Video: Player's Lounge: A Team In Disarray?

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the recent criticism of Jerry is WAY overblown. There was a time when Jerry was “Al Davis Light” but that hasn’t been the case for some time. It’s been AT LEAST since the Johnny Manziel draft when we took Martin over Manziel. It probably started turning before that.

The Cowboys have drafted very well overall since Will McClay took over. The organization wanted TJ Watt, and instead of trusting the organization he went with the “football guy” (Marinelli) and drafted Taco instead of trusting the process. If anything gm Jerry, in at least that case, trusted the football guy too much.

In fact you can blame most of the defensive woes of this team at Marinelli’s feet. News flash—football guys are not always right either. See: Bobby Carpenter.

The Cowboys salary cap is not an emotional thing. It is a set of rules that the team must operate within. I would also argue that Jerry was a bit too lax with passing out contracts to Tank, Jaylon, etc. (Although we are starting to get some ROI on Tank finally).

How is it way overblown? In any other town, if a GM went 20 years with zero championship game appearances, that guy would have been fired a long time ago or the fans would have revolted that he kept his job that long.

Jerry is the President, the GM, the God of Cowboys football. Every mistake, every failed season, every bad decision, it's all on him. He demanded the power and now you can't make excuses for him when the continually fail to meet any real expectations. When you look at the last two decades, the Cowboys rank amongst the worst teams in the NFL in terms of playoff wins, etc.

Unfortunately, as long as Jerry (and Stephen) operate like they are quality GMs, this franchise will just continue the up and down but largely unsuccessful pattern we have seen for 20+ years.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
SBs are often mentioned around here.

How about the idea that we havent been two steps away in 25 years?

They have been competitive in a Divisional game ONCE, debatably twice, in that time frame.

You're right!

Only three teams in the NFC have not appeared in the Championship game in the last 25 years and we're one of them.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I obviously don't know the man personally, but it would appear that he is going to die trying to prove to the world that his football knowledge and management is enough to win a Super Bowl (without Jimmy)

Verdict

Reaction score
I honestly do not think they pay attention to the team site.
It is a very poor website for a team that is the most valuable in the world.

How could someone not realize this in the organization. So therefore, they must not pay attention to it.
If they can't see the value in possibly drafting a QB in the top 3 picks, then they can't know what is being put on the team website. :laugh:
A team would be remiss in not evaluating all options. And I believe they have, are and will.

I doubt that the Cowboys would Telegraph what they were going to do.

I think the Cowboys have often shrewdly taken advantage of the perception that Crazy Jerry (Al Davis Light) has no plan and will do something crazy. I think Jerry has had some of those moments for sure (Joey Galloway Trade) and (Roy Williams trade) but that was so long ago it’s not relevant at this point.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well if I remember correctly last year (or maybe two years ago) Troy Aikman said something similar.

Important enough for you?
No lol. I guess I shouldn't say important, but relevant. Someone who hasn't been in the locker room for more than a hot minute in the last 20 years really has no insight.

If Tony Romo, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith, D Ware...someone like that came out and said this, it would have some credibility. Jesse Holley and Everson Walls' opinions on this just don't really matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is more of an emotional response to no titles since 1995 than fact.

How is it an emotional response? At the end of the day, a franchise is judged by it's titles and overall successes. Since 1995, this franchise has been one of the WORST in the NFL when it comes to the postseason and postseason success. They have FOUR PLAYOFF WINS since 1995. Yes, let that sink in. 4 playoff wins in 24 seasons. That's one of the worst performances of any NFL team.

That's not emotional. That's reality. And the one constant throughout that all? The Jones family running every aspect of the football operations. It's downright funny that people think Jerry and Stephen have run this team well over that period.

Verdict

Reaction score
You're right!

Only three teams in the NFC have not appeared in the Championship game in the last 25 years and we're one of them.

That’s true. I think all of us are frustrated with that fact. I would say the first 1/3 to 1/2 of that time can be partially put to cap hell, wild catting and Jerry’s meddling to a large degree. I think the last 2/3 or 1/2 is partially due to bad coaching, bad luck, injuries, poor officiating and anti Cowboys bias.

Verdict

Reaction score
How is it an emotional response? At the end of the day, a franchise is judged by it's titles and overall successes. Since 1995, this franchise has been one of the WORST in the NFL when it comes to the postseason and postseason success. They have FOUR PLAYOFF WINS since 1995. Yes, let that sink in. 4 playoff wins in 24 seasons. That's one of the worst performances of any NFL team.

That's not emotional. That's reality. And the one constant throughout that all? The Jones family running every aspect of the football operations. It's downright funny that people think Jerry and Stephen have run this team well over that period.
It is emotional. If you look at wins and losses the Cowboys are above league average in wins, just no titles. We have very few losing seasons over the past 10 years and in each case we had no QB, due to injury etc.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s true. I think all of us are frustrated with that fact. I would say the first 1/3 to 1/2 of that time can be partially put to cap hell, wild catting and Jerry’s meddling to a large degree. I think the last 2/3 or 1/2 is partially due to bad coaching, bad luck, injuries, poor officiating and anti Cowboys bias.

LOL at blaming officiating.

And who hired the bad coaches? Frankly, I think Jerry's biggest failure as GM has been his hiring of coaches. Talent acquisition, they are decent, especially in the draft (they are blah at FA). But the one true failing? Jerry and his coaching hires.

And part of that gets back to the flaw in the Jones' family. Their desire to control all aspects of the football operations injected suspect criteria into coaching searches - largely finding coaches that would tolerate their meddling. Maybe that's changed with McCarthy. We'll find out soon enough.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
No lol. I guess I shouldn't say important, but relevant. Someone who hasn't been in the locker room for more than a hot minute in the last 20 years really has no insight.

If Tony Romo, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith, D Ware...someone like that came out and said this, it would have some credibility. Jesse Holley and Everson Walls' opinions on this just don't really matter.

Irrespective of who says what, the facts speak for themselves.

In attempting to build a truly competitive team in the era of the Salary Cap and Free Agency, the Jones boys have shown themselves not up to the task.

Great business men, lousy football men.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is emotional. If you look at wins and losses the Cowboys are above league average in wins, just no titles. We have very few losing seasons over the past 10 years and in each case we had no QB, due to injury etc.

The have FOUR playoff wins in 24 years. That's a fact. What good are non-losing seasons if you continually screw up in the playoffs?

As IrishAnto said, our playoff record since 1996 is one of the worst in the NFL. How in the world can one write that off and not hold that against the Jones? It's bizarre.

EDIT: We have had four 8-8 seasons in the last decade, so it's a bit disingenuous to say we have had very few "losing" seasons over the last decade. We have also had very few "winning" seasons over the last decade too. Other than 2014 and 2016, there hasn't been much to crow about over the last decade.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Irrespective of who says what, the facts speak for themselves.

In attempting to build a truly competitive team in the era of the Salary Cap and Free Agency, the Jones boys have shown themselves not up to the task.

Great business men, lousy football me
n.
These are opinions, not facts, especially because "truly competitive" is a moving target. They've been "truly competitive" several times in the last decade or so.

IrishAnto

Reaction score

When a franchise has won 5 SB's in the first 34 years of existence, not even managing the get to the NFC Championship once in 25 years is just bad management, period!
Cowboys bias be dammed!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this news is not knew we have know for over 25 years now what is wrong with the cowboys when jimmy johnson walked out the door the cowboys as a super bowl competing team were done

IrishAnto

Reaction score
These are opinions, not facts, especially because "truly competitive" is a moving target. They've been "truly competitive" several times in the last decade or so.
One of only three teams in the NFC not to appear in the NFC Championship in 25 years is a fact!

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The have FOUR playoff wins in 24 years. That's a fact. What good are non-losing seasons if you continually screw up in the playoffs?

As IrishAnto said, our playoff record since 1996 is one of the worst in the NFL. How in the world can one write that off and not hold that against the Jones? It's bizarre.

EDIT: We have had four 8-8 seasons in the last decade, so it's a bit disingenuous to say we have had very few "losing" seasons over the last decade. We have also had very few "winning" seasons over the last decade too.

There are non so blind, as those who will not see!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
One of only three teams in the NFC not to appear in the NFC Championship in 25 years is a fact!
Sure. But that's not the barometer of "truly competitive"

Was Baltimore "truly competitive" last year?

Sydla

Reaction score

Four playoff wins in 24 seasons. That's it. How can anyone look at that fact and say to themselves, "You know what, the Jones have done a really nice job running this franchise the last two decades!"

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure. But that's not the barometer of "truly competitive"

Was Baltimore "truly competitive" last year?

For that year, no. Over the last two decades? Absolutely. They have more playoff wins in the last decade than we have had in the last 24 years.

There is no comparison in terms of which franchise has been better run the last two decades. It's not even close.