Please, no hate mail... but I have a question!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
peplaw06;1212577 said:
Well they definitely don't have the same coach... Art Briles from the late 90s Stephenville teams is head coach there. Whether they have the same system I don't know, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen much of Kolb though. I wouldn't mind using a late rounder on him or bringing him in as a UDFA.
He'll definitely go drafted. Probably late first day, maybe slip to second day.

ghst187

Reaction score
To an extent, most successful QBs are system guys. There's probably only a handful of guys that would've been successful anywhere....and they all have a bust in Canton.
Look at Brett Favre now, without much surrounding talent. Does he suck as a QB now? Or does some of it have to do with a lack of surrounding cast?
What about Steve Young in his Tampa Bay years?
What about Jeff George looking like an all-pro in Minnesota when Culpepper got hurt a few years ago......yet now where is he?
Is David Carr that bad?
Why is Joey Harrington having so much success all of a sudden?
Is Brady getting worse, or is his surrounding talent leading to his more frequent INTs?

Becoming a great, successful QB in this league, IMO, has a LOT to do with the right talent going to the right spot (team), playing in the right system (coaching), with the right complementary talent. And I think this is true for everyone, Aikman, Marino, etc.

As for drafting someone, we DEFINITELY need to draft someone at QB. Every team has to rely on a backup at some point and you always want to have someone young who is developing behind the current star. We made the mistake of not doing that with Aikman and it cost us about a decade of non-competitiveness.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas 67;1212136 said:
Tony Romo has been a great sparkplug and is playing very well for this Cowboys team but do we need to look for another QB in the draft?
Absolutely. But not in the first round or day one. We should draft a QB late in day two every year.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Hostile;1212198 said:
John Beck of BYU in the 3rd round would be a good young guy to groom behind Romo.

I do think we'll get a Vet since Bledsoe most likely will be gone.

i like Beck as well, but i wouldnt mind Chad Henne either.:starspin

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
System Quarterback?

When a guy rolls out of the pocket on his own, and buys himself an extra 3 seconds (which is a life time in football seconds as a QB in the NFL) and those 3 seconds does a few things.

1.It allows him to be far far away from any threat of getting sacked .
2.It prevents any tall linemen from tipping the pass at the LOS .
3. And third, it allows Witten time to run a route where he actually stops, fakes inside and then shoot upfield to make the reception from Romo.

This my friend, is a smart talented QB that is rare. When you find a guy like that, you hold on tight and never let go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1212870 said:
ROMO has to FAIL first.......
What the hell are you talking about?

He has to fail before we draft a backup QB? He has to fail before we look to the future? He has to fail?

So, all we should do to address QB for this team is to find someone to replace Bledsoe who is a Vet, and do nothing else?

That kind of thinking caused us to not be ready when we lost Aikman and to spend several years in QB limbo.

Great thinking...[/sarcasm off]

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1212880 said:
Ahhh, pedigree. Thats worked out so well for us.;)
Yes it has. Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman delivered 5 Super Bowl wins and 7 trips to the game. Craig Morton, a 1st round Draft pick delivered one more trip to the Super Bowl. How many division titles behind the top QBs of our past?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas 67;1212136 said:
Tony Romo has been a great sparkplug and is playing very well for this Cowboys team but do we need to look for another QB in the draft?My point, is Romo a situational QB that has enough talent and is in the right system at the right time or does Dallas still need a leader with a better pedigree? Example: Rich Gannon and Kurt W. Both were in the right system and worked out well but didn't have a extended NFL . I know some of you would take a Kurt or Rich type of production right now but do we need a true 1st rounder?

Romo is outplaying many 1st rd QB's right now so no I don't draft a #1 QB. I do think it would be wise for Dallas to take a QB in this upcoming draft but I would not do it in the 1st 2 rd of the draft.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hostile;1212198 said:
I do think we'll get a Vet since Bledsoe most likely will be gone.

I saw a picture of Hasselback after the Giants game talking to Parcells, maybe he was lobbying for Parcells to give him a look as a vet backup next year.

We could do better maybe, but we could do worse.

I think he looked good when I saw him play at Wash.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
stealth;1212145 said:
I hate you
whats your address?

:lmao:

I dont think the Patriots are or were looking to replace Brady with a QB with a better pedigree. The only thing that matters is whether or not they can play. Dallas does need to find a good backup though.