CFZ Players' perception: Outcoached or outplayed?

stuckindc

Reaction score
I saw more than 1 play that was a incomplete pass in coverage and the other side of field had someone standing there wide open. Why Dak looked so shocked I can’t figure out. He had been around long enough. He didn’t see any coverages he didn’t know. I did see they ran a lot of plays that would allow them to run the ball but we passed anyway. Most of Elliot’s runs he was tackled by the last guy available. He was a few runs away from him slipping a tackle and taking a long one.
And barely any runs for Pollard who could have broke some long ones.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can we at least start by hiring a HC who isn't forced to use a coach or a player by the GM/owner? I doubt this will ever happen until Jerry is dead.
Even a HOF coach like Parcells was forced to use TO.

Zman------ saw video early 2000's of Parcells closing door on Jerry and not letting him in after a game...that is kind of coach we need and certainly cap boy not allowed in either

zerofill

Reaction score
I am pretty sure a lot of these plays would still work, if they could execute them.

Unfortunately, it seems in the first game we only had 1 player that came to play (Parsons). Well 2 players... I can't fault Zeke for the idiotic idea of 10 carries. I can blame that on coaching
and Dak for no audible out on some of those plays.

I have a fear of this team playing like crap, and Parsons giving up... I hope he doesn't. He seems to be a guy that is a lot more than just about the money I hope.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blame or responsibility are both never just on one person or group.

But one thing I believe pretty strongly is in today’s fantasy football centered world, too many fans way overvalue the role individual players’ talent plays in winning championships. For sure, you must have talent to win. But talent alone is NEVER enough.

In fact, I would argue that winning a championship requires a mix of multiple pieces that must be in place:
  • Ownership committed to winning- whatever it takes. In todays NFL, 30 of 32 owners recognize they must select a competent General Manager who can lead the front office in putting together a plan to win championship. The winning owners of the last 26 SBs all started here.
  • Competent Front Office Leadership- starts with the right GM that knows how to build a vision of the kind of team they’re building, selecting the BEST HC to lead the team, and building a talented and balanced roster within the limits of the salary cap.
  • Excellent Scouting to identify what players to draft that suit the kind of team you’re building.
  • Draft talented players that align with what you’re trying to be as team. Their skills should complement the team’s needs.
  • Excellent coaching to develop the talent you have and maximize each player’s ability within the team’s identity.
  • Create a culture of accountability and responsibility- ownership should appoint and empower the right people to lead the organization, delegate full authority to them, then hold them accountable for results.
That’s what winning organizations do. It’s a LOT MORE than just talent.
Notice how many of the above bullets are not in place in Dallas. That’s why we can’t win playoff games.

Redline360

Reaction score
Mixture of a couple of things...

Coaches...Lack of discipline / soft culture. Stems from Jerry and Stephens death grip on every aspect of the organizaition
Players...Entertainment culture / entitlement . They know there's hardly if ever any discipline. No War dogs on offense or Defense. Parsons is about the only one for now but that doesn't do much honestly

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

Once the open questions about coaching start, they seem to hide behind that.

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

Was the wrong play called or was it poorly executed?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

Just make sure you weigh calling vs execution when you make your call.
That was a totally unprepared team on Sunday night. That’s coaching.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

It's one game....fans will be fans.....they don't have a clue

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DISCIPLINE!!!
Is all coaching.
Execution I can give them a couple weeks due to almost zero contact in practices.
But really, Quinn gets it. HC and offensive staff I have my doubts. I see the same issues as last year . No excuses.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Zman------ saw video early 2000's of Parcells closing door on Jerry and not letting him in after a game...that is kind of coach we need and certainly cap boy not allowed in either
Those were some of the things he did with Jimmy that caused cracks in their foundation. Brining celebs and Saudi oil barons into the locker room, while Jimmy was trying to talk to the team. The circus began early on and Jerry still doesn’t get it

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And Cincy will play everyone up to stop the run, knowing we can’t pass.

Possibly. We cant do much of either at the moment. I wouldnt play the Cowboys any different to be honest. If they start to run, then go to the regular defense.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
True man, but then that goes back to my reasoning issue of why take the job in the first place. If there's no financial issues like divorce or bankruptcy, and your contract includes inheriting an inexperienced OC who's not to be touched, why take the job?

Even after famously saying he would never give up play calling duties again while at GB.

He either needs to get involved in the offense or go somewhere else. He's doing nothing here.

jmo
Well, I was thinking it could have been "hey, i wanna keep the kid" while he was interviewing and later was told the kid was off limits. Who knows. All I'm saying is that I can see scenario's where I might feel duped or lame ducked and be like "ok, if that's how you want it".

75boyz

Reaction score
Well, I was thinking it could have been "hey, i wanna keep the kid" while he was interviewing and later was told the kid was off limits. Who knows. All I'm saying is that I can see scenario's where I might feel duped or lame ducked and be like "ok, if that's how you want it".

Okay but again, you may be possibly missing the central point.
What was the primary motivation to take the job in the first place?

If you've been an NFL playcaller for over 2 decades and clearly stated you would not give up that privilege again at your last job.

And you're not broke/bankrupt or going through divorce...

Why sell out all your remaining coaching integrity and self respect? Answer: ln order to keep padding your retirement portfolio.

Just to be another Yes Man but get paid well while making sure you do it Jerry's Way. Go along to get along.

Its pretty easy to see imo that he sold himself out for the money and that is the reason he took the job. He knew what he was getting into and nobody held a gun to his head to take the job.

Be a Yes Man to get paid.

You may see it differently but I think all the evidence strongly supports my opinion here.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Okay but again, you may be possibly missing the central point.
What was the primary motivation to take the job in the first place?

If you've been an NFL playcaller for over 2 decades and clearly stated you would not give up that privilege again at your last job.

And you're not broke/bankrupt or going through divorce...

Why sell out all your remaining coaching integrity and self respect? Answer: ln order to keep padding your retirement portfolio.

Just to be another Yes Man but get paid well while making sure you do it Jerry's Way. Go along to get along.

Its pretty easy to see imo that he sold himself out for the money and that is the reason he took the job. He knew what he was getting into and nobody held a gun to his head to take the job.

Be a Yes Man to get paid.

You may see it differently but I think all the evidence strongly supports my opinion here.

Not disagreeing with you, I just wasn't as focused on why he took the job. He may very well have been willing to sell out for another payday.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you, I just wasn't as focused on why he took the job. He may very well have been willing to sell out for another payday.

Fair enough. Sorry I repeated myself over and over in my posts as if you didn't understand my point. My bad.

Big D

Reaction score

Both. qb1 and wr1 both came out ok but spiraled into subpar. the oline and rb1 along with the defense were having success but coaching failed to recognize and adjust.