Players bullying front office

visionary

Reaction score
So is dak’s management looking at the zeke and tank deals and how they handle it and planning to do the same. Will we see the front office standing their ground this time and pushing back.

zeke you could say was the best rb in the league.
Lawrence you could make a case for top 3 at his position.
But dak? Not close at this point. And to want $40 million. $5 million more per year than any other qb is ridiculous.

It’s happening because Jerry is an idiot and caved to Zeke and DLaw last year

This is exactly why the owner should not be the GM and negotiating contracts

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The sad fact of the matter with Dak's contract negotiations is that the Cowboys should have settled their negotiations with Dak months ago. Trying to get a team-friendly deal after boasting about how generously Dak would be paid was far from any way to approach negotiating from a position of strength.

Dak is being represented by Todd France, a well-known and respected player agent working under the auspices of a young organization that is devoted to getting the best deals for their clients that can be had. Such a prize would surely promise to be a big "feather in their hat" to do exactly that.

Dak & Co. fully realizes that the onus is on the Cowboys to give them a great deal, since the franchise tag would only make matters worse for the Cowboys. It's to Dak's and his backing's advantage to bide their time. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, they're too keenly aware of it.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Mahomes deal......I said before, his deal could set off a market correction at the position for other QB deals following his. In other words, coz of his credential ( postseason records including SB), his deal could be the ceiling for the QB market for the next 3-4 years.
Is mahomes contract up or does he still have a year left.[/QUOTE]

He's going into his fourth year....so it's 1 year plus 5th optional year, but it's the first year ( 4th of the rookie deal) they can extend him. The bottom line, they can sign him to a new NOW or wait two more years. He becomes an UFA 2022. Word is they going to start working a new after the draft, which is smart. They can probably get him signed NOW under $50M but a year from now, unlikely....highly unlikely.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is mahomes contract up or does he still have a year left.

He's going into his fourth year....so it's 1 year plus 5th optional year, but it's the first year ( 4th of the rookie deal) they can extend him. The bottom line, they can sign him to a new NOW or wait two more years. He becomes an UFA 2022. Word is they going to start working a new after the draft, which is smart. They can probably get him signed NOW under $50M but a year from now, unlikely....highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]
So he could if he wanted decide to not sign and play his last year of his rookie contract. That’s if he wanted to bet on himself. I am sure he will be more than happy to sign. But if he wanted to.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And that is why owners need to hold fast longer... Players get paid undeserved amounts of money cuz owners just pay it

No one in the Cowboys organization gets paid more "undeserved" money than Stephen Jones. Dude was just handed his positions and hasn't accomplished anything.

The owners wanted the salary cap to ensure their bottom line. It's not on the players if teams can't manage it.

kskboys

Reaction score
The sad fact of the matter with Dak's contract negotiations is that the Cowboys should have settled their negotiations with Dak months ago. Trying to get a team-friendly deal after boasting about how generously Dak would be paid was far from any way to approach negotiating from a position of strength.

Dak is being represented by Todd France, a well-known and respected player agent working under the auspices of a young organization that is devoted to getting the best deals for their clients that can be had. It would surely promise to be a big "feather in their hat" to do exactly that.

Dak & Co. fully realizes that the onus is on the Cowboys to give them a great deal, since the franchise tag would only make matters worse for the Cowboys. It's to Dak's and his backing's advantage to bide their time. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, they're too keenly aware of it.
Don't see how it would make it worse.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one in the Cowboys organization gets paid more "undeserved" money than Stephen Jones. Dude was just handed his positions and hasn't accomplished anything.

The owners wanted the salary cap to ensure their bottom line. It's not on the players if teams can't manage it.
They are managing it. That's why Dak isn't signed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Don't see how it would make it worse.

As soon as the franchise tag deal ended, the escalated contract deals would command a new one that would be a trend setter for years to come. That's exactly why Stephen and the Cowboys want to settle this contract deal quickly, before March 10 comes and the franchise tag takes effect.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He's going into his fourth year....so it's 1 year plus 5th optional year, but it's the first year ( 4th of the rookie deal) they can extend him. The bottom line, they can sign him to a new NOW or wait two more years. He becomes an UFA 2022. Word is they going to start working a new after the draft, which is smart. They can probably get him signed NOW under $50M but a year from now, unlikely....highly unlikely.
So he could if he wanted decide to not sign and play his last year of his rookie contract. That’s if he wanted to bet on himself. I am sure he will be more than happy to sign. But if he wanted to.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, don't look for him to be in any hurry UNLESS they throw the bank at him and honestly, that would not surprise me, at all. Andy Reid ( make no mistake, he's calling the shots on this) has a history of making sure his guys get paid.

kskboys

Reaction score
As soon as the franchise tag deal ended, the escalated contract deals would command a new one that would be a trend setter for years to come. That's exactly why Stephen and the Cowboys want to settle this contract deal so quickly before March 10 comes and the franchise tag takes effect.
Oh, in that regard, gotcha.

I wouldn't mind letting Dak play on the tag for a year to see how he does under McC. I have a feeling he's going to blow it up.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dak will either get signed or he won’t. If not he will get a tag of some sort. Dak can sit out if he wants but it’s not likely that he will do so for any length of time.

I am guessing that one of: Dak, Amari, Byron get signed before the deadline for applying the tag unless the team is comfortable with letting one of them go because we only have two FTs to use.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Oh, in that regard, gotcha.

I wouldn't mind letting Dak play on the tag for a year to see how he does under McC. I have a feeling he's going to blow it up.

The Cowboys have messed around trying to get a "team-friendly deal" and have "painted themselves into a corner," so to speak! :rolleyes:

Sorry to say, it's just another sterling example of poor management on their part. Actually, I feel sorry for MM in having to deal with it.

The only way that the Stephen and the Cowboys organization can escape the bind they're in would be to allow Dak a super contract.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. I think the money is close enough but Dak wants a 3 year deal. So I see a 4 year (opt out at 3) 140 million. Arguing now over the guaranteed. Maybe 120 guaranteed and 60 up front. Will make him the biggest paid for a minute until mahomes is paid.

Offer him a 4 year deal (shorter years he wants) cut his salary down slightly and guarantee all 4 years and move on along.

They could have done a 2 or 3 year extension last year and been in better shape than they are now on both ends of this deal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak will either get signed or he won’t. If not he will get a tag of some sort. Dak can sit out if he wants but it’s not likely that he will do so for any length of time.

I am guessing that one of: Dak, Amari, Byron get signed before the deadline for applying the tag unless the team is comfortable with letting one of them go because we only have two FTs to use.

This is very true. I'm sure they want to keep Byron but if they allow the franchise tag to take effect, they'd likely have to let him go.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys have messed around trying to get a "team-friendly deal" and have "painted themselves into a corner," so to speak! :rolleyes:

Sorry to say, it's just another sterling example of poor management on their part. Actually, I feel sorry for MM in having to deal with it.

The only way that the Stephen and the Cowboys organization can escape the bind they're in would be to allow Dak a super contract.
I don't see it that way. Cowboys have made a fair offer, Dak wants more.

I think standing firm on this is one of the very few examples of good mgmt.

kskboys

Reaction score
Offer him a 4 year deal (shorter years he wants) cut his salary down slightly and guarantee all 4 years and move on along.

They could have done a 2 or 3 year extension last year and been in better shape than they are now on both ends of this deal.
They tried. Dak wouldn't deal.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

Well their bottom line is the players bottom line too. I don't like the cap but only cuz the cowboys can afford all the top players but what if you were the browns, or some other poor team? They did it for parity so that all teams are on equal ground. Worked real well I guess.

As far as Stephen Jones not deserving taking over... Says who? Us? Lol because we think not?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see it that way. Cowboys have made a fair offer, Dak wants more.

I think standing firm on this is one of the very few examples of good mgmt.

What we consider as fair, Dak and his backing doesn't look at it that way at all. The organization that Todd France works for is adamant upon getting outstanding deals for their clients. He's not only obligated to Dak but just as obliged to get the most for his agency. It's a hot mess and getting hotter.

kskboys

Reaction score
What we consider as fair, Dak and his backing doesn't look at it that way at all. The organization that Tod France works for is adamant upon getting outstanding deals for their clients. He's not only obligated to Dak but just as obliged to get the most for his agency. It's a hot mess and getting hotter.
Of course. IMO, both sides are at fault. I simply don't see how mgmt is solely at fault.

snapper

Reaction score
So is dak’s management looking at the zeke and tank deals and how they handle it and planning to do the same. Will we see the front office standing their ground this time and pushing back.

zeke you could say was the best rb in the league.
Lawrence you could make a case for top 3 at his position.
But dak? Not close at this point. And to want $40 million. $5 million more per year than any other qb is ridiculous.

So you're saying "bullying" is another word for negotiating? That's what it is: Business.