Please don't over spend!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You have to look at how the contracts are structured. Most of the contracts for the top DTs have about $45 million in guaranteed money, and most of their comp is salary except for the first year which tends to be bonus prorated over several year making the first year CAP friendly. After that, there is room for restructure if the team needs CAP room, or once the guaranteed money is paid, they can cut the player loose with minimal CAP downside. This is what going all in means. Sign a top guy for a year or 2 then be prepared to waive him or trade him.

We do not want to come out of this offseason with less talent than we went into last season. IMO, pay for the impact DTs and make this year the year we make a deep run into the playoffs.
That’s what the dolphins did with suh years back…after year 2 and all the guaranteed money was paid they moved on.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if they go all in and dont win the Super Bowl, are you for or against going all in?

In other words, is it only based on the result?
Chuck - I would like to see a scenario somewhat like this:

- I would call this the aggressive young roster “all in”. Trade Dak, get some picks, roll with Trey Lance, draft a QB in round 1 and use the other extra picks to bring a large infusion of young talent along with some sprinkled in medium level FAs. If they could draft a good RB in round 2-4 that could play immediately, add some OL talent that could bring back a running game, young talent at LB, they could possibly have a year similar to what the packers and lions had this year where they got better as the year went on and actually have a bright future.

Honestly I don’t think this team is just a player or two away. I would like to see a rebuild in some manner like above. But I also realize it will never happen as long as Jerry’s calling the shots.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

- I would call this the aggressive young roster “all in”. Trade Dak, get some picks, roll with Trey Lance, draft a QB in round 1 and use the other extra picks to bring a large infusion of young talent along with some sprinkled in medium level FAs. If they could draft a good RB in round 2-4 that could play immediately, add some OL talent that could bring back a running game, young talent at LB, they could possibly have a year similar to what the packers and lions had this year where they got better as the year went on and actually have a bright future.

Honestly I don’t think this team is just a player or two away. I would like to see a rebuild in some manner like above. But I also realize it will never happen as long as Jerry’s calling the shots.
Bob you know i'm a huge fan, but I think this is the post of the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfectly said, makes sense, love the humble part where you say MEDIUM level FAs, love this, everyone won't agree, but yes we need something new. Let's look more like these teams out there now, young and talented. Surely we AREN'T a player away or two, we need several! Players are aging, and some will be moving on/need to move on

Loso86

Reaction score
I’d take jones for 20 but that’s not gonna happen. All in remains to be seen. That could mean trading up in the draft as much as spending on players. Hard to read that Johnny Walker mind
Yea it's weird but going all in to me is spending money and trading around to get the RIGHT guys

fivetwos

Reaction score

Yeah but what about the coaching situation after next year?

Can’t bring back MM, they aren’t capable of finding the next up and coming young mind, so what do we even hope for?

Best case is probably a few years of complete humiliation for the two clowns and then maybe, just maybe they will figure out that they aren’t smarter than the rest of the league.

One quits due to being close to 90 and the other throws his hands up and doesn’t want what the fans and media are throwing at him, and hires a real proven and obvious personality to not only run the team but change the culture.

That’s what my hope has been reduced to. It doesn’t even have a shot to begin for 3-5 years. Unbelievable

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know we want to go all in, but let's be smart about this too! Chris Jones at 20 million or Queen at about the same thing, what sense does that make?? Yes we all would like one or even both, but when you truly think about it, is it smart to pay that much?? Please give your thoughts
Is it your money? Lol!

Jayinem

Reaction score
We're not signing Chris Jones or anyone of any significant cap space that isn't currently on the roster. We are going to use up all our space resigning our guys, mostly 3 of them at much higher prices.

Every year fans think we're going to make major moves in free agency and every year Jerry and Stephen do nothing. Same as trade deadline. Jerry was just being a cheerleader when he said "we're going all in" that just means we're bringing back the same roster with some new draft picks like every year.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Is that before or after we pay Micah 30 CeeDee 30 and Dak 50? And those are pretty conservative numbers, it could be more for Micah and Dak.
We don't have to pay Micah. personally I hope we do.. but we don't have to.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Is that before or after we pay Micah 30 CeeDee 30 and Dak 50? And those are pretty conservative numbers, it could be more for Micah and Dak.
SO....extending or restructuring Dak saves between 20 and 26m on this year's cap. Resigning CD can knock as much as 13.5m. So yes, it does consider those things. I am sure we could get a deal for MIcah with the 39.5 million left over.

Jayinem

Reaction score
SO....extending or restructuring Dak saves between 20 and 26m on this year's cap. Resigning CD can knock as much as 13.5m. So yes, it does consider those things. I am sure we could get a deal for MIcah with the 39.5 million left over.
Exactly what I thought, we can pay our own players but where is the money for these free agents? We don't have it.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Going all in doesn't have to mean giving out max contracts. Had they simply invested more at lb when they had the opportunity and at RB they might have been better equipped to make a playoff run.
yeah i dont think your going to see ALL IN in a few players. your going to see ALL IN on bringing in several players as rotation for a position. you need to be looking at Mid level guys 10 - 15 million so you can get 2 guys for the price of 1. at LB same thing 5 - 8 Million so you can get 2 or 3 guys. Resign Gilmore and Lewis. on OL bring back Tyron Smith for a 3 year deal last 2 years are voidable. Sign 1 RB a all purpose one not a Pollard or a Jacobs. in Draft you need to drop back to top of 2nd round and still look for starters, thats Problem with FO they are like our starters are set we need backup with traits. NO NO you need to still Draft players that are starter level.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If anyone here thinks that “all in” comment translates to they are signing Chris Jones, you’re very wrong.
If anyone does think that they’re living in the twilight zone. We have some big contract extensions coming up with our big three.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Too late, Jerry is going all in. I hope he spends everything. I just hope they give dak the loot the other whiners can find a new team. He's dak good.

conner01

Reaction score
Yea it's weird but going all in to me is spending money and trading around to get the RIGHT guys
Me too but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’d trade future picks, move around and looks at even some trades. Look at every possibility

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Exactly what I thought, we can pay our own players but where is the money for these free agents? We don't have it.
Are you dense?

We can make 70m in cap room. That is after resigning CD and restructuring or extending Dak. The only main player needing to be resigned would be Parsons, and that doesn't have to happen for another year. That 70m in cap room would be enough to sign multiple free agents to huge deals if we chose to. I am not saying we will, but we could.

It really comes down to whether Jerry is really serious about going all in. Because even spending a ton of money doesn't guarantee a title.