CFZ Players' perception: Outcoached or outplayed?

ESisback

Reaction score
Like you Coach, I was also in absolute disbelief at McCarthy admitting at playoff loss post-game presser last year that he had zero input to the offense and that was by his own choice as to no involvement during the game.

Now fast forward 9 months and along with the publicized mantra of he's going to fix the penalties as first priority, there is the reports that he will be more involved in the offense.

Fast forward even further to a few days ago and it's reported that McCarthy doesn't even know the playbook terminology of the offense.

I mean, really?

You can't make this s**t up!

How/why could/would a HC not know his team’s playbook terminology? That’s either evil or monumentally stupid. I can’t think of a third choice.

Anyone help me out?

visionary

Reaction score
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

Once the open questions about coaching start, they seem to hide behind that.

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

Was the wrong play called or was it poorly executed?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

Just make sure you weigh calling vs execution when you make your call.

its always both with very very very few exceptions

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

Everything is wrong right now

Dalmations202

Reaction score
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
"no plan survives first contact with the enemy".

No discipline.
No accountability.
No responsibility.
Victims who like this generation of kids have a feeling of entitlement. (in general, not everyone of course)

If you want to win, be the one punching not the one getting punched.

Go to the top and find out why the owner doesn't hold the GM accountable.
Why the GM doesn't hold the HC accountable.
Why the HC doesn't hold the Coordinators accountable.
Why the Coordinators don't hold the position Coaches accountable.
Why the Coaches don't hold the players accountable.

Just BOHICA and smile.

So yes, outcoached, and outplayed.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
after hours of playing patty cake, and patty cake, and doing a spin after the last hand slap, they're no way they have time to learn the plays. all on the coaches.

Praxit

Reaction score
...dont know exactly, CC. But Im going with outplayed. The offense is led by Dak. In other words, Daks' subconscious sets the tone.

People are really smart this way, same goes with players. You mentioned, "deer in the headlights look from Dak". Yep, they keyed off of that.

The defense needs someone of Ray Lewis mentality. Football is like that. Its pure adrenaline and emotion spilled into one.

The defense was moving like frosty cone. There was no attitude.

Ray Lewis could motivate a Bum to rob the bank.

75boyz

Reaction score
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."
"no plan survives first contact with the enemy".

No discipline.
No accountability.
No responsibility.
Victims who like this generation of kids have a feeling of entitlement. (in general, not everyone of course)

If you want to win, be the one punching not the one getting punched.

Go to the top and find out why the owner doesn't hold the GM accountable.
Why the GM doesn't hold the HC accountable.
Why the HC doesn't hold the Coordinators accountable.
Why the Coordinators don't hold the position Coaches accountable.
Why the Coaches don't hold the players accountable.

Just BOHICA and smile.

So yes, outcoached, and outplayed.

Nice post.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Like you Coach, I was also in absolute disbelief at McCarthy admitting at playoff loss post-game presser last year that he had zero input to the offense and that was by his own choice as to no involvement during the game.

Now fast forward 9 months and along with the publicized mantra of he's going to fix the penalties as first priority, there is the reports that he will be more involved in the offense.

Fast forward even further to a few days ago and it's reported that McCarthy doesn't even know the playbook terminology of the offense.

I mean, really?

You can't make this s**t up!

Like everything else related to this team there is conflicting data and you don't really know what to think. If MM was told that KM was off limits as was widely rumored, then I actually don't blame him at all. I would do nothing with the offense and if\when I get fired I have complete deniability at least as it relates to offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

it has to be the coaching, compare the O execution to the D.
The coaches are the ones that teach and prepare the players for the games.

As for the OC, if his plays are crap designs and predictable, then it is hard to make them work.

75boyz

Reaction score
Like everything else related to this team there is conflicting data and you don't really know what to think. If MM was told that KM was off limits as was widely rumored, then I actually don't blame him at all. I would do nothing with the offense and if\when I get fired I have complete deniability at least as it relates to offense.

True man, but then that goes back to my reasoning issue of why take the job in the first place. If there's no financial issues like divorce or bankruptcy, and your contract includes inheriting an inexperienced OC who's not to be touched, why take the job?

Even after famously saying he would never give up play calling duties again while at GB.

He either needs to get involved in the offense or go somewhere else. He's doing nothing here.

jmo

CWR

Reaction score

We just heard Jerry go on about how many special talents are on this team. It's pretty obvious where they get their cues.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Execution?????:muttley:Humm.....:muttley: I start with Jerry. Then the coaches. Then players when it comes to blame. Like I always say. It's like Jerry has a 50 million dollar smart home security system. And he lets an IBM 360 run it:facepalm: We've usually had the players but the IBM 360 coaches are definitely suspect.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Always mostly the players.

If you want to argue that at worst it's 30% coaching sometimes....sure, go ahead

ALL the best coaches say you can have the most basic game plan and if its executed well, it can still be successful
It's not like there are not multiple options on each play. There's also the option to audible if the play does not fit the D (assuming we are talking offense)

On the other hand, You can an all-world game plan and if it's not executed, the outcome still sucks.

Ideally, you have a great plan AND great execution with great players. Then you get the ring.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Obviously the answer is a little of both. I have always maintained that much of the Cowboys' success especially on offense was a result of great players doing great things as opposed to great scheme. I do think the offensive line execution has deteriorated since Joe Philbin came onboard. And that is impacting everything we try to do on offense. But the line was mostly okay in run blocking last Sunday.. and really only started to fail in pass blocking once we completely abandoned the run and started allowing the defense to pin their ears back. But if I had to weigh it I would say the issues on the offensive side this Sunday were 70% coaching and 30% execution. No way can I let the coaches off the hook for failing to capitalize on a 5 yards per carry rushing attack.

oh please. They were daring us to run with rushing 4 and a two deep nickel zone.

blocking on all counts was poor. Throw in the penalties and it was a bad day for the line again.

ESisback

Reaction score
oh please. They were daring us to run with rushing 4 and a two deep nickel zone.

blocking on all counts was poor. Throw in the penalties and it was a bad day for the line again.
And Cincy will play everyone up to stop the run, knowing we can’t pass.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Both. We lack good coaching and players. Good coaching would have helped some of these players be a little more successful. Better players have masked what this offensive coaching staff lacks.

Zman5

Reaction score
Can we at least start by hiring a HC who isn't forced to use a coach or a player by the GM/owner? I doubt this will ever happen until Jerry is dead.
Even a HOF coach like Parcells was forced to use TO.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

OUTCOACHED which led to poor play