CFZ Point Differential and NFC Championship Games last 5 years

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure by now you have heard that point differential- the number points more your teams scores than your opponents all year- is one of the biggest indicators of playoff success. It’s amazingly accurate.

As it stands today, our Cowboys have the highest point differential in the entire NFL with a +188. The niners are second with +175. The eagles have a paltry +21.

So how important is point differential? In the last 5 seasons- 2018-2022- four of the five NFC championship games included the two teams in the conference with highest PD.
  • 2018 NFC championship was between New Orleans at +151 and LA Rams at +133 (Rams won and advanced to SB)
  • 2019 NFC championship was between SF at +169 and GB at +63 (SF won and advanced to SB)
  • 2020 NFC Championship was between TB at +134 and GB at +140 (TB won and also won SB)
  • 2021 NFC Championship was between LA Rams at +88 and SF +62 (Rams won and won SB) This was the only yr NFC championship was not between at least one of the highest PD teams.
  • 2022 NFC Championship was between SF at +173 and Phi at +133 (eagles won and advanced to SB)
Heres a cool link showing details of current point differentials in the league:
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-scoring-margin

Again, it’s no guarantee but having a huge PD is a big indicator of a real SB contender.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a stat this morning on one of the shows.
i only caught the tail end of it.

Said only 4 teams won by an average of 20 points or more, and all 4 went to the SB When that happened.
But can’t remember if they said all 4 won the SB or maybe it was only 2 pr 3 of the teams.

Dallas is at that point.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a stat this morning on one of the shows.
i only caught the tail end of it.

Said only 4 teams won by an average of 20 points or more, and all 4 went to the SB When that happened.
But can’t remember if they said all 4 won the SB or maybe it was only 2 pr 3 of the teams.

Dallas is at that point.
That link I posted had some amazing numbers. The Cowboys average margin of victory at home is +24. That is stunning. Equally interesting is they are only +2.8 on the road. We have 3 road tests ahead so hopefully we can improve in that area.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m sure by now you have heard that point differential- the number points more your teams scores than your opponents all year- is one of the biggest indicators of playoff success. It’s amazingly accurate.

As it stands today, our Cowboys have the highest point differential in the entire NFL with a +188. The niners are second with +175. The eagles have a paltry +21.

So how important is point differential? In the last 5 seasons- 2018-2022- four of the five NFC championship games included the two teams in the conference with highest PD.
  • 2018 NFC championship was between New Orleans at +151 and LA Rams at +133 (Rams won and advanced to SB)
  • 2019 NFC championship was between SF at +169 and GB at +63 (SF won and advanced to SB)
  • 2020 NFC Championship was between TB at +134 and GB at +140 (TB won and also won SB)
  • 2021 NFC Championship was between LA Rams at +88 and SF +62 (Rams won and won SB) This was the only yr NFC championship was not between at least one of the highest PD teams.
  • 2022 NFC Championship was between SF at +173 and Phi at +133 (eagles won and advanced to SB)

Again, it’s no guarantee but having a huge PD is a big indicator of a real SB contender.
We are contenders!!!!!!!!
Bob said so!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score

How bout that. This Cowboy team is very good.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How bout that. This Cowboy team is very good.
It is very good. But this team will ultimately be judged by what it does in the playoffs. I’m excited but let’s not bring out the anointing oil just yet.

rambo2

Reaction score
It is very good. But this team will ultimately be judged by what it does in the playoffs. I’m excited but let’s not bring out the anointing oil just yet.
The talent is certainly there. They are very good and setting records.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Were any of those teams a 5-seed, though? That's the bigger obstacle to me - having to win 3 road playoff games.

I'll feel a lot better if Dallas is at least the 2-seed. Still three games, but at least two would be in the now-fortress of Jerryworld. Obviously, still hoping for the one.