's foolish to continue to rely on Sean Lee. If we can get Ro. McClain to be a stable player it would do wonders as I already like the idea of McClain-Lee-Hitchens at LB and Hitchens having the ability to move to the WILL if Lee gets hurt and Wilson possibly developing into a starter. Too early to tell here, but if McClain isn't the guy, if a BPA is there in the first round at MLB, I can see us taking that.

CB - This has been a pleasant surprise, but it's still too early to tell with Claiborne. His technique in coverage is so much better, but he's still not much in the way of a tackler. I think Byron Jones is the type of player needed to make a special defense because he's a hybrid player. But, if our safety play isn't better, we may need to move him to safety full time.

S - I still like Wilcox. But, I think he's playing a bit out of position. Church had a much better game...but I think with the injuries we have...it would be prudent to get some really good safeties because they are the 'last line of defense.' This is a place where we could probably look at a free agent, although I don't see a really good safety becoming a FA these days as safeties are becoming more and more important in the league.

So to me, the priority of needs are:

1. Future QB
2. RB
3. WR (deep speed, can come in and dominate at the #2 WR spot)
4. SS
5. LB (if McClain doesn't work out, this may be a higher need)

YR

QB... It's all about the QB..

30yrheel

Reaction score
All of a sudden we have a lot of needs. With Romo, playoffs. Without Romo, rebuilding.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I'm not giving up on the season and plan on watching the rest of the season even if the team sucks. Even with success or no success, I think we need to look towards next season.

For me, I would like to to alleviate the reliance on certain players because as we can see...one of them gets injured and the house of cards crumble.

QB - Romo isn't going to last forever and I think it's a real mistake to think he will be the same Romo at age 37. We also need to look at a QB to replace him and my hope would be to get at least 1 year of Romo as the starter and then bring in the young QB if need be. If we get 2 or 3 years of healthy Romo...fantastic. Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt by sitting out those years. So I think this is a situation where if we have the QB in the 1st round we like and is a 1st round talent, we take him. If not, then we better look at possible first round rated QB's that fall to the second round.

WR - I think we need some legit deep speed at WR. Somebody that can fight off the press and get separation deep. Perhaps somebody that has that ability, but doesn't have other parts of the game to be a first round pick. I"m not sure if Butler brings that or not. With Dez out, it's really exposed the flaws of Williams and now it makes Witten's and Beasley's job almost impossible.

TE - I wouldn't mind seeing a matchup problem here. I think this is a less pressing need unless we find a legit speedy TE. Problem is that the coaching staff will insist on him being a good blocker and won't use that pass receiving/doesn't block TE very well. Escobar just can't get separation.

RT - Free was decent. Not sure if Collins can make the transition and now we have to worry about Leary who has not looked good. If there's a darn good, BPA in the first round...I could live with it. However, I doubt we will spend another 1st rounder on the O-Line for quite some time.

DE - Depends on what happens with Hardy and how Gregory develops. If we lose Hardy, DE is still an issue.

LB - I think it's foolish to continue to rely on Sean Lee. If we can get Ro. McClain to be a stable player it would do wonders as I already like the idea of McClain-Lee-Hitchens at LB and Hitchens having the ability to move to the WILL if Lee gets hurt and Wilson possibly developing into a starter. Too early to tell here, but if McClain isn't the guy, if a BPA is there in the first round at MLB, I can see us taking that.

CB - This has been a pleasant surprise, but it's still too early to tell with Claiborne. His technique in coverage is so much better, but he's still not much in the way of a tackler. I think Byron Jones is the type of player needed to make a special defense because he's a hybrid player. But, if our safety play isn't better, we may need to move him to safety full time.

S - I still like Wilcox. But, I think he's playing a bit out of position. Church had a much better game...but I think with the injuries we have...it would be prudent to get some really good safeties because they are the 'last line of defense.' This is a place where we could probably look at a free agent, although I don't see a really good safety becoming a FA these days as safeties are becoming more and more important in the league.

So to me, the priority of needs are:

1. Future QB
2. RB
3. WR (deep speed, can come in and dominate at the #2 WR spot)
4. SS
5. LB (if McClain doesn't work out, this may be a higher need)

YR

sooooooo you are thinking we are set without a good FS? the team (not coaches) disagree.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
sooooooo you are thinking we are set without a good FS? the team (not coaches) disagree.

I think we can move Wilcox to SS and move Jones to FS. Although I would rather keep Jones as a hybrid as there's more value there.

If we came into the draft and the BPA was a SS and we really like him, I'd rather go that route instead of taking less talent at FS that is a better fit than Wilcox at the position.

YR

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think we can move Wilcox to SS and move Jones to FS. Although I would rather keep Jones as a hybrid as there's more value there.

If we came into the draft and the BPA was a SS and we really like him, I'd rather go that route instead of taking less talent at FS that is a better fit than Wilcox at the position.

YR

yea ok, i might come around to that train of thought. (damn it) lol ill agree to that, but i agree a QB is in dire need and than i like a good FS, but if we believe Jones is that FS, all the better. If a good FS is in the second, take him.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
yea ok, i might come around to that train of thought. (damn it) lol ill agree to that, but i agree a QB is in dire need and than i like a good FS, but if we believe Jones is that FS, all the better. If a good FS is in the second, take him.

Grantland did an article about a year ago talking about how the safety position is becoming more important and how teams are seeking out these hybrid safeties to be able to take on giant TE's and big WR's. I think Jones showed his value against Gronk who he held in check better than most. I think if you move him to FS permanently, it takes away him being able to rove around and pick up a player like Gronk. That's why I would rather keep him doing what he's doing. Of course, if we can find another Byron Jones type...then we may be onto something.

YR

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Grantland did an article about a year ago talking about how the safety position is becoming more important and how teams are seeking out these hybrid safeties to be able to take on giant TE's and big WR's. I think Jones showed his value against Gronk who he held in check better than most. I think if you move him to FS permanently, it takes away him being able to rove around and pick up a player like Gronk. That's why I would rather keep him doing what he's doing. Of course, if we can find another Byron Jones type...then we may be onto something.

YR

i agree, at the time of my reply you had way more thought into it than I. I see your point this way. Yes a QB is needed, but i agree with your take, Jones would be better roving. Completely agree, was just taking me a moment to get up to speed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree that it doesn't quite exist in this league, but that doesn't mean that it's the 'right move.'

The Packers drafted Rodgers when they had Favre who simply did not miss games and could still go. They sat him out for 3 years, became contenders under Favre once again and then transitioned seamlessly to the Aaron Rodgers era.

I can understand the risk...if you draft a QB in the first round, sit him down and still doesn't work out...it's costly. But, I think it's more costly to continue to have to draft QB's because you can't hit on the one you want in part due to them starting right away. It's like playing golf and continuing to pay less for a golf club off the rack, but doing it continually because you never like it versus paying the extra $$$ for the custom fit club that is the only club you buy for a long time.

YR

Rodgers was a fluke. He fell into the 20s and everyone in the league choked. Green Bay couldn't let him pass even though they had Favre.

If a franchise QB falls into the late first again I would take him.

But otherwise we have to rely on Romo for the foreseeable future. He is so good right now it is scary. Look at Brady, the Mannings and Carson Palmer. Stay with the old guy until he literally can't do it anymore.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I still want a top defensive tackle and a game savy wide receiver. Development at offensive tackle, could still be found in our PUP lineman currently on roster.

It might be time to finally invest in a pretty good safety via free agency in the off season.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Future QB doesn't exist in this league. We get one when Romo leaves. You can't waste the money or draft pick on a back-up.

We need a stud RB and another CB next year, a 1T, a speed WR/KR and a FS. The same exact things we need this year.

Since when does Future QB not exist? Aaron Rodgers? Check. Jimmy G? Check. Lots of future QBs are drafted in the 1st/2nd. Maybe they don't always work out... but it definitely exists in this league. I would be very pleased if we spent a 1st or 2nd on a promising QB to sit under Romo for a year or two. That way we don't go through a decade of the Quincys, Clint Stoeners, Drew Henson... or, perhaps... even more to the point.. our season doesn't depend on Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, or any other journeyman QB we bring in for the possibility of Romo getting hurt.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I would thoroughly investigate and workout all of the QB's and be ready to take a guy we love.

I would not make a major trade up to get him unless I'm convinced he's a sure thing.

That being said, the defense needs an upgrade and 9 players in the defensive 2-deep will be free agents.

Here's the thing. As long as Romo can play, this team has a chance. He turns mediocre WR's into weapons and he brings this team back from the dead time after time. The O Line is set, even if it's not playing up to the standards we expect from them. Go get him a decent defense. Even if you believe that Marinelli walks on water, go out and get him some actual talent to coach. Then, whenever the next QB gets here, whether that's the 2016 draft or the 2017 draft, he walks onto a team with a Pro Bowl o-line and a solid defense. That's a great situation to be in for a young QB.

fortdick

Reaction score
I would start looking for a QB as soon as one that fits the system is available. Get a guy that can sit two years, knowing he will be just the backup, and follow Romo around like a puppy. The third year he can compete for the job, or, if Romo gets hurt and he leads the team to the promised land, and not before.

See Rogers and Farve.

Isn't it first round picks that get a fifth year option? That is why you go first round for QB, so you can play him a couple years before handed over big money.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Since when does Future QB not exist? Aaron Rodgers? Check. Jimmy G? Check. Lots of future QBs are drafted in the 1st/2nd. Maybe they don't always work out... but it definitely exists in this league. I would be very pleased if we spent a 1st or 2nd on a promising QB to sit under Romo for a year or two. That way w,e don't go through a decade of the Quincys, Clint Stoeners, Drew Henson... or, perhaps... even more to the point.. our season doesn't depend on Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, or any other journeyman QB we bring in for the possibility of Romo getting hurt.

One example in 20 years. Jimmy G???? C'mon, he is another Cassel, Hoyer or whoever else they draft every year.

Like I said, if Aaron Rodgers falls to 24 again I would take him.

pgreptom

Reaction score
One example in 20 years. Jimmy G???? C'mon, he is another Cassel, Hoyer or whoever else they draft every year.

I don't think Jimmy G will be another Cassel but we're both clueless at the end of the day. Aaron Rodgers + Jimmy G is two examples. I could research more but my point wasn't to dispute your argument or flame you with a million pages. Just wanted to point out that is it done and it's done by some of the best in the league(I don't doubt much BB does these days. 4 rings speaks volumes)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think Jimmy G will be another Cassel but we're both clueless at the end of the day. Aaron Rodgers + Jimmy G is two examples. I could research more but my point wasn't to dispute your argument or flame you with a million pages. Just wanted to point out that is it done and it's done by some of the best in the league(I don't doubt much BB does these days. 4 rings speaks volumes)

You can flame all you want. Teams don't develop their next franchise QB behind their current franchise QB.

The Pats have drafted a bunch of QBs and none of them have become franchise QBs anywhere else.

It just isn't done and it would be a huge waste of resources and money.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, Palmer, Eli, Brees all sat as rookies

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't be serious

Rivers and Rodgers both sat for 2 years. Brady sat his first season. Brees sat his first season. Palmer sat his first season.

Scratch Eli. He actually started more as a rookie then I though

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Rivers and Rodgers both sat for 2 years. Brady sat his first season. Brees sat his first season. Palmer sat his first season.

Scratch Eli. He actually started more as a rookie then I though

And they were first round picks, some of them top 5. That is how you get QBs when you need one.

Brady was a fluke. Mr 199, 6th round pick. Just like Romo. You can't plan those.

Wasting resources when you have a Romo under contract for multiple years is pointless.

Just work harder to find a better backup. We jumped on Weeden because he was free and we still overpaid.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And they were first round picks, some of them top 5. That is how you get QBs when you need one.

Brady was a fluke. Mr 199, 6th round pick. Just like Romo. You can't plan those.

Wasting resources when you have a Romo under contract for multiple years is pointless.

Just work harder to find a better backup. We jumped on Weeden because he was free and we still overpaid.

Id agree with you during seasons like last year that featured a weak class and you were going to reach for any QB you took after Mariota. This year however looks like one of the deeper classes in a while. Garrett Grayson would have likely been the 10th best QB this year. If your drafting at around 20, there is a good chance you will be able to get a QB that would go top 10 in a weaker year like Cook or Hackenberger