Players let the agents have free reign

BHendri5

Reaction score
Why not?

good question, the uniforms I don’t like, that’s one thing I can say , something just not appealing to me besides that. I tried watching 3 different games over the weekend after about 5 minutes in all three if that long I turned to something else. It could be that I am so conditioned to football not being played at this time of the year that could be it?

BHendri5

Reaction score
You desire an advantage to owners when there is a negotiation.

yes, look at it as if you were the owner, wouldn’t you want to be negotiating with the person you will actually pay?

BHendri5

Reaction score
Which is dumb for players, because they have other interests besides every last penny.

I'm not for players sacrificing their interests to the team, but they should realize that their interests don't perfectly align with their agents either.

True, I agree

BHendri5

Reaction score
Agents just do their jobs.
I don't understand the vilification by some.

Dak is handling this through his representation and that's how it should be.
It's up to the FO on which direction to go.

it should be up to the player and the FO on which direction to go. The agents work for the players, when there’s a problem the players should step in and find out what the issue is and then direct the agents on what to do

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You don't get a lawyer to carry the ball, and you don't get a football player to draft a contract. They are professionals in their fields for a reason.

buybuydandavis brings up an interesting point about how agents don't always align 100% with their players, but the track record of players signing their own contracts is pretty dismal. Russell Okung I remember tried this with the Chargers (Broncos? I forget), and ended up signing a 4 year deal that had 3 voidable years on it. IIRC, he got hurt in his first season, and you can guess what happened after that.

Richard Sherman signed a $30M contract with $3M guaranteed. He was coming off an Achilles injury, but still, that guaranteed offer is insultingly low - SF probably wouldn't have even tried to offer that contract if Sherman had an agent attached. Sherman won that bet and is about to collect every penny of that contract with the 49ers (which almost never happens) without splitting anything with an agent. He was on social media gloating about it, and I guess he's in his right to after it worked for him, but it was more of a bad contract that he just lucked out on.

Long story short, you hire an agent and you give him his 3%, because odds are he'll end up earning you more than that.

On a side note, I remember reading this piece written by Richard Sherman talking about his contract negotiations with Seattle (although I get the feeling that TPT ghostwrites/edits their players' articles... every NFL player on there seems to write with the same voice). Sherman gets that "thug" reputation in the media, as he once notably described it, but he's actually a pretty smart guy.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/richard-sherman-49ers-seahawks-free-agency

Found this article too while I was searching for TPT post above, this one is good as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/01/why-nfl-star-richard-sherman-drove-a-dodge-challenger.html

Last edited:

BHendri5

Reaction score
You don't get a lawyer to carry the ball, and you don't get a football player to draft a contract. They are professionals in their fields for a reason.

buybuydandavis brings up an interesting point about how agents don't always align 100% with their players, but the track record of players signing their own contracts is pretty dismal. Russell Okung I remember tried this with the Chargers (Broncos? I forget), and ended up signing a 4 year deal that had 3 voidable years on it. IIRC, he got hurt in his first season, and you can guess what happened after that.

Richard Sherman signed a $30M contract with $3M guaranteed. He was coming off an Achilles injury, but still, that guaranteed offer is insultingly low - SF probably wouldn't have even tried to offer that contract if Sherman had an agent attached. Sherman won that bet and is about to collect every penny of that contract with the 49ers (which almost never happens) without splitting anything with an agent. He was on social media gloating about it, and I guess he's in his right to after it worked for him, but it was more of a bad contract that he just lucked out on.

Long story short, you hire an agent and you give him his 3%, because odds are he'll end up earning you more than that.

you are missing my point, I don’t know about others. But my point is yes you hire an agent, you let him/her do their job, but you as a player be in the know so when the negotiations hit a snag you can clear it up and keep things moving or say we will hear other offers from elsewhere. Because as I stated Ajman Green said that he did not find out what really happened with his negotiations to stay in GB until after he signed with Houston. He stated that for the 3 million they were apart he would have gladly let that go because he wanted to stay in GB they were building something, he was valued and he loved the area in fact he lives there now he did not want to move his family

phildadon86

Reaction score
And who was the OC last year and who is the OC this year? You keep showing how clueless u r
I’m clueless? The offensive coordinator was forced to modernize Garrett’s offense. The difference between McCarthy and Garrett’s offense is not even worth explaining if you think Kellen Moore was the problem last year. Garrett never tried to scheme anyone. It was always neat the guy in front of you and execute. No wrinkles, no creativity. It’s also apparent that Garrett tried to sabotage Kellen Moore because that offensive game plan come the New Orleans game was night and day what we had seen the first 3 weeks. Garrett couldn’t handle that this young kid came in and made his offense look like that after one offseason. Why would Jason Garrett do this? I was asked that repeatedly when I brought this up. And Garrett proved me right when he tried to use Kellen Moore as an excuse to Jerry and Stephen as to why the team failed. So please. Why not wait until Dak is under a coach who is going to tailor make the offense to fit his style to talk. Jason tailored Dak to fit the offense. There is a big difference

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I’m clueless? The offensive coordinator was forced to modernize Garrett’s offense. The difference between McCarthy and Garrett’s offense is not even worth explaining if you think Kellen Moore was the problem last year. Garrett never tried to scheme anyone. It was always neat the guy in front of you and execute. No wrinkles, no creativity. It’s also apparent that Garrett tried to sabotage Kellen Moore because that offensive game plan come the New Orleans game was night and day what we had seen the first 3 weeks. Garrett couldn’t handle that this young kid came in and made his offense look like that after one offseason. Why would Jason Garrett do this? I was asked that repeatedly when I brought this up. And Garrett proved me right when he tried to use Kellen Moore as an excuse to Jerry and Stephen as to why the team failed. So please. Why not wait until Dak is under a coach who is going to tailor make the offense to fit his style to talk. Jason tailored Dak to fit the offense. There is a big difference
I don’t think kellen Moore was the problem. I know Dak was the problem. He’s not accurate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
buybuydandavis brings up an interesting point about how agents don't always align 100% with their players, but the track record of players signing their own contracts is pretty dismal.

I wouldn't advise players to do the negotiation by themselves. They should have an agent for negotiations.

And a lawyer. And a financial player.

And probably a psychologist. A check on the agent's deals, and someone to help him formulate his values on the deals. What are possible trade-offs, and how does *he* weight those trade offs.

He needs to get eyeballs that aren't beholden to his agent on the deals.

glimmerman

Reaction score
At this point it’s about meeting in the middle we have low balled and they have high balled. What I don’t like is agents telling these players to hold out 2 years early and hold off in surgeries to hold a team hostage for there money.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should be judged for on the field performance in big games like at Philly and against the Seahawks. Games that count with the season on the line.
He beat Seattle in the playoffs and lost to Philly at then end of the year with a sprained AC joint in a game that he would not have played in if we had a decent backup......his other 65 games shouldn't matter......ok, sounds good

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point it’s about meeting in the middle we have low balled and they have high balled. What I don’t like is agents telling these players to hold out 2 years early and hold off in surgeries to hold a team hostage for there money.
This isn't about now, this is about how this contract will look in 3 years with a new bargaining agreement. He doesn't want to get Dak 35 million per when others are getting 40 to 45 in a couple of years. That's why Dak wants a short contract and the Cowboys want a loooong contract to spread the money out. Ah, who cares!!! Wake me up when for the draft!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Good players that have any business sense don't need agents......just pocket the money you donate to agents.

Yeah and defendants do not need lawyers right? lol A player would be a complete moron not hiring an agent and listening to them. These NFL owners are not pro bowl players but they are pro bowl business men that is why they own these teams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agents don’t lie to clients or they wouldn’t have any clients. Dak and his agent have discussed the value and years they are looking for and it’s the agents job to get a close as possible .

Agents make 3% and they don’t get paid until a contract is signed so agents are as interested in getting a contract done as the player.

Yep. I don't doubt Dak agent is asking for more than he knows he can get but you don't start negotiation starting low. Jerry is not going to throw out a kings ransom and would not doubt he has started lower than he is willing to go. In the end the devil is in the details and while we hear about avg being offered none of us know the details of any offers that have been made.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
yes, look at it as if you were the owner, wouldn’t you want to be negotiating with the person you will actually pay?
it should be up to the player and the FO on which direction to go. The agents work for the players, when there’s a problem the players should step in and find out what the issue is and then direct the agents on what to do
I would not presume to argue with you my friend.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am sure this true in all industries where agents negotiate for their clients. That's why they get something like 10% of the deal.

But I also think Jerry Jones creates his own problems in these deals. Agents believe Jerry will overpay his players because he has done it consistently in the past. If I was Dak's agent and I saw Jerry pay Demarcus Lawrence over $100 million or $21 million a year, I would be running into his office with an absurd contract proposal for my client. Heck, if Lawrence and his 5.5 sacks is worth $21 million then surely my 2nd in the league in passing yards QB is worth $40 million, right? Who on the Cowboys offense or defense had better numbers than Dak? If Jerry made Lawrence the highest paid DE in teh league then why wouldn't he make Dak the highest paid QB?

I would also look at the Cowboys roster and see Jerry has no backup plan. If there was ever an owner I could put over a barrel in a negotiation for my QB client its Jerry Jones. Dak's agent knows Jerry has a tight window, a new coach, a desire to win something and lots of money in his bank account. Jerry is so ripe to be taken advantage of. If Jerry holds the line with Dak, it will be the first time. Dak's agent has probably already put his order in for his own new yacht.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Title to this thread should be "players hire person to do a job and let's this person do their job" :omg:

cern

Reaction score
agents slot players just as is done in the draft. they easily sum up what the highest paid at a particular position are paid and start from there. it's very simple, really. how the money is allocated is usually the stumbling block. the players tell the agents they want as much up front and guaranteed as possible in case of debilitating injury. there is also the topic of leverage. in the short term, dak has leverage due to there being a new hc and the team wanting him to get on the same page asap. in the long term, the cowboys hold the leverage as this year there will be more decent free agent qb's than teams actually needing their services. deadlines make deals.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
He should also be judged for the on the field performance in big games during the entire duration of his rookie contract and not just cherry-pick games in 2019. Also, consider his career passer rating which is only exceeded by Rodgers, Wilson and Brees. What do those players get paid? There is your answer to how much Dak deserves to get paid.

Hey Dak's auntie. How's Dak today?