Twitter: Players did not fear Garrett

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In todays football only players who may have fear are those who lack the talent and have to look over their shoulder knowing they can easily be replaced. Todays NFL player he gets into a beef with a coach he has more ability to get out off the team via FA and in some cases player has more power than the coach, Ted Thompson saw Rodgers and McCarthy having a fall out and it was McCarthy sent packing. You think Rodger feared McCarthy? lol In too many cases teams have more invested in the player than the coach and players know it.

Mark Murphy, not Ted Thompson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Mark Murphy, not Ted Thompson.

My mistake. I just do not buy into fear with todays athletes, they have options out there and they know it. What I would like to see is Jerry giving full backing to McCarthy when it comes to player especially these player who manage to get themselves suspended every single year. If a players action off the field is putting this team in a bad situation then allow McCarthy to make the call of getting that player out of here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let me put it to you like this without getting too much into it. Those star players like Troy and Irvin might of ended up like Jaylon or Dlaw had they endured the freckled puppets coaching techniques or lack thereof.
A good example is I knew I could push my mother to the limit when I was a kid and I did, I would have her so in a tissy she would chase me around the house with a fireplace poker. She didn't deserve it
but I didn't know when to quit because she allowed it, however I wouldn't even look cross-ways at my father or he would whip my *** with a fishing pole.

garret= my mother (so I acted out)
jimmy johnson= my dad (so I was an angel around him)
we are talking millionaire PRO sports players and coaches not parenting which are completely different.. in your scenario these players parents should thev already instilled that in them as well as the Jr high coach, HS coaches, and college coaches.. once they get here coaches lose most of their power with top tier players.. theres a CBa, players union,the contracts are binding long term and big dollars and those players are playing unless Father Goodall steps in..but Mothers are Jerry and Garett because thats how the billions are generated..

sure the rookies and some fringe players might have some fear but blue chippers, nah..

I get your point but lastly I didnt see any true quit in this team, maybe mental breakdowns and poor execution but they played hard every game until the final snap..so Garett didnt lose the team and thats respect enough.. he may have started to lose some respect where he was being tuned out who knows but now from what I saw..

sunalsorises

Reaction score
My mistake. I just do not buy into fear with todays athletes, they have options out there and they know it. What I would like to see is Jerry giving full backing to McCarthy when it comes to player especially these player who manage to get themselves suspended every single year. If a players action off the field is putting this team in a bad situation then allow McCarthy to make the call of getting that player out of here.

Football is different because the contracts aren't guaranteed. Look at how much money Antonio Brown cost himself by being a jerk. I honestly wonder if Jerry would have shipped him out at all. Clearly it was the right decision and one that the coach needs to be able to make.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think Jerry has a crush on McCarthy. While it's embarrassing on one level, it's a good thing on many others. That crush means that he respects him and what's he accomplished, and that tells me that he'll listen to McCarthy and not question him or undermine him, intentionally or unintentionally. And when the owner is completely behind the coach, that's good for the organization.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Football is different because the contracts aren't guaranteed. Look at how much money Antonio Brown cost himself by being a jerk. I honestly wonder if Jerry would have shipped him out at all. Clearly it was the right decision and one that the coach needs to be able to make.

But it does not stop players for pulling this crap. Pitt RB Le'Veon Bell he wanted out, ended up with the Jets and is 3rd highest paid RB in the league. In Dallas Garrett had issues with TO and Dez, both shipped out. I don't think there is much of a fear factor as there once was in the days of Landry, Lombardi where teams would have a lot of control over players. Todays players unless you are a low end talent really have no fear and know they can get another opportunity elsewhere and still make the money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Jerry has a crush on McCarthy. While it's embarrassing on one level, it's a good thing on many others. That crush means that he respects him and what's he accomplished, and that tells me that he'll listen to McCarthy and not question him or undermine him, intentionally or unintentionally. And when the owner is completely behind the coach, that's good for the organization.

I hope Jerry has the respect for McCarthy and willing to back him. If Jerry has an issue with a situation then talk to McCarthy behind closed doors that way anything said to the press is a united message not a mix message where McCarthy is saying 1 thing and Jerry is saying another. I don't expect Jerry to not be involved that is not going to happen but what can happen is making sure there is one message coming from the coach and the organization.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fear is overrated and usually has a short lifespan before it blows up.

Besides, hard to fear any coach when the owner is your buddy.

True but respect can make a difference. I don't think players fear coaches but I do think a team has to let players know what is acceptable and what is not. If you can't go out there dedicated to winning then your out of here, it is not about punishing the player it is about getting players here who want to win and willing to do what they have to do to win. One thing for sure these yearly suspension need to come to an end, it creates a disruption and problems for this team and yet every year we can expect to see some players missing the 1st 2 to 4 weeks because of stupid crap

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The players work for Jerruh and Jerruh loves them and wants to be their best bud. They know it. We know it. It kills us all day long and no head coach is gonna matter. God I wish I could just pull the plug and leave this **** show for good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The players work for Jerruh and Jerruh loves them and wants to be their best bud. They know it. We know it. It kills us all day long and no head coach is gonna matter. God I wish I could just pull the plug and leave this **** show for good.

Jerry had an open door to the 90's team and formed tight relationship with those players, yet Dallas won. I don't have any issue with Jerry as far as that goes, only thing I want to see is showing the respect to McCarthy and making sure they are all on the same page, no mix messages.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Duh. Jeff Heath is awful and yet he is a multi year starter cause Garrett liked him

SSGMIKE

Reaction score
Players haven't fear the coach since Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Jerry created this mess, nothing going to change until he hire a coach that going to come in a clean house from the top to bottom...

garyo1954

Reaction score
Coast Guard stationed in the Gulf after 'Nam know it well.

Not gonna date myself but I have a couple of Asian nurses I'd date and am known to kid with from time to time.

One asked me, "Were you in Vietnam?"
And I replied, "Why? Do I look beaucoup dien-cai-dau (boo-coo dinky dau)?
Swear she almost fainted laughing.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Not gonna date myself but I have a couple of Asian nurses I'd date and am known to kid with from time to time.

One asked me, "Were you in Vietnam?"
And I replied, "Why? Do I look beaucoup dien-cai-dau (boo-coo dinky dau)?
Swear she almost fainted laughing.
I bet! And as far as you dating yourself...
Soul of a 27 year old. Give, or take.