Please, no hate mail... but I have a question!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
sago1;1212219 said:
Romo has exceeded any expectations we would have had for any first round pick. Take another look at his stats if you think he's a situational QB. Sure he's helped by playing with some good WRs in TO, Terry Glenn & Crayton but our running game certainly isn't great (like MBIII & JJ does his best) and our OL isn't great. Despite all that, I'll still wait to end of season before declaring him our future franchise QB--but I sure like what I see so far both on the field and off of it. I would think the Cowboy organization also feels the same way. Jerry Jones can barely contain his excitement; the poor guy can't believe he might actually have a stud franchise QB on the team.

So in answer to your answer, no way do I see the Cowboys using a high draft pick to go after a QB just because he has a better pedrigre. Actually Romo has a good pedrigre but from a small school; he won Walter Payton award for his work in AA Division and came to attention of Sean Peyton who was also a QB at that school and set the records that Romo broke. Romo was supposedly forecast to go in the draft between 4 & 6th rounds but didn't make it. We got lucky cause he signed with us (understand most othe teams offered him contracts/more money then we gave him) but we won out & we darn't lucky. Other teams already are using same planning that they use against Peyton Manning, Brady & other elite NFL QBs so that should tell you something.

When H/C John Gruden of Tampa after seeing Romo's performance says he thought he was saying Troy Aikman out there, what would you think that meant. When Ronda Barber hear in Tampa talks about how well Romo is playing and at what level, why would we need use a high draft pick just to get a QB with a pedigree which might mean nothing; 50% of those first rounders don't make it, after all. Shoot, H/C John Fox of the Panthers said after last nite's game when queried about sitting Delhomme said he didn't have the alternative of a Romo backing Delhomme up that he could go to. Finally, didn't you notice how so many other teams sat their starters and went to their backups after watching Romo for a few weeks.

Don't get me wrong Romo is still a work in progress. Teams will try to defense him and prevent him from so successfully reading their defenses & containing him in the pocket, etc. but more & more I get the feeling that NFL teams around the league think he's the real deal. Only those fans of other teams don't want to acknowledge that possibility.

Hey Dallas67. If you passed over this, read it. It will answer your questions and remove any doubt.

I have been extremely happy with everything I've actually seen going back to preseason. I'm not predicting the future here. But the QB play I've seen from Romo is as good as any QB play I seen in 30 years.
Interesting thing is that he is best at what is most important for a QB to succeed.
His field vision is outstanding. The decisions he makes convinces me that he's picking up all the defenders.
His release is lightning quick.
He has pin point accuarcy.
He has tremendous pocket presence.
He throws as well on the move as Montana.
This is an easily overlooked but valuable skill. It's what I believed truely set Montana apart from the field and it's what I think sets Romo apart.
Getting out of the pocket is a good thing for most QB's. I gives receivers more time to uncover and leads to big plays. Even the immobile QB like Bledsoe can have success as he did with us on occassion last year. The big difference is that most QB's have to reset their feet.
McNabb is a perfect example. He's as mobile as anyone and often escapes the pocket. However, if you go back and watch him you'll notice that he always resets his feet. He like most QB's can't effectively throw on the run.

ringmaster

Reaction score
sago1;1212219 said:
Romo has exceeded any expectations we would have had for any first round pick. Take another look at his stats if you think he's a situational QB. Sure he's helped by playing with some good WRs in TO, Terry Glenn & Crayton but our running game certainly isn't great (like MBIII & JJ does his best) and our OL isn't great. Despite all that, I'll still wait to end of season before declaring him our future franchise QB--but I sure like what I see so far both on the field and off of it. I would think the Cowboy organization also feels the same way. Jerry Jones can barely contain his excitement; the poor guy can't believe he might actually have a stud franchise QB on the team.

So in answer to your answer, no way do I see the Cowboys using a high draft pick to go after a QB just because he has a better pedrigre. Actually Romo has a good pedrigre but from a small school; he won Walter Payton award for his work in AA Division and came to attention of Sean Peyton who was also a QB at that school and set the records that Romo broke. Romo was supposedly forecast to go in the draft between 4 & 6th rounds but didn't make it. We got lucky cause he signed with us (understand most othe teams offered him contracts/more money then we gave him) but we won out & we darn't lucky. Other teams already are using same planning that they use against Peyton Manning, Brady & other elite NFL QBs so that should tell you something.

When H/C John Gruden of Tampa after seeing Romo's performance says he thought he was saying Troy Aikman out there, what would you think that meant. When Ronda Barber hear in Tampa talks about how well Romo is playing and at what level, why would we need use a high draft pick just to get a QB with a pedigree which might mean nothing; 50% of those first rounders don't make it, after all. Shoot, H/C John Fox of the Panthers said after last nite's game when queried about sitting Delhomme said he didn't have the alternative of a Romo backing Delhomme up that he could go to. Finally, didn't you notice how so many other teams sat their starters and went to their backups after watching Romo for a few weeks.

Don't get me wrong Romo is still a work in progress. Teams will try to defense him and prevent him from so successfully reading their defenses & containing him in the pocket, etc. but more & more I get the feeling that NFL teams around the league think he's the real deal. Only those fans of other teams don't want to acknowledge that possibility.
Well if history tells us that many good QBs comes late in the draft: Montana (third round), Farve (third round), Brady (sixth round), just to name a few.

Many first round QBs doesn't live up to the hype and I don't have to go over the list it will take too long so why would the Cowboys, draft a QB in the first round with the emergence of Romo, not going to happen maybe a qb later on in the draft but definitely not the first round.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
If the Cowboys can't bring in an adequate backup another QB is going to have to be found somehow. The first round? Oh no! 2nd? Only if someone drops, otherwise no. 3rd? I'd seriously consider it. The Falcons used a 3rd of Matt Schaub and he's been a good backup for them and might net them a first rounder this year when he hits restricted free agency.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Who Knows, Maybe Elly will be available by years end to back up T.R.:rolleyes:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Frankly, spending $20 million on a rookie quarterback that doesn't fit our system sounds like a splendid idea to me.

The less players that fit the system, the better. What we need is more first rounders.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I'm kinda intrigued w/ Colt Brennan of Hawaii as an early 2nd day pick.

I realize he's put up the numbers that he did playing for June Jones, but I think he has some tools that's worth developing.

The little I saw of him, I thought his release looked a bit side arm, but there'll be plenty of time to correct that.

MONT17

Reaction score
I would like to see BP get ROMO some young weapons with that first round pick... and some OL later!!!

But to draft a Young QB late, like some fans are saying, to watch him develop would be fun... as fan its always fun to watch the young guys grow from year to year!!!

First round may be a bit much since Romo will be getting MEGA bucks soon enough!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1212225 said:
How bout a Kevin Kolb out of UH?
I'm not crazy about Houston QBs because that system has not worked well in the NFL. I do like the kid's toughness though. If you have other info on him that you think I should consider, please post it or PM me with it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1212390 said:
I'm not crazy about Hawaii QBs because that system has not worked well in the NFL. I do like the kid's toughness though.
Houston, duder.

alancdc

Reaction score
Can we just enjoy Romo for a few weeks before we start talking about him being a situational player? I'm not even sure what that means. A situational player, to me, is Jerome Bettis coming in on the goal line and getting a 1 yard TD in that situation. Never heard of a QB being situational? He's in on every play. We haven't had a QB since 1999, and for me I have seen enough baring injury the guy is going to be around for the rest of this decade.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1212144 said:
bunny-pancake.gif

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hailmary;1212412 said:
Are they still running the same system tho?
Probably not. It's just a deep seated reticence on my part. He could be great. As I said, I do like his toughness.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1212395 said:
Sorry, that's what I meant.

Ware, Klingler, etc.
I don't have much insight on the guy except that he's smart and accurate and doesn't rely on sheer talent.

Who does this remind you of?
  • He is a better than average athlete at his position, who's intensity for the game is hard to match, and one who likes to attack defenses throwing a variety of balls from anywhere on the field, his accuracy and touch are good which makes for easier catches for receivers
  • He is good at checking down to various receivers, who is willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit to complete the pass, the talent around him needs to elevate their play for more team success, his future is limitless to his willingness to be the best player he can be
  • At times he throws ill advised passes due to his confidence in his own ability, and he could use some work on his ball handling skills as well, both parts of his game should improve with time and maturity

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
THere's to many Variable to challenge ROMO's long term success....Is he the next coming oF Brett Farve, or just a Jake Delhomme....the Cowboys do need to be careful here... In ROMO we trust but we still prepare for the Future...

Angus

Reaction score
Dale;1212376 said:
Frankly, spending $20 million on a rookie quarterback that doesn't fit our system sounds like a splendid idea to me.

The less players that fit the system, the better. What we need is more first rounders.

Tch, tch, Dale. Be nice!

:D

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Wait. Hold on........OK, I'm lost now. Carry on.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;1212414 said:
Probably not. It's just a deep seated reticence on my part. He could be great. As I said, I do like his toughness.

Well they definitely don't have the same coach... Art Briles from the late 90s Stephenville teams is head coach there. Whether they have the same system I don't know, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen much of Kolb though. I wouldn't mind using a late rounder on him or bringing him in as a UDFA.