Players Cowboys show interest in 2022 draft

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't even think Burks is anywhere ready to step-in and be a #2 in the league, which is why I want nothing to do with him at 24.

I should add, I think Burks not actually makes sense if you have a team with clear starters 1-3. He can be added to the group as a weapon rather than relied upon as a starter.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Oh, I see.

Cowboys are moving back to a two TE set?

If so, this makes me even more hopeful for my boy Fehoko.

I know many never liked it under JG. But we're talking about JG who ran it.

How that guy ever got into Princeton, outside of who his father was, is beyond me.

I've always like that offense, and now the more I look at how the Cowboys are approaching things (I can't keep up all day like you guys), I see they're likely moving back to the 2TE set.

Cool!

Really like Corrall.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Can't link it.

-

This will be McCarthy’s third draft with the organization. Over the weekend, he called this a huge draft class for the Cowboys in terms of maintaining their roster integrity.

Dallas has nine picks in next month’s draft after stockpiling four picks in the fifth round.

“Definitely, the lifeline is the draft,” McCarthy said.

These are a few of the players McCarthy will see this week:

Mississippi State (Tuesday): Offensive tackle Charles Cross, cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. and receiver Makai Polk.

Mississippi (Wednesday): Quarterback Matt Corral, defensive end Sam Williams, linebacker Lakia Henry, receiver Jonathan Mingo.

Penn State (Thursday): Receiver Jahan Dotson, safety Jaquan Brisker, edge rushers Arnold Ebiketie and Jesse Luketa, offensive tackle Rasheed Walker, linebacker Brandon Smith.

McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn attended Georgia’s Pro Day last week. The Cowboys head coach called it a great visit.

“I want to see as many prospects as I can,” McCarthy said. “This is the most involved I’ve been with the draft.

“It’s awesome.”

So . . . I feel a whole lot better after reading this post.

Is this true?

We have friggin' four 5th round picks?

I vote we take four quarterbacks in the fifth round.. surely, one of them beats out Dakota.

I'm only on board with Dak this year, because I have to be. But I do know one thing. He's not likely to win any big games.. So, truthfully, I'm truly down to take a good number of those picks and use them on QB. Like, at least two.

We can really stack up, though, on some talent, with those kinds of picks.

I'm going out on a limb now.

Cowboys go quarterback in the first round.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Burks is a far better prospect than Shenault was. And a better prospect than most give him credit for. There will be no blue chip prospects available at 24. And that includes guys like Green and Johnson that folks here are pining for. All 3 guys are worthy selections.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100%

In fact, in terms of comps, I think he'll be closer to Shenault than he is Deebo.
Deebo is the flavor though. I think when they look at these prospects they tend to take a wide eyed view. Deebo and Shenault both went early day 2, but Deebo was a much better pure WR. He probably would have been a top 20 pick if he wasn't old (24?). If he had played in a more pass friendly offense, he may have been a 1,000 WR since his rookie.

With Burks, I dont think you are getting a player that can be fully utilized as a WR. You are getting a player that can probably do certain things. And you can probably use him creatively. But ultimately you aren't getting a guy you will be able to lean in the way you want to with a #24th overall without alot of development.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Deebo is the flavor though. I think when they look at these prospects they tend to take a wide eyed view. Deebo and Shenault both went early day 2, but Deebo was a much better pure WR. He probably would have been a top 20 pick if he wasn't old (24?). If he had played in a more pass friendly offense, he may have been a 1,000 WR since his rookie.

With Burks, I dont think you are getting a player that can be fully utilized as a WR. You are getting a player that can probably do certain things. And you can probably use him creatively. But ultimately you aren't getting a guy you will be able to lean in the way you want to with a #24th overall without alot of development.

100%

That's what I was attempting to say in one of my previous posts, though reading it now, it's pretty incoherent to read, lol.

To me, Burks only makes sense if you're a team with an existing solid WR group. In that way, he can come in and be utilized in spot play as a weapon. But if you're team that needs him to step-up and be the #1 or #2 receiver immediately, I think you'll end up being disappointed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100%

That's what I was attempting to say in one of my previous posts, though reading it now, it's pretty incoherent to read, lol.

To me, Burks only makes sense if you're a team with an existing solid WR group. In that way, he can come in and be utilized in spot play as a weapon. But if you're team that needs him to step-up and be the #1 or #2 receiver immediately, I think you'll end up being disappointed.
That could why Dallas likes him. They probably see Lamb and Gallup as a solid group. Gallup being made of glass notwithstanding, they probably arent wrong. However I think thats way too high a pick to spend on that type of player.

I think you only consider at 24 if you arent sold on Lamb being a #1. And I think its to early to really make that determination given he has about 2K yards in his career so far. If thats the idea, I think they are a year early

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That could why Dallas likes him. They probably see Lamb and Gallup as a solid group. Gallup being made of glass notwithstanding, they probably arent wrong. However I think thats way too high a pick to spend on that type of player.

I think you only consider at 24 if you arent sold on Lamb being a #1. And I think its to early to really make that determination given he has about 2K yards in his career so far. If thats the idea, I think they are a year early

Yeah, I really think the Cowboys are being glib thinking Gallup will only miss the first 2-3 games. That’s to just get on the field. There’s no telling how long it will take until he’s truly comfortable and playing like pre-injury Gallup. If we draft a WR early they are going to see the field a lot, which is why I’m not stoked at the idea of Burks. IMO, there are a lot of other WRs available that project as starters I’d take ahead of him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I really think the Cowboys are being glib thinking Gallup will only miss the first 2-3 games. That’s to just get on the field. There’s no telling how long it will take until he’s truly comfortable and playing like pre-injury Gallup. If we draft a WR early they are going to see the field a lot, which is why I’m not stoked at the idea of Burks. IMO, there are a lot of other WRs available that project as starters I’d take ahead of him.
Honestly I think there are answers still in FA. I saw Sanders in Buffalo alot, and while he isnt near what he was, he can still do what Cobb could with us back in 2019. With our needs at WR, I think that or someone comparable gets it done for 2022

RS12

Reaction score
Yeah, I really think the Cowboys are being glib thinking Gallup will only miss the first 2-3 games.
He missed half a season with a muscle pull. Only two or three games would be a miracle considering January of February surgery.