Player personnel for next season needs

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Id agree with you during seasons like last year that featured a weak class and you were going to reach for any QB you took after Mariota. This year however looks like one of the deeper classes in a while. Garrett Grayson would have likely been the 10th best QB this year. If your drafting at around 20, there is a good chance you will be able to get a QB that would go top 10 in a weaker year like Cook or Hackenberger

How can you trade Fred, Martin or BJones for a guy that won't even play for 4 years unless Romo gets hurt?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And they were first round picks, some of them top 5. That is how you get QBs when you need one.

Brady was a fluke. Mr 199, 6th round pick. Just like Romo. You can't plan those.

Wasting resources when you have a Romo under contract for multiple years is pointless.

Just work harder to find a better backup. We jumped on Weeden because he was free and we still overpaid.

Also if you take a QB in the first you have them for 5 years. That gives you about 2 years to develope as a back up and 3 years under a rookie deal. Also Romo has gotten hurt an awful lot so a QB we pick is likely to have a handful of starts while he develops.

It depends on how you look at the draft. If you want plug and play guys then QB isnt for you. I just dont think you should look to the draft for instant gratification

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How can you trade Fred, Martin or BJones for a guy that won't even play for 4 years unless Romo gets hurt?
Well if you think Romo plays that long it wouldnt make any sense to draft a QB.

I don't think he plays that long though. I think he plays 2 more seasons

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Also if you take a QB in the first you have them for 5 years. That gives you about 2 years to develope as a back up and 3 years under a rookie deal. Also Romo has gotten hurt an awful lot so a QB we pick is likely to have a handful of starts while he develops.

It depends on how you look at the draft. If you want plug and play guys then QB isnt for you. I just dont think you should look to the draft for instant gratification

You might have him for 5 years but you are paying a premium.

Why not just pay for a quality backup like Orton and keep your first round picks.

AND I am riding Romo for as long as possible. DEN is still 5-0 with a hobbled Peyton, he doesn't cost them games.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You might have him for 5 years but you are paying a premium.

Why not just pay for a quality backup like Orton and keep your first round picks.

AND I am riding Romo for as long as possible. DEN is still 5-0 with a hobbled Peyton, he doesn't cost them games.

They also drafted Osweiler to groom behind Manning. Just like the Patriot took Garpopolo to groom behind Brady. Doesnt have to be a round 1 guy, but at this point in time I think the Cowboy's should pay a premium to ensure that the team they built will still be able to compete once Romo retires.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They also drafted Osweiler to groom behind Manning. Just like the Patriot took Garpopolo to groom behind Brady. Doesnt have to be a round 1 guy, but at this point in time I think the Cowboy's should pay a premium to ensure that the team they built will still be able to compete once Romo retires.

It is all a crapshoot. Who said Osweiler is a starter.

How do you know if they are any good? Just because you have lowered expectations because you took them in the 4th round it doesn't ensure they will be good enough. First round picks are busts.

So you have to take one every year and keep them all or expose them to waivers or trade them and repeat the whole process.

There is no system to grooming QBs in the NFL.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is all a crapshoot. Who said Osweiler is a starter.

How do you know if they are any good? Just because you have lowered expectations because you took them in the 4th round it doesn't ensure they will be good enough. First round picks are busts.

So you have to take one every year and keep them all or expose them to waivers or trade them and repeat the whole process.

There is no system to grooming QBs in the NFL.

All first round picks and all picks for that matter are crapshoots. You cant ignore a position just because its a crapshoot

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RT - Free was decent. Not sure if Collins can make the transition and now we have to worry about Leary who has not looked good. If there's a darn good, BPA in the first round...I could live with it.

So to me, the priority of needs are:

4. SS

RT = Green

We need a FS not another SS.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
1) QB
2) DT
3) S

Those are the big holes right now...

csirl

Reaction score
1) QB - Romo has at most a couple of seasons and misses a lot of games.
2) Safety - we badly need a dominant player in the middle of the secondary who scares WRs.
3) WR - need more depth.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Green has not shown us anything. Not to say he's a bust, but I don't like our odds of moving him into the starting rotation next year and him performing well.

Well he really hasn't had much of chance has he? Kind of an unfair comment to make don't you think?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Well he really hasn't had much of chance has he? Kind of an unfair comment to make don't you think?

It means that I would not rely on him to be penciled in as the starter. Especially since he was a 3rd round pick anyway. I would feel more comfortable if he was active and uninjured and learning the game through practice. But expecting him to step in and perform well at RT after basically a redshirt season is ill-advised to me.

YR

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
As far as QB - it depends on what happens the rest of this season. Cassel is obviously not the future here, But is he that good veteran backup ? We will soon see. (Weeden is gone). What is Moore ? Is he this years Vaughan, or is there something there that can be coached up - again we will have to see, great college QB tho. But those questions need to be answered before we use the top 1 or 2 draft spots to take a player that will hopefully sit for another year or three.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not giving up on the season and plan on watching the rest of the season even if the team sucks. Even with success or no success, I think we need to look towards next season.

For me, I would like to to alleviate the reliance on certain players because as we can see...one of them gets injured and the house of cards crumble.

QB - Romo isn't going to last forever and I think it's a real mistake to think he will be the same Romo at age 37. We also need to look at a QB to replace him and my hope would be to get at least 1 year of Romo as the starter and then bring in the young QB if need be. If we get 2 or 3 years of healthy Romo...fantastic. Aaron Rodgers wasn't hurt by sitting out those years. So I think this is a situation where if we have the QB in the 1st round we like and is a 1st round talent, we take him. If not, then we better look at possible first round rated QB's that fall to the second round.

WR - I think we need some legit deep speed at WR. Somebody that can fight off the press and get separation deep. Perhaps somebody that has that ability, but doesn't have other parts of the game to be a first round pick. I"m not sure if Butler brings that or not. With Dez out, it's really exposed the flaws of Williams and now it makes Witten's and Beasley's job almost impossible.

TE - I wouldn't mind seeing a matchup problem here. I think this is a less pressing need unless we find a legit speedy TE. Problem is that the coaching staff will insist on him being a good blocker and won't use that pass receiving/doesn't block TE very well. Escobar just can't get separation.

RT - Free was decent. Not sure if Collins can make the transition and now we have to worry about Leary who has not looked good. If there's a darn good, BPA in the first round...I could live with it. However, I doubt we will spend another 1st rounder on the O-Line for quite some time.

DE - Depends on what happens with Hardy and how Gregory develops. If we lose Hardy, DE is still an issue.

LB - I think it's foolish to continue to rely on Sean Lee. If we can get Ro. McClain to be a stable player it would do wonders as I already like the idea of McClain-Lee-Hitchens at LB and Hitchens having the ability to move to the WILL if Lee gets hurt and Wilson possibly developing into a starter. Too early to tell here, but if McClain isn't the guy, if a BPA is there in the first round at MLB, I can see us taking that.

CB - This has been a pleasant surprise, but it's still too early to tell with Claiborne. His technique in coverage is so much better, but he's still not much in the way of a tackler. I think Byron Jones is the type of player needed to make a special defense because he's a hybrid player. But, if our safety play isn't better, we may need to move him to safety full time.

S - I still like Wilcox. But, I think he's playing a bit out of position. Church had a much better game...but I think with the injuries we have...it would be prudent to get some really good safeties because they are the 'last line of defense.' This is a place where we could probably look at a free agent, although I don't see a really good safety becoming a FA these days as safeties are becoming more and more important in the league.

So to me, the priority of needs are:

1. Future QB
2. RB
3. WR (deep speed, can come in and dominate at the #2 WR spot)
4. SS
5. LB (if McClain doesn't work out, this may be a higher need)

YR

CB and RT are going to be the biggest questions in the off-season.

Free was never great and has had 2 foot/angle surgeries in the past 2 years and is now over 30. He could fall off the cliff at any minute.

Green might be the guy but they can't count on that. We don't know how he will perform or if he can stay healthy.

I would love to see Collins at RT with a healthy Leary back at LG but that seems highly unlikely now.

CB is going to be position where they have to make many decisions.

Carr can't possibly stay with his salary being even higher next season.

Claiborne is playing decent but not great. He has never been reliable and is finally playing his best in a contract season. He is still limited to playing primarily man coverage because zone is too mentally complicated for him. Not being able to mix up man/zone is a big reason that the Cowboy and especially Claiborne are targeted with pick plays.

White is a free agent.

Patmon lost his job to White.

Jones primarily played Safety or a Safety/CB hybrid position this season and might be on the verge of being a starting Safety this season.

That leaves Scandrick as the only "sure thing" at CB next season and he's best when limited to the slot CB position.

bodi

Reaction score
I would love to see Collins at RT

I hope to never see that