CFZ Players' perception: Outcoached or outplayed?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh no one on this team prepares. All you have to do is look at a player like Sean Lee. He always know what was going on. No matter who the coaches were he would study and prepare and knew what to expect and it showed on the field. We have drafted almost no one like him in ages. We prefer to pick a good story or a flashy star. These players are suppose to be star professionals. All they do is count their cash and pass blame.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Sun Tzu wrote, if the soldiers do not obey the orders of the generals it is the fault of the generals. Every time you see a false start penalty repeated you have to blame the coaches. A coach simply cannot allow that to go on without punishment or the team will get the idea that penalties don't matter enough.

The defense did not commit a single penalty Sunday night. The offense committed 8. Seems to me like Quinn did his job. But the OC clearly did not. The offense has been holding and false starting for a few years. Boy Genius is not getting it done.

If Peters is ready, benching Steele this week explicitly because he could not stop his fat butt from twitching before the snap would tell the whole team the coaches really do care about this stuff. Sun Tzu recommended that any soldier who fails to obey orders be executed in front of all the other soldiers to ensure that not following orders will not be tolerated.
Now that's being accountable!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we have bad coaching

1- the execution you mention is a byproduct of good coaching not player talent.
2- you dont go thru 26 years of players and not win without it being the coaching thats at fault. Jerry has killed many good players careers (Romo, Dez, Ware, Zeke, Witten, Tyron, Frederick....etc). To much talent for it not to be coaching
3- The same players that leave our team find success (including getting to SB) playing with other teams.
4- teams play better with better coaches. Jimmys team slowly collapsed when he left. Look at Lombardi and Packers, Shula and Miami, Landry and Cowboys. You think Landry had 20 years of great players or Shula 20+ years of good players? Packers were perennial losers till Lombardi and collapsed immediately when he left. You think it a coincidence KC started winning when Reid got there?

I could go on but our problem is coaching. We've had to many good players and teams for it not to be. Coaching means a lot more than you stated in your thread
Coaching does indeed mean a lot but not on this team, that is my point. There is no respect for coaching from the Joneses and Booger evaluates them on their willingness to stay out of his camera shots.

Last night's game was a textbook example of one coach, Reid, helping his team and another, Staley, failing his team.

I think far too many here blame the coaches for some overrated talent. Many were blaming the coaches for penalties, really? They never enter the field and they benched Williams to try and fix that and it didn't work. Funny too, they blamed McC and the OLC but not Quinn for Gregory. So, it is selective in the blame game.

bigE79

Reaction score
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

Once the open questions about coaching start, they seem to hide behind that.

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

Was the wrong play called or was it poorly executed?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

Just make sure you weigh calling vs execution when you make your call.
Both

JustChip

Reaction score
Zman------ saw video early 2000's of Parcells closing door on Jerry and not letting him in after a game...that is kind of coach we need and certainly cap boy not allowed in either
Yes. And Jerry said the Parcells years were the least enjoyable for him of any since Jimmy he and would never do that again. Fans just need to accept nothing will change absent a severe financial hardship. Those that think Jerry wants badly to win another Super Bowl before he dies are simply projecting they’re own desires onto Jerry. He has 3 Super Bowls and a HoF induction. It doesn’t matter that those Super Bowls are universally accredited to Jimmy because in Jerry’s mind, he’s as much, if not more responsible than Jimmy.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Where do I start...

The team looked so unprepared, like if they didn't even practice the prior week or all of OTA's and TC.

No NFL teams should look so pathetic like the Boys did vs. TB. So Pop Warnerish!

Practice, practice practice, repetition, repetition, repetition until you get the play down! And really don't say "not really how it should go, but ef it, we'll be ok and got other plays" (that were practiced and executed to the same extent and degree)

By the way, that's also the words of a great QB currently playing.

fredp22

Reaction score
Coaching does indeed mean a lot but not on this team, that is my point. There is no respect for coaching from the Joneses and Booger evaluates them on their willingness to stay out of his camera shots.

Last night's game was a textbook example of one coach, Reid, helping his team and another, Staley, failing his team.

I think far too many here blame the coaches for some overrated talent. Many were blaming the coaches for penalties, really? They never enter the field and they benched Williams to try and fix that and it didn't work. Funny too, they blamed McC and the OLC but not Quinn for Gregory. So, it is selective in the blame game.

coaches are to blame for penalties when the team leads the league. The whole OL cant be the fault for the same type of penalty. Find the problem and coach the players. It wont just disappear.
(asking not giving u hard time) but who do you think is overrated and responsible solely for penalties?
Gregory had bad wildcard game with 3 penalties but in regular season he only had 4 for the season- 2 being unnecessary roughness. Dont think hes was a problem

Shula use to insist on and practiced all week for well run low penalty games
Lombardi was known for his rerunning plays in practice until they were perfect. Penalties drove him wild
Oakland was always known for penalty filled games
coaching has a lot to do with how sloppy the team plays

interesing Connor had good week last week

Last edited:

Portnoy1

Reaction score
How/why could/would a HC not know his team’s playbook terminology? That’s either evil or monumentally stupid. I can’t think of a third choice.

Anyone help me out?
It usually depends on there background. A defensive Coach would know most everything about that side of the ball and be able to step in and call plays in place of the DC if need be. Same for a coach with an offensive background. I don't expect Big Mike to know the details on Quinn's defense, but I do expect him to know mostly everything on the offensive side, including the terminology.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Poor guy never had a chance with that Tampa team.

I'm pretty sure he won two division titles with that team in his first 5 years... Not bad coming from expansion IMHO. What proved his ultimate undoing was when the Bucs refused to re-sign Doug Williams. Williams was something like 34-31-1 as their starter.. Everyone else who had played QB for them was something like 5-60. They should have paid him whatever the hell he asked for. As it was all he asked for was like $600k/year which was less than what the Broncos had given Elway (a rookie) the year Williams entered negotiations. It didn't seem unreasonable for a guy who had won two division titles and taken a team that had been 2-28 before he was drafted to the playoffs in 3 of his 5 seasons with them. That move soured the other stars on that team.. Leroy Selmon retired I think the next season.. which was only his 7th or 8th. Hugh Green demanded to be traded.. as did Jimmy Giles.. The Culverhouses absolutely botched that one and it haunted them for almost 15 years.. They didn't have another season above .500 until Tony Dungy came to town. Another concrete example why ownership can't be stupid if you want to field a good team.

75boyz

Reaction score
It usually depends on there background. A defensive Coach would know most everything about that side of the ball and be able to step in and call plays in place of the DC if need be. Same for a coach with an offensive background. I don't expect Big Mike to know the details on Quinn's defense, but I do expect him to know mostly everything on the offensive side, including the terminology.

Exactly.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Those were some of the things he did with Jimmy that caused cracks in their foundation. Brining celebs and Saudi oil barons into the locker room, while Jimmy was trying to talk to the team. The circus began early on and Jerry still doesn’t get it

totally agree--- i get you want a freaky celebration atmosphere....wait til you win superbowl....the coach needs to be able keep all distractions away at times

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am pretty sure a lot of these plays would still work, if they could execute them.

Unfortunately, it seems in the first game we only had 1 player that came to play (Parsons). Well 2 players... I can't fault Zeke for the idiotic idea of 10 carries. I can blame that on coaching
and Dak for no audible out on some of those plays.

I have a fear of this team playing like crap, and Parsons giving up... I hope he doesn't. He seems to be a guy that is a lot more than just about the money I hope.

Legitimate concern