Poison Ivy

Juggernaut

Reaction score
The Mads!
My favorite riffers!

Loved their last live one with the Kevin Q&A.
I wonder if they're going to eventually drag Mike on the show.
I don't think Joel is going to show up anytime soon... lol.
I couldn't agree more. The shows featuring educational short films are always my favorite. The short about marijuana with Sonny Bono was hilarious. You didn't need to be "blowing grass" to laugh.:laugh:

morasp

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured as much when it said it removes the oil. For future use, I guess.
Before I found that I had a really bad case and went to a clinic that gave me a prescription for a cream that worked pretty well called triamcinolone acetonide. It's steroidal so I use it sparingly.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Go to your local Doc-in-a-box (or to your GP). They'll give you a steroid pack to deal with it. I've actually had to do two courses of steroids to beat back a bad case. It can be pretty miserable waiting for lotions and over the counter remedies to help.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i thought this was about the sexy batman villian.
whoops.
back to the draft.
200.gif

3909333bb21519a6425993926af9f0a5.gif

tumblr_m9xthx5RbR1qao34qo4_500.gif

tumblr_pw72i8ajcV1uezmbko4_400.gifv

wrongway

Reaction score
It's not, but it works. I've used bleach for years to get rid of it. First get in a really hot shower, scrub the area with a plastic mesh scrubber, then pour bleach on it (Not to the point where you've opened a wound)..stings like a bleep but gets rid of the oil, dries it out and kills the itching. It's usually gone in a couple of days and won't spread.
Yes sir, i also used gasoline when I was in high school. Not the smartest idea but I would do anything to stop that itching.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So I ordered some on Friday, it arrived on Sunday. I used it a couple of times, and the itching is now gone, though that may not be related, since it's more than a week since I got poison ivy...but I like that it has granules in it that scratch the itch without damaging the skin.

morasp

Reaction score
So I ordered some on Friday, it arrived on Sunday. I used it a couple of times, and the itching is now gone, though that may not be related, since it's more than a week since I got poison ivy...but I like that it has granules in it that scratch the itch without damaging the skin.
Good, glad it helped I was miserable when I got it. I usually shower shortly after I get done mowing and do a good scrub with it. Someone told my wife that Dawn dishwashing detergent is good to wash the oils away once they're loose so I follow with that. It's kind of a hassle but beats the alternative.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Last year, at the age of 56 was the first time in my life I'd ever been affected by poison ivy. I already have it again this year.
What a horrible mistake of nature. It's not bad enough that it itches like nothing I've ever felt before, but just when you think you know where on your body it is, it spreads to somewhere else entirely. Not only that, but it can pop up in a new place days after it initially manifested.
Then, to makes matters worse, you never know exactly when you contracted it, so you don't know where you got it, or how many things you've spread the oil to, and the oil can stay on objects for literally years, just waiting to get you again.
Any advice from anyone who's used to this plague and learned how to treat it?
* Bro, yer' way late to that party, as you can enjoy it's effects by Secondary transferred contact, like,say dragging a couple 20 ft. Binding chains thru a patch of it after unloading a backhoe at location& stowing 'em back on yer' rig,,,wait till you party w/ a patch of Oklahoma 'chiggers',,,:lmao2:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
* Bro, yer' way late to that party, as you can enjoy it's effects by Secondary transferred contact, like,say dragging a couple 20 ft. Binding chains thru a patch of it after unloading a backhoe at location& stowing 'em back on yer' rig,,,wait till you party w/ a patch of Oklahoma 'chiggers',,,:lmao2:
I know it can stay on some materials for years, but I can't figure out what I touched or wore that might have been corrupted. I finally found some plants around my house, but nowhere that I'd been recently. It barely got my legs at all, so I'm thinking it was the roots I was ripping out, where the skid steer had torn up my lawn.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Better than sex ? :eek: I need to find me some poison ivy.
I got sent home from school one time because I got it on my feet so bad I could not sit still. I took my shoes off and all my teacher saw was me making strange faces. :lmao2: She took me to the office and told the principal I was playing with myself in class.:thumbdown::lmao: When i showed him my feet he said " Good Lord!" and called my dad. You know, that teacher never did apologize to me. oh well.!!

Epson salt will help dry it up as well.
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqTHnpvO7dLQz1-imka66n8TJXK3Pe6rVFCw&usqp=CAU

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Just so you guys know, this is poison Sumac...https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkiBJA8zRn3lVmE5uzHEJgxXxTnqB_bYJcNA&usqp=CAU Its even more evil than the ivy's.

This is creeping Viriginia...https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShGb4mZ2hxsai_dgdjXw_lFY_zqGvbwSY4Ng&usqp=CAU 5 Leaves, looks like the Ivy and Oak but harmless. Just don't eat the berries it produces.

catiii

Reaction score
Last year, at the age of 56 was the first time in my life I'd ever been affected by poison ivy. I already have it again this year.
What a horrible mistake of nature. It's not bad enough that it itches like nothing I've ever felt before, but just when you think you know where on your body it is, it spreads to somewhere else entirely. Not only that, but it can pop up in a new place days after it initially manifested.
Then, to makes matters worse, you never know exactly when you contracted it, so you don't know where you got it, or how many things you've spread the oil to, and the oil can stay on objects for literally years, just waiting to get you again.
Any advice from anyone who's used to this plague and learned how to treat it?
NO ADVICE EXCEPT TO STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM CLEBURNE STATE PARK. POISON IVY ALL OVER AND HANGING FROM THE TREES SO IT DRIPS DOWN ON YOU. PLUS THE WIFI DON' WORK EXCEPT IN ONE SPOT, NOT NICE FOLKS IN THE OFFICE AND A ROCK CRUSHING PLANT RIGHT NEXT TO IT GOING 24/7 WITH DUST DRIFTING OVER THE PARK NOT TO MENTION THE NOISE FROM THE CRUSHER ALL NIGHT. THIS IS ONE PARK YOU GOTTA SKIP. IT'S PROB THE WORST IN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH BAD SPOTS AS WELL. LOWER CAMPING AREA IS NOTHING BUT A MUD FLAT WITH DUMPSTERS AND FLIES RIGHT BY YOUR CAR. ZERO CELL COVERAGE IF AN EMERGENCY HAPPENED. CAN'T SAY ENOUGH BAD THINGS ABOUT IT. MY HAM RADIO DON'T EVEN WORK THERE. OH AND DON'T *EVEN* TRY TO CHANGE SPOTS CUZ ONE DUDE THERE IS A REAL......WELL YOU KNOW.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Try colloidal oatmeal to stop the itch. Might work.

1. Poison Ivy doesn't spread. You have touched it again. Only way it can spread is if you spread the oils around, and that's before it ever starts itching. The fluid from the blisters does not spread. That is merely your body's reaction to the oils.
2. If you've suspected you've touched it, rinse rigorously immediately. Use whatever water you have. Enough water can get rid of the oils if it's immediate.

Love some of the remedies you guys have suggested. Stuff to try if it hits me again.

l often get it from weedeating. If you hit it w/ the weedeater, it splashes all over you.

nobody

Reaction score
Try colloidal oatmeal to stop the itch. Might work.

1. Poison Ivy doesn't spread. You have touched it again. Only way it can spread is if you spread the oils around, and that's before it ever starts itching. The fluid from the blisters does not spread. That is merely your body's reaction to the oils.
2. If you've suspected you've touched it, rinse rigorously immediately. Use whatever water you have. Enough water can get rid of the oils if it's immediate.

Love some of the remedies you guys have suggested. Stuff to try if it hits me again.

l often get it from weedeating. If you hit it w/ the weedeater, it splashes all over you.

You might try something like Ivy X or Ivy Block. You put it on before and it's supposed to prevent contact between your skin and the oils of Poisons Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. It's not really all that economical if you go out a lot to places that might contain ivy, but if you know you're going into an area with it, it should help.