Please don't over spend!

Creeper

Reaction score
You have to look at how the contracts are structured. Most of the contracts for the top DTs have about $45 million in guaranteed money, and most of their comp is salary except for the first year which tends to be bonus prorated over several year making the first year CAP friendly. After that, there is room for restructure if the team needs CAP room, or once the guaranteed money is paid, they can cut the player loose with minimal CAP downside. This is what going all in means. Sign a top guy for a year or 2 then be prepared to waive him or trade him.

We do not want to come out of this offseason with less talent than we went into last season. IMO, pay for the impact DTs and make this year the year we make a deep run into the playoffs.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know we want to go all in, but let's be smart about this too! Chris Jones at 20 million or Queen at about the same thing, what sense does that make?? Yes we all would like one or even both, but when you truly think about it, is it smart to pay that much?? Please give your thoughts
For Jones I would pay. Doubt he truly becomes available. I'd be more motivated to spend if they weren't in a lame duck year.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Don't be clueless, these are the two clowns you're counting on to finally outsmart the rest of the NFL.

usa_today_16649051.0.jpg
I never said we WOULD do it or we WOULD spend it wisely. But the narrative that so many keep pushing about us not having cap space is just absolutely ridiculous.

conner01

Reaction score
This fan base is so confused on what they want!
I’d take jones for 20 but that’s not gonna happen. All in remains to be seen. That could mean trading up in the draft as much as spending on players. Hard to read that Johnny Walker mind

Rayman70

Reaction score
Is Dallas the only team that still uses the "salary cap" as an excuse to not get guys lol
see, thats my issue with the front office. All by itself the Gilmore signing was decent. I liked it. But if we would have taken the all-in approach and signed a couple more guys for that side of the ball, the signing would have been much better, and yielded better results. Goober and Booger thought that was all we needed. It shows how arrogant they are.

Hardline

Reaction score
At this point I don't care if he bargain basement shops or goes all in.

chuck520

Reaction score
I know we want to go all in, but let's be smart about this too! Chris Jones at 20 million or Queen at about the same thing, what sense does that make?? Yes we all would like one or even both, but when you truly think about it, is it smart to pay that much?? Please give your thoughts
I thought the fans want them going all in this year

chuck520

Reaction score
If this front office knew what it meant to go “all in”, why is 2024 the year they’re going to go “all in”?
Hint: The Jones boys wouldn’t know “all in” if it showed up at their doorstep.

Until these guys actually PROVE they can win some playoff games, ”all in” is a talking point.
if they go all in and dont win the Super Bowl, are you for or against going all in?

In other words, is it only based on the result?

chuck520

Reaction score
We don't have a bunch of money to spend. We already over the cap. We will have to do some restructures and etc to even fit under the cap.
And I don't believe Jerry's "All in" meant signing a bunch of starters in FA. I think his "All in" means we are sticking with our coaches and our players and hoping they win some playoff games next year. The question is if we don't make the playoffs next year or are one and done do will the blow the team up aka don't sign Dak, don't sign lamb, and don't resign Mike McCarthy. That will be a interesting story line.
Mike Fisher has already gone over the cap situation and you can create cap room this year by adjusting contracts

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Gilmore was a good addition. Learning he needed surgery after the playoff loss was telling. People yelled at Quinn for playing zone against GB, but you can't play press man with one arm, and they didn't trust Nashon Wright to replace him. Ultimately, losing Diggs became a huge issue come playoff time. I'm not putting that on Gilmore.

But as we've both said, Jerry's idea of "all in" isn't what some want to believe.
Jerry's idea of getting all in is getting on tv and saying," We like our guys!"

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think you're going to have to worry about it. "All in" is a good way to try and keep fans excited in what is quickly shaping up to be a lame duck season. I'm fully expecting to hear "Hey, we tried but....." In a few months.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All in all, we could go all in, my only concern is I think this was the year to do it. Schedule next year is tougher...we probably won't have a DCoordinator as good, and honestly the potential for McCarthy to loose the team given his contract status is definitely there, but we could add a premium DTackle if we wanted and an upgrade at LB
very true

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They can’t get several big name players, the argument you are making isn’t reality based. They likely don’t get 1 big name free agent but they could get 1 big name guy if they wanted.
I totally agree, but still what the hell does all in mean??? Lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Another Cowboys fan who wants to punt the off-season.

I just don't get it. Teams have shown over and over that "cap hell' is a myth.

We are however in Jones Hell.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think you're going to have to worry about it. "All in" is a good way to try and keep fans excited in what is quickly shaping up to be a lame duck season. I'm fully expecting to hear "Hey, we tried but....." In a few months.
lool right!!