Video: Player's Lounge: A Team In Disarray?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
KC has nothing to do with it.

Your point is that "truly competitive" is defined by being in the CCG. By your own opinion, not getting there means you weren't "truly competitive." If Baltimore wasn't "truly competitive" last year, then fine, but it means your point is junk.
KC has as much to do with it as Baltimore.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the recent criticism of Jerry is WAY overblown. There was a time when Jerry was “Al Davis Light” but that hasn’t been the case for some time. It’s been AT LEAST since the Johnny Manziel draft when we took Martin over Manziel. It probably started turning before that.

The Cowboys have drafted very well overall since Will McClay took over. The organization wanted TJ Watt, and instead of trusting the organization he went with the “football guy” (Marinelli) and drafted Taco instead of trusting the process. If anything gm Jerry, in at least that case, trusted the football guy too much.

In fact you can blame most of the defensive woes of this team at Marinelli’s feet. News flash—football guys are not always right either. See: Bobby Carpenter.

The Cowboys salary cap is not an emotional thing. It is a set of rules that the team must operate within. I would also argue that Jerry was a bit too lax with passing out contracts to Tank, Jaylon, etc. (Although we are starting to get some ROI on Tank finally).
Then why do we have a roster full of potheads, injured players, and underachievers?

kskboys

Reaction score
A team would be remiss in not evaluating all options. And I believe they have, are and will.

I doubt that the Cowboys would Telegraph what they were going to do.

I think the Cowboys have often shrewdly taken advantage of the perception that Crazy Jerry (Al Davis Light) has no plan and will do something crazy. I think Jerry has had some of those moments for sure (Joey Galloway Trade) and (Roy Williams trade) but that was so long ago it’s not relevant at this point.
They've telegraphed almost everything in the past.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure. But that's not the barometer of "truly competitive"

Was Baltimore "truly competitive" last year?
Why do you guys insist on one year examples? BALT has been competitive for many, many years. More good than bad years.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is emotional. If you look at wins and losses the Cowboys are above league average in wins, just no titles. We have very few losing seasons over the past 10 years and in each case we had no QB, due to injury etc.
And we've also had very few winning seasons!!!! Funny how that works, hey?

We also had no S's or 1 techs and most of the time no D.

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s true. I think all of us are frustrated with that fact. I would say the first 1/3 to 1/2 of that time can be partially put to cap hell, wild catting and Jerry’s meddling to a large degree. I think the last 2/3 or 1/2 is partially due to bad coaching, bad luck, injuries, poor officiating and anti Cowboys bias.
Bad coaching and injuries are squarely on the GM's head. Jerry hires the coaches, and Jerry has been taking injury prone players high in the draft way too often.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
No they don't. You don't get to add exceptions or qualifiers, because you aren't applying them to Dallas.
And you do! LOL!
You want a truly competitive team last year, then it’s KC.
That’s the standard I want for the Cowboys!

Bigdog

Reaction score
And when Jerry could spend what he liked on players, he won too.
Since then....
Exactly unfortunately he can't and that is why a competent GM needs to be here but we know that is not going to happen.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
And you do! LOL!
You want a truly competitive team last year, then it’s KC.
That’s the standard I want for the Cowboys!
So only one team is truly competitive each year? That's even dumber.

Yes, everyone wants the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl, but that's not the point.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
So only one team is truly competitive each year? That's even dumber.

Yes, everyone wants the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl, but that's not the point.
Yep, that’s about your level of argument. Name calling.
Good bye!

Verdict

Reaction score
Bad coaching and injuries are squarely on the GM's head. Jerry hires the coaches, and Jerry has been taking injury prone players high in the draft way too often.
I agree. But what about the year that Garrett was coach or the year (or a finalist) ? We can't pretend that didn't happen. Was Jerry to look into acrystal ball and say, Garrett will wear his welcome out, so we should fire the coach of the year?

I'm just saying hindsight is 2020. But your points are also valid.

Verdict

Reaction score
And we've also had very few winning seasons!!!! Funny how that works, hey?

We also had no S's or 1 techs and most of the time no D.
That's true as well. I live in reality . LOL. this isn't an emotional evaluation for me-- most of the time anyway. HA HA.

So yeah, I'll acknowledge there is that side of the coin as well.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Most of us are much too familiar with what has been said in this video. The Dallas Cowboys organization is largely based upon the inclinations of their FO leadership. It's a leadership that has historically displayed poor football judgment and is still doing so to this day. That needs to change. The problem is, this isn't likely to change due to the egos of Jerry and Stephen. Until they hire a capable GM, the Cowboys organization will struggle indefinitely.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm hardly a Jerry apologist. But my biggest problem with him as a GM the last many years is his nepotistic pet project of a head coach that he refused to give up on. The talent on the field was there for a decade. This isn't the late 90s and early 2000s when talent acquisition (and the HC) was a complete disaster.

As far as this year, they aren't bad because Jerry has acquired bad talent. They're bad because their QB is out and they're down to scrubs on the OL.