Poison Ivy

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
NO ADVICE EXCEPT TO STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM CLEBURNE STATE PARK. POISON IVY ALL OVER AND HANGING FROM THE TREES SO IT DRIPS DOWN ON YOU. PLUS THE WIFI DON' WORK EXCEPT IN ONE SPOT, NOT NICE FOLKS IN THE OFFICE AND A ROCK CRUSHING PLANT RIGHT NEXT TO IT GOING 24/7 WITH DUST DRIFTING OVER THE PARK NOT TO MENTION THE NOISE FROM THE CRUSHER ALL NIGHT. THIS IS ONE PARK YOU GOTTA SKIP. IT'S PROB THE WORST IN THE ENTIRE SYSTEM WITH BAD SPOTS AS WELL. LOWER CAMPING AREA IS NOTHING BUT A MUD FLAT WITH DUMPSTERS AND FLIES RIGHT BY YOUR CAR. ZERO CELL COVERAGE IF AN EMERGENCY HAPPENED. CAN'T SAY ENOUGH BAD THINGS ABOUT IT. MY HAM RADIO DON'T EVEN WORK THERE. OH AND DON'T *EVEN* TRY TO CHANGE SPOTS CUZ ONE DUDE THERE IS A REAL......WELL YOU KNOW.
Okay, bad park! Thanks!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Try colloidal oatmeal to stop the itch. Might work.

1. Poison Ivy doesn't spread. You have touched it again. Only way it can spread is if you spread the oils around, and that's before it ever starts itching. The fluid from the blisters does not spread. That is merely your body's reaction to the oils.
2. If you've suspected you've touched it, rinse rigorously immediately. Use whatever water you have. Enough water can get rid of the oils if it's immediate.

Love some of the remedies you guys have suggested. Stuff to try if it hits me again.

l often get it from weedeating. If you hit it w/ the weedeater, it splashes all over you.
I was thinking about the weed whacker as the reason I had it all over my legs the first time. This time I only had a couple of small spots on my legs, and haven't used the weed whacker yet.

Creeper

Reaction score
Last year, at the age of 56 was the first time in my life I'd ever been affected by poison ivy. I already have it again this year.
What a horrible mistake of nature. It's not bad enough that it itches like nothing I've ever felt before, but just when you think you know where on your body it is, it spreads to somewhere else entirely. Not only that, but it can pop up in a new place days after it initially manifested.
Then, to makes matters worse, you never know exactly when you contracted it, so you don't know where you got it, or how many things you've spread the oil to, and the oil can stay on objects for literally years, just waiting to get you again.
Any advice from anyone who's used to this plague and learned how to treat it?

Interesting note about allergies, and Poison Ivy rash is actually an allergic reaction to the oil you mentioned. Allergies develop after the 1st contact with an allergen, but you won't normally have a reaction until the 2nd contact. Your first contact with poison ivy probably did not cause a rash. Antihistamines should help with the symptoms, like itching.

Also, some people develop allergies to certain things late in life. I was never allergic to shellfish until a couple of years ago. I made shrimp scampi and the next day my face blew up. I looked like Mr Potatohead. I had been eating shrimp my whole life now I have to worry about my face blowing up and my breathing tubes closing. Very weird.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I've never had poison ivy. I've worked a lot outside ,too, and hiked a lot, and I know at some point I've had to be in it.

My girlfriend can't even get near it. She reacted to it very badly once and it got in her eye, which was swelled shut for days. If it just barely scrapes her she breaks out everywhere. Unfortunately she's kind of a redneck, and won't stop getting in it. I don't know if she rolls around in the weeds for fun or what.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've never had poison ivy. I've worked a lot outside ,too, and hiked a lot, and I know at some point I've had to be in it.

My girlfriend can't even get near it. She reacted to it very badly once and it got in her eye, which was swelled shut for days. If it just barely scrapes her she breaks out everywhere. Unfortunately she's kind of a redneck, and won't stop getting in it. I don't know if she rolls around in the weeds for fun or what.
You think your girlfriend rolls around in the weeds w/o you?

kskboys

Reaction score
I was thinking about the weed whacker as the reason I had it all over my legs the first time. This time I only had a couple of small spots on my legs, and haven't used the weed whacker yet.
You prolly brushed against it somewhere unknowingly.

Poison ivy does not travel through the air.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You prolly brushed against it somewhere unknowingly.

Poison ivy does not travel through the air.
I'm aware of that. I figure I probably hit it with the weed whacker and sprayed it on my legs. But that was last year, before I even knew I had any on my property. I had walked in the woods on my brother's property a few days before I got it, and I know he has some there, so I had assumed that's where I got it then.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Be careful, Bluebs. I know I used to be immune to it, but at 56 years old, suddenly I started reacting to it...and it SUCKS!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting note about allergies, and Poison Ivy rash is actually an allergic reaction to the oil you mentioned. Allergies develop after the 1st contact with an allergen, but you won't normally have a reaction until the 2nd contact. Your first contact with poison ivy probably did not cause a rash. Antihistamines should help with the symptoms, like itching.

Also, some people develop allergies to certain things late in life. I was never allergic to shellfish until a couple of years ago. I made shrimp scampi and the next day my face blew up. I looked like Mr Potatohead. I had been eating shrimp my whole life now I have to worry about my face blowing up and my breathing tubes closing. Very weird.
I grew up on the edge of a state forest, and I've never lived where I was surrounded by woods. Last year wasn't the first or second time I've come in contact with it, just the first time it's affected me.