Please, no hate mail... but I have a question!

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
Tony Romo has been a great sparkplug and is playing very well for this Cowboys team but do we need to look for another QB in the draft?My point, is Romo a situational QB that has enough talent and is in the right system at the right time or does Dallas still need a leader with a better pedigree? Example: Rich Gannon and Kurt W. Both were in the right system and worked out well but didn't have a extended NFL . I know some of you would take a Kurt or Rich type of production right now but do we need a true 1st rounder?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
No, why do you think we need a first round player at quarterback?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
bunny-pancake.gif

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212136 said:
Tony Romo has been a great sparkplug and is playing very well for this Cowboys team but do we need to look for another QB in the draft?My point, is Romo a situational QB that has enough talent and is in the right system at the right time or does Dallas still need a leader with a better pedigree? Example: Rich Gannon and Kurt W. Both were in the right system and worked out well but didn't have a extended NFL . I know some of you would take a Kurt or Rich type of production right now but do we need a true 1st rounder?
If by being in the right system you mean constantly making plays after the pocket collapses and the system consists of so many different offensive packages that you couldn't possibly characterize the game plan, then yeah he's just a "system QB."

Bleed Blue

Dallas 67
Reaction score
You guys quit homering out for just a sec. I'm on the Romo "BandWagon" to but you know that's the next thing that's going to happen. Now that Romo has made everyone open their eyes he will have to prove his worth and staying power because of his background. If QBs were that easy to find noone wouls draft one in the high rounds.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
what was easy, We got lucky as all hell. He isn't a system QB nothing he does is anything like warner, Other than his numbers. you are worrying about something that isn't at all based on facts. It's not homerism to realize what we have.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212136 said:

Romo is better than *.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212136 said:

I agree to a certain extent, but hear me out. My belief is that the biggest mistake this franchise ever made was relying on Aikman too long, and not drafting a QB to take his place while Aikman was on the downswing.

Based on the commentary I hear from Aikman during the game, there would be no better tutor for a young QB. It was a dire shame to not have a young QB on the roster to tap into his knowledge.

With that being said, I do feel that we need to draft a QB at some point, but not next year. I would wait until about year 3 or 4 with Romo (assuming all goes well). Romo would be in his late 20's by then, and would have a few years left, but we would have another guy waiting in the wings.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212136 said:
John Beck of BYU in the 3rd round would be a good young guy to groom behind Romo.

I do think we'll get a Vet since Bledsoe most likely will be gone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tuna Helper;1212197 said:
I agree to a certain extent, but hear me out. My belief is that the biggest mistake this franchise ever made was relying on Aikman too long, and not drafting a QB to take his place while Aikman was on the downswing.

Based on the commentary I hear from Aikman during the game, there would be no better tutor for a young QB. It was a dire shame to not have a young QB on the roster to tap into his knowledge.

With that being said, I do feel that we need to draft a QB at some point, but not next year. I would wait until about year 3 or 4 with Romo (assuming all goes well). Romo would be in his late 20's by then, and would have a few years left, but we would have another guy waiting in the wings.
Good post.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We need to focus squarely on the offensive line. Bring in some talented young hogs.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Tuna Helper;1212197 said:

I hear you and I do agree. But we've got to be careful. We want someone who will be the Next Romo.

We can check Eastern Ill. .

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212178 said:
You guys quit homering out for just a sec. I'm on the Romo "BandWagon" to but you know that's the next thing that's going to happen. Now that Romo has made everyone open their eyes he will have to prove his worth and staying power because of his background. If QBs were that easy to find noone wouls draft one in the high rounds.
Yeah, not wanting to draft a QB in the first round when you have the highest rated QB in the league is really homering out. :rolleyes:

sago1

Reaction score
Romo has exceeded any expectations we would have had for any first round pick. Take another look at his stats if you think he's a situational QB. Sure he's helped by playing with some good WRs in TO, Terry Glenn & Crayton but our running game certainly isn't great (like MBIII & JJ does his best) and our OL isn't great. Despite all that, I'll still wait to end of season before declaring him our future franchise QB--but I sure like what I see so far both on the field and off of it. I would think the Cowboy organization also feels the same way. Jerry Jones can barely contain his excitement; the poor guy can't believe he might actually have a stud franchise QB on the team.

So in answer to your answer, no way do I see the Cowboys using a high draft pick to go after a QB just because he has a better pedrigre. Actually Romo has a good pedrigre but from a small school; he won Walter Payton award for his work in AA Division and came to attention of Sean Peyton who was also a QB at that school and set the records that Romo broke. Romo was supposedly forecast to go in the draft between 4 & 6th rounds but didn't make it. We got lucky cause he signed with us (understand most othe teams offered him contracts/more money then we gave him) but we won out & we darn't lucky. Other teams already are using same planning that they use against Peyton Manning, Brady & other elite NFL QBs so that should tell you something.

When H/C John Gruden of Tampa after seeing Romo's performance says he thought he was saying Troy Aikman out there, what would you think that meant. When Ronda Barber hear in Tampa talks about how well Romo is playing and at what level, why would we need use a high draft pick just to get a QB with a pedigree which might mean nothing; 50% of those first rounders don't make it, after all. Shoot, H/C John Fox of the Panthers said after last nite's game when queried about sitting Delhomme said he didn't have the alternative of a Romo backing Delhomme up that he could go to. Finally, didn't you notice how so many other teams sat their starters and went to their backups after watching Romo for a few weeks.

Don't get me wrong Romo is still a work in progress. Teams will try to defense him and prevent him from so successfully reading their defenses & containing him in the pocket, etc. but more & more I get the feeling that NFL teams around the league think he's the real deal. Only those fans of other teams don't want to acknowledge that possibility.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1212198 said:
John Beck of BYU in the 3rd round would be a good young guy to groom behind Romo.

I do think we'll get a Vet since Bledsoe most likely will be gone.
How bout a Kevin Kolb out of UH?

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1212225 said:
How bout a Kevin Kolb out of UH?

Good finds guys! With the emergence of Romo, I've been paying a lot more attention to QBs not named Brady Quinn. There is always a diamond in the rough.

Honestly, QB is the most difficult position to evaluate these days. There are so many intangibles required of that position, that there is no telling who will succeed (Romo) and who won't (Ryan Leaf).