Please help me understand the impact of coaching!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So I am an original anti-Garrett guy. I think he is a nice guy. Represents the organization well. If I was looking for a sales guy I would hire him. Football coach - I think the guy is below average to terrible. Since day one (including his time as OC) he has been the beneficiary of good QB play for all but 1 year. We know what happened that one year. IMO he costs the team 2 games a year. I could go on and on. My sense is that most have the Cowboys between 8 and 10 wins. A fringe playoff contender. I just do not understand why. The HC is going into year 9, should they be better by now? We Cowboys fans tend to be biased towards our players. We just know our roster better so most chronically overestimate the talent level. That said, and maybe I am biased, I think this team is solid top to bottom. Then why do I think this is a fringe playoff team? Jason Garrett and his coordinators instill little confidence.

Please provide me with some insight. If the following guys were our Head Coach what would you expect this season's record to be? Pretend you are betting the kid's college fund(s) on it.

Bill Belichick (The Best) 12-14 wins
Urban Meyer (The Best in College) 11-13 wins
Dabo Swinney (The next best in college) 10-12 wins
Kyle Shanahan (The young gun) 10-12 wins
Bill Cowher (Retired, but still great) 11-13 wins

That's how I see it. IMO NFL coaches impact the game more than any other professional sport.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Agree with your post but WHAT are you smoking?

Until Nick & Bill retire, they are the best at the college & NFL level and its not even close.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Until Nick & Bill retire, they are the best at the college & NFL level and its not even close.

Not even close? Have you looked at Urban Meyer's record? I am not discounting Saban at all. Guy is an all-time great. Today though you would take Meyer over Saban. 2015 is hard to forget.

Batman1980

Reaction score
It's weird how all the best coaches in the NFL have great quarterbacks and terrific personnel departments.

You mean Jimmy Johnson didn't get it done by being a jerk? Illusion shattered! Question, was Phil Simms a great QB?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Head coaches impact vary with their styles. Belichek is very hands on with game plans and personnel. Garrett is the opposite. I wonder how they would do if Belichek worked for Jerry and Carrot worked for Kraft? Hmmmmm?

Dre11

Reaction score
You mean Jimmy Johnson didn't get it done by being a jerk? Illusion shattered! Question, was Phil Simms a great QB?

Jimmy got it done by having great talent along with an owner that could/would spend the most money without a salary cap. That right there is huge.

glimmerman

Reaction score
At first I thought when JG took over mid season that this guy gets the team ready to play. He is a motivator. This team turned around when he took over and they fought.

Then I realized that the players gave up on wade and once he was fired that JJ said wade may not be the only one and no one was safe. And JJ knew they quit on the HC. So the players just got scared they could lose there cushy jobs also, so they started doing there jobs.

We have all watched JG learn how to be a HC on the job over the last 8 years. I have seen him ice his own kicker. Lol. At least he isn’t doing that anymore. I think he may have hit his ceiling. Seems we get outcoached when we hit the playoffs. Or he can’t get the team prepared for a big game. He was a player during our dominate team in the 90’s. Can’t build teams like that anymore with a salary cap. His playbook seems to be from the same era. Every year I hope he takes the next step.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not even close? Have you looked at Urban Meyer's record? I am not discounting Saban at all. Guy is an all-time great. Today though you would take Meyer over Saban. 2015 is hard to forget.
Yeah I've watched their careers & understand the records. I also am not discounting Meyer (I have always like him) but I would actually be tempted to put Dabo over him right now. Saban, like BB, has completely changed how people view the game, how programs are ran, the whole nine yards. The innovator with all the records & rings should be held in higher esteem is why i say it isn't even close. Even if they had the same championships, I would give the edge to Nick for moving the game forward.

What is hard to forget about 2015? A TD loss without a very good QB against a team that was absolutely loaded and got their QB to play outta his mind for a few weeks. It happens.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You know you have a problem at HC when you're up by 2 TDs at halftime and you realize your sphincter is even tighter at the beginning of the 3rd Qtr. than it was when the game started.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I am an original anti-Garrett guy. I think he is a nice guy. Represents the organization well. If I was looking for a sales guy I would hire him. Football coach - I think the guy is below average to terrible. Since day one (including his time as OC) he has been the beneficiary of good QB play for all but 1 year. We know what happened that one year. IMO he costs the team 2 games a year. I could go on and on. My sense is that most have the Cowboys between 8 and 10 wins. A fringe playoff contender. I just do not understand why. The HC is going into year 9, should they be better by now? We Cowboys fans tend to be biased towards our players. We just know our roster better so most chronically overestimate the talent level. That said, and maybe I am biased, I think this team is solid top to bottom. Then why do I think this is a fringe playoff team? Jason Garrett and his coordinators instill little confidence.

Please provide me with some insight. If the following guys were our Head Coach what would you expect this season's record to be? Pretend you are betting the kid's college fund(s) on it.

Bill Belichick (The Best) 12-14 wins
Dabo Swinney (The next best in college) 10-12 wins
Kyle Shanahan (The young gun) 10-12 wins
Bill Cowher (Retired, but still great) 11-13 wins

That's how I see it. IMO NFL coaches impact the game more than any other professional sport.

Dude, 500 people could coach this team just ask Jerry. :thumbup:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think it's impossible to predict how college coaches will do in the NFL. Saban gave it a try and went 15-17. Steve Spurrier crashed to 12-20. Chip Kelly, who I wish was still in Philly, came and went at 28-36.

Then, there are success stories like Pete Carroll in Seattle, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh, Dick Vermeil, Don Coryell and Tom Couglin.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I wouldn't hire JG to coach high school ball ... he seem like a snake. Has no problem tossing players under the bus, but never is critical of his terrible coaching ...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't hire JG to coach high school ball ... he seem like a snake. Has no problem tossing players under the bus, but never is critical of his terrible coaching ...

This is a false perception. People have to actually read or listen to what he says and not what some sensationalized headline tells them. Garrett goes into press conferences and is expected to talk about games, and to do that he has to talk about what went wrong as well as what went right. Saying, for example, there were some breakdowns in pass protection is not throwing the O-Line under the bus, it's just a statement relating a problem the team had in the game. But there may be a headline designed to suck in readers that suggests something different, and the fact that people buy into it is proof it works, and exactly why they do it.

A lot of fans actually chastise Garrett and call him soft for not publically going after players who don't get the job done. Instead Garrett chooses to handle things internally, outside the view of reporters. He probably protects players to a fault.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think Garrett will win 11-13 games this year and win our division, so the fringe element I think is way off. But out of the list of guys, I wouldn't want any of them over Garrett except Bill B. The ones from college are just as likely to be a flop as a good NFL coach, Saban is one of the best ever to coach College ball and was a very bad NFL coach, same with Chip Kelly and so many others. I would prefer to have the guy that has transformed this roster into a young, talented team, all the while getting the cap under control and has proven he can win 12, 13 games in the nfl, once with a great QB and once with a rookie QB. Garrett is an above average NFL coach, he is not great but he is better than most in the NFL, I would say around 10 or 11th out of the 32 HC. Maybe we could strike gold with a college HC, it certainly has happened before, but we would also risk getting a chip kelly type and destroying all the work over the last several years to put this team together. Just think of all the damage Wade did after Bill P left. We were on the edge and then that change totally caved in the progress that was made. It was shame really.

DiResta

Reaction score
if you dont have a very good qb you better have a very good defense
preferably both

DiResta

Reaction score
You know you have a problem at HC when you're up by 2 TDs at halftime and you realize your sphincter is even tighter at the beginning of the 3rd Qtr. than it was when the game started.
even when Romo carried the team those years with **** at receiver, putting your team ahead only to watch the defense **** the bed and lose the game
thats on Garrett but its also on lack of talent and/or depth
you aint winning against top contenders with George Selvie and Jeremy Mincey bookending your defense

counter point
if Tom Brady was the qb and you had a guy like Fletcher Cox as your 3 tech with a good safety -say that brought your defense to a true top 10 defense
could Garrett win playoff games?