Playoff Bye

JustChip

Reaction score
It’s not like they have a great home field advantage anyways….
That’s really not true. The crowds have been absolutely fantastic, but home field does not compensate enough when the opposition is superior or better prepared. The SF playoff game last year wouldn’t have been as close if that game was in SF.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in firm control for a wild card obviously but the NFC East will be a tough task. I hate to say it but I think that opportunity slipped away when the Colts blew it in the 4th quarter. Had the Eagles lost to the Colts and the refs didn't make sure Mike McCarthy wouldn't beat Aaron Rodgers the Cowboys would be in great shape.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Giants beating Philly once let alone twice.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Having a 1st rd bye sounds nice, but I’m not sure it’ll help this team.

Don’t get me wrong.. I’d love to stuff it to the Eagles and win the Division, but I’ve always been on the fence whether the “extra rest” really helps unless your dealing with a litany of injuries.

Of course the statistics prove me wrong. The following is the percentage of seeded teams that win SB’s since 1975. (When seeding started)

#1 Seed
- 54.4%
#2 Seed - 21.7%
#3 Seed - 4.4%
#4 Seed - 10.9%
#5 Seed - 4.4%
#6 Seed - 4.4%

That said, It hasn’t really worked out for Dallas in over a quarter century.. so there’s that. Maybe I’m old fashioned. I believe there’s something to be said about momentum and players primed and ready to go. For Dal at least, the extra rest seems to neutralize their fight. The last few playoff games, our boys seemed to come out flat and the lack of motivation(aggression) is embarrassing. I’d rather this team have to play throughout the playoffs and play off the momentum.

On the other hand, doesn’t matter what seed they end up with if they lose the first game.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You always want the bye. The more games you have to play, the greater the chance of getting beat. You can’t lose if you have a bye. Plus, every team had rather play at home. It’s just common sense and at home we can avoid cold, windy weather.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys are in firm control for a wild card obviously but the NFC East will be a tough task. I hate to say it but I think that opportunity slipped away when the Colts blew it in the 4th quarter. Had the Eagles lost to the Colts and the refs didn't make sure Mike McCarthy wouldn't beat Aaron Rodgers the Cowboys would be in great shape.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Giants beating Philly once let alone twice.

They don’t need to beat them twice. We only need Philly to lose 1 game. We can give them the 2nd loss ourselves

blueblood70

Reaction score
Having a 1st rd bye sounds nice, but I’m not sure it’ll help this team.

Don’t get me wrong.. I’d love to stuff it to the Eagles and win the Division, but I’ve always been on the fence whether the “extra rest” really helps unless your dealing with a litany of injuries.

Of course the statistics prove me wrong. The following is the percentage of seeded teams that win SB’s since 1975. (When seeding started)

#1 Seed
- 54.4%
#2 Seed
- 21.7%
#3 Seed
- 4.4%
#4 Seed
- 10.9%
#5 Seed
- 4.4%
#6 Seed
- 4.4%

That said, It hasn’t really worked out for Dallas in over a quarter century.. so there’s that. Maybe I’m old fashioned. I believe there’s something to be said about momentum and players primed and ready to go. For Dal at least, the extra rest seems to neutralize their fight. The last few playoff games, our boys seemed to come out flat and the lack of motivation(aggression) is embarrassing. I’d rather this team have to play throughout the playoffs and play off the momentum.

On the other hand, doesn’t matter what seed they end up with if they lose the first game.
its simpler then that,

win the division which seems nearly impossible now to be a 1 or 2 OR be a 5th that's pretty much the way it most likely works out

5th seed, play the Bucs.. get ready. rematch against a QB we have NEVER BEAT in their house.

JBond

Reaction score
Only 1 bye per conference.
  • Current Loss Totals
    • 1 loss: Eagles
    • 2 losses: Vikings (lost to Eagles & Cowboys)
    • 3 losses: Cowboys
    • 4 losses: NYG & 49ers
  • Eagles losses in the remaining 6 games:
    • 0: Bye=Eagles
    • 1: Bye=Eagles
    • 2: Bye= Eagles or Vikings or Cowboys
    • 3: Bye= Any of the 5 listed above.
  • Minimum for Cowboys to get the bye.
    • Upcoming games:
      • Eagles 2 losses
      • Vikings 1 loss
      • Cowboys 0 losses
    • Result:
      • Cowboys 5-1 in NFCE
      • Cowboys vs Eagles 1-1
      • Eagles 4-2 or worse in NFCE
Not hoping other teams do a dang thing to help us. Historically the Cowboys have played the best taking the hardest road. In particular, our first SB in the 90's.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We never seem to do well with 1st round byes in the playoffs.....at least, in recent years.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
..hoping NYG and TENN can take care of biz Vs Philly. Hopefully, Fields can play in the game CHI game.

I think Chicago running the ball can give Philly fits, and limit the number of times Hurts can do the same....

Tennessee the same..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The division is still in play, but we cannot slip up the next few weeks before the final 3 games.
It’s going to be hard not to lose one more game. At Jacksonville, at Tennessee, and at Washington will be tough games for anyone.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem isn't the Eagles with 1 loss. It's the Cowboys with 3. They aren't good enough to run the table.

They're not completely out of it for the 1 seed but it's a real long shot.

Tommy

Reaction score
A first round bye would be nice but I am not too concerned with it. The most important thing is playing your best football come playoff time.

If our offense and defense are both clicking I think we can beat the Eagles in Philly.