Playoff pictures could be similar to last year

SlingBoy

Reaction score
Which is why I'm rooting for SF next week. I'll be happy if we can at least finally make it to the conference championship game!
We were supposed to play the Eagles first last year but the Giants upset the Vikings and the re-seed put us in SF. I don't really care who we play as we will have to probably play both SF and Philly to meet our goals but if we can get over that Divisional Round hump then look out.

Motorola

Reaction score
Let's hope NFL give Cowboys the Saturday wild card game as last year was a short week before the 49ers, as Bucs game was MNF
Back in 2021, with the addition of the 7th playoff berth = a 3rd wildcard team, the NFL contracted with ESPN that each postseason that network would get the last wildcard matchup the opening weekend = Monday Night Playoff Football.
And ---- that matchup will be NFC division winner with the worse record hosting the highest seeded wildcard qualifier = slot no. 5.

2021-22 playoffs___NFC West winner Rams (with worse division title record --- finished 4th to Cowboys by a tiebreaker -- both teams were 12-5).
Hosted No. 5 seed \top wildcard qualifier Cardinals Monday night Jan. 17th, 2022 on ABC/ESPN.

2022-23 playoffs____NFC South winner Buccaneers with 8-9 record hosted No. 5 seed \ top wildcard qualifier Cowboys Monday night Jan. 16th, 2023 on ABC/ESPN.

2023-24 playoffs - whichever NFC team wins their division with the worse record (appears it will be the NFC South Titleist) will host the No. 5 seed = top wildcard qualifier--- be it Cowboys or Eagles, Seahawks, Vikings.
And that game will be on Monday Night, Jan. 15th --- on ABC/ESPN.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We've seen this before - it's called last year. The Cowboys win a lot of games, lose a couple they shouldn't and end up being the 5 seed.

They get a lame NFC South team in round one, roll 'em, hype builds, and guess what happens next?

I'll believe it's different this year when they show me it's different - I don't need fan boys telling me about it now, so don't bother.

The 21st century Cowboys have not earned the benefit of the doubt. They've done the opposite - earned doubt. Show me it's different this time.

Majic

Reaction score
Back in 2021, with the addition of the 7th playoff berth = a 3rd wildcard team, the NFL contracted with ESPN that each postseason that network would get the last wildcard matchup the opening weekend = Monday Night Playoff Football.
And ---- that matchup will be NFC division winner with the worse record hosting the highest seeded wildcard qualifier = slot no. 5.

2021-22 playoffs___NFC West winner Rams (with worse division title record --- finished 4th to Cowboys by a tiebreaker -- both teams were 12-5).
Hosted No. 5 seed \top wildcard qualifier Cardinals Monday night Jan. 17th, 2022 on ABC/ESPN.

2022-23 playoffs____NFC South winner Buccaneers with 8-9 record hosted No. 5 seed \ top wildcard qualifier Cowboys Monday night Jan. 16th, 2023 on ABC/ESPN.

2023-24 playoffs - whichever NFC team wins their division with the worse record (appears it will be the NFC South Titleist) will host the No. 5 seed = top wildcard qualifier--- be it Cowboys or Eagles, Seahawks, Vikings.
And that game will be on Monday Night, Jan. 15th --- on ABC/ESPN.
So we are locked on for MNF by the looks

Kwyn

Reaction score
Possible, but I think we'll be 12-5 for the 3rd straight year.

That said, the blame should NOT be on anyone but the FO for not being aggressive enough to get that extra piece that puts us over the top if we get bounced by SF or PHI.
Which extra piece would that be?

Travis Henry wasn’t traded. Assuming the Titans were interested in trading him, would you have given up a second round pick for him?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas will most likely have to beat both the Eagles and 49ers on the road to get to the Super Bowl "IF" there aren't any upsets in the playoffs. It won't be easy but they did it to themselves by losing to the Cardinals and then failing on opportunity after opportunity to take down the Eagles in Philly.
Damn, a competitive NFL...go figure and give up. The offensive line affected that game.

Last edited:

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
We've seen this before - it's called last year. The Cowboys win a lot of games, lose a couple they shouldn't and end up being the 5 seed.

They get a lame NFC South team in round one, roll 'em, hype builds, and guess what happens next?

I'll believe it's different this year when they show me it's different - I don't need fan boys telling me about it now, so don't bother.

The 21st century Cowboys have not earned the benefit of the doubt. They've done the opposite - earned doubt. Show me it's different this time.
Yep and expect the same this year

CCBoy

Reaction score
Gotta beat one of them to prove you’re a contender. I say, bring them on. Hopefully I don’t regret saying that again lol
They play with the 'big boys' or they don't. Agreed, this is the NFL. Bring 'em on. I'm not tuning in for the series of the Young and Restless, here.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Which extra piece would that be?

Travis Henry wasn’t traded. Assuming the Titans were interested in trading him, would you have given up a second round pick for him?
Said it earlier, but Hargrave was available as a FA.

When I talk about the FO not being aggressive enough, that is not just limited to the 2023 trade deadline.

But to answer your question, would I trade a 2nd for Henry? Absolutely.

That’s basically asking would I trade a Schoonmaker like selection for Henry. With this team’s history with 2nd round picks, it’s a no brainer for me.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They will be in the “ burn barrel “ after round 2.
Prove it providing more than a negative disbelief. I grew up in South Texas and was a dog face for 23 years. Sorry, buddy, I root for my team. I'm still proud for serving and never giving up.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Gotta beat one of them to prove you’re a contender. I say, bring them on. Hopefully I don’t regret saying that again lol
We are going to have to face one of them either way unless they lose in the first round of the playoffs.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Lets go baby if ever there was a time to strike this is it. Hopefully Dak has a solid postseason and guys like Bland, Lamb and Parsons deliver some big plays.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Sure there is history, but if you believe the past years will always dictate the next years success then your probably wasting your time on Sundays... thats the only logic that can be applied to saying "Wake me up after they win" ..ok go back to sleep we will let you know how it turns out...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I said a few years ago when the NFC East was known as the NFC Least and all it took was 9-10 wins to take the division, that eventually someone will emerge and it will take 12+ wins. When you have a team capable of winning 15 games, you can’t afford to have a down week, especially against a bad team. The loss to AZ in week three cost us. I had a lot of fans telling me the loss to AZ wouldn’t matter because Philly will lose at least 5 games. Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

coult44

Reaction score
How crazy would this be........
The Cowboys could go 14-3, be the fifth seed like they were last year and be on the road for all three playoff games and the way it looks now the Cowboys will play the sorry Saints or the Falcons in the first round and if they win that game be on the road at most likely the Niners and Eagles.
I love how things are setting up, but we can’t have unrealistic expectations to not lose any more games. We are about to see just how good we are