Polamalu gets into HOF after 5 year retirement; Cowboys Woodson still not in after 15 years

FanSince71

Reaction score
I don’t know man Roy Williams has some great years.

and I agree with you 100%, but I believe Roy Williams was allowed the freedom to be such a playmaker because of Woodson’s presence. Woody often gave Roy his keys and pre-snap reads and then covered the back end while Roy flew around and made plays... a lot of them.

All I’m saying is Roy Williams is probably not as dynamic and effective without #28.

p.s. if you haven’t seen the Deep Blue documentary about Roy Williams, it is fantastic.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
and I agree with you 100%, but I believe Roy Williams was allowed the freedom to be such a playmaker because of Woodson’s presence. Woody often gave Roy his keys and pre-snap reads and then covered the back end while Roy flew around and made plays... a lot of them.

All I’m saying is Roy Williams is probably not as dynamic and effective without #28.

p.s. if you haven’t seen the Deep Blue documentary about Roy Williams, it is fantastic.
You are right. If it wasn’t for Woodson I don’t think Roy plays as well as he did. I do agree there. But strictly on making plays? It was Roy but I do agree if it wasn’t for Woody there wouldn’t be a Roy. Not that good anyway.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another reason I don' pay attention to the HOF illusion. It is as rigged for the most part as some NFL games.
I agree with Deion, they are letting too many players in. It has become as commercialized as the NFL itself.

Used to be a player that deserved to get in got in. Now they seem to pick 5 or 6 players to get tin, because it creates viewers and commercial revenue.
Most these players 20 years ago would never or should never qualify. I will not and have not watched the HOF induction for years, unless there is a Dallas player going in. Then it is on mute until it is their time at the podium.

I have a few things I do not do with sports. One pay attention to the HOF until a few other Cowboys get in. Pearson, Woodson, a few others.
I have not spent money on Cowboys stuff until Garrett was gone, and after the Zeke BS. But now with MM on board I will probably buy a new hat.

I do not spend money on MLB either, not until Pete Rose is in the HOF while he is alive.
Which I did meet him in Vegas last week, sat and talked for about 15 minutes. He was great, laid back, very nice.

A man got to have standards...:muttley:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu just got inducted into the NFL Hall Of Fame after waiting the minimum requirement of 5 years after retirement. Cowboys Safety Darren Woodson has yet to be inducted after waiting for 15 years now after retirement.

How many Super Bowls did each win?

Polamalu: 2
Woodson: 3

What gives? Something is not right up in Canton, Ohio! :mad:

That's the only criteria they use? Lol. Since no one is going to do any kind of numbers comparison for obvious reasons, I'll drop them here.

Polamalu 158 Games, 32 INTs, 3 pick-6s, *107 Pass Defenses, 14 Forced Fumbles, 12 Sacks, 783 Combined Tackles
Woodson 178 Games, 23 INTs, 2 pick-6s, *PDs not kept bef. '99, 12 Forced Fumbles, 11 Sacks, 864 Combined Tackles
*Pass Defenses weren't kept before 1999. Woodson had 36 in his last 5 years (86 career if using that average)

By the numbers, Polamalu was more impactful in less amount of games. Even the old fan eye test could tell you that if people watched more than just Cowboys games. Most don't though. Probably the same folks who cry CONSPIRACY! and know nothing about the rules they're whining about.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That's the only criteria they use? Lol. Since no one is going to do any kind of numbers comparison for obvious reasons, I'll drop them here.

Polamalu 158 Games, 32 INTs, 3 pick-6s, *107 Pass Defenses, 14 Forced Fumbles, 12 Sacks, 783 Combined Tackles
Woodson 178 Games, 23 INTs, 2 pick-6s, *PDs not kept bef. '99, 12 Forced Fumbles, 11 Sacks, 864 Combined Tackles
*Pass Defenses weren't kept before 1999. Woodson had 36 in his last 5 years (86 career if using that average)

By the numbers, Polamalu was more impactful in less amount of games. Even the old fan eye test could tell you that if people watched more than just Cowboys games. Most don't though. Probably the same folks who cry CONSPIRACY! and know nothing about the rules they're whining about.

On the PDs front, ESPN says Polamalu had 110 and Woodson 95 for their careers. Not sure why pro football reference didn't tally them before '99

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Woodson 178 Games, 23 INTs, 2 pick-6s, *PDs not kept bef. '99, 12 Forced Fumbles, 11 Sacks, 967 Combined Tackles

For having such a big mouth, some are mighty ignorant. You say Polamalu was more impactful during 20 lesser games, yet Woodson had 184 more tackles (and that's not accurately including passes defensed which I'm sure were a lot more than the 86 career you are guesstimating for him). Tackling is the #1 impact when it comes to playing defense, and Woodson definitely had much more than Polamalu. Add in Woodson's passes defensed, which I'm sure were overall a lot more than Polamalu's career 107 since you only considered Woodson's last 5 years where he definitely would have been lesser due to age and wear-and-tear, Woodson's passes defensed would definitely have been much more than Polamalu's 107 since we all know Woodson was the better, bigger and faster Safety on the field when it came to coverage. That to me (more total tackling and coverage numbers) tells me Woodson was more impactful than Polamalu was.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu just got inducted into the NFL Hall Of Fame after waiting the minimum requirement of 5 years after retirement. Cowboys Safety Darren Woodson has yet to be inducted after waiting for 15 years now after retirement.

How many Super Bowls did each win?

Polamalu: 2
Woodson: 3

What gives? Something is not right up in Canton, Ohio! :mad:

Sorry, but Polamalu was a greater playmaker than Woodson.
Though many of us want Woody in, when he retired, many Cowboys fan knew it would be dicey if he made the Hall. I think most objective fans would acknowledge when Polamalu hung up his cleats, he was a surefire Hall of Famer.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

:clap:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lol, I believe Darren is HOF worthy but the homers acting like Polumalu getting in ahead of him is some slight are deranged.

Polumalu
158 games
32 INTs (3 TDs)
107 PDs
14 FFs (2 TDs on fumble returns)
12 sacks
56 TFL

Woodson
178 games
23 INTs (2 TDs)
36 PDs
12 FFs
11 sacks
26 TFL

It’s not even close.

Those bringing up Super Bowl wins are morons; the HOF is about individual achievement, not how many Super Bowl teams you’ve been on. I’d also say some of these same guys were trying to discount Eli Manning’s Super Bowl rings when talking about his HOF candidacy.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For having such a big mouth, some are mighty ignorant. You say Polamalu was more impactful during 20 lesser games, yet Woodson had 184 more tackles (and that's not accurately including passes defensed which I'm sure were a lot more than the 86 career you are guesstimating for him). Tackling is the #1 impact when it comes to playing defense, and Woodson definitely had much more than Polamalu. Add in Woodson's passes defensed, which I'm sure were overall a lot more than Polamalu's career 107 since you only considered Woodson's last 5 years where he definitely would have been lesser due to age and wear-and-tear, Woodson's passes defensed would definitely have been much more than Polamalu's 107 since we all know Woodson was the better, bigger and faster Safety on the field when it came to coverage. That to me (more total tackling and coverage numbers) tells me Woodson was more impactful than Polamalu was.

Looool, Polumalu has 107 PDs to Woody’s 36.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Another reason I don' pay attention to the HOF illusion. It is as rigged for the most part as some NFL games.
I agree with Deion, they are letting too many players in. It has become as commercialized as the NFL itself.

Used to be a player that deserved to get in got in. Now they seem to pick 5 or 6 players to get tin, because it creates viewers and commercial revenue.
Most these players 20 years ago would never or should never qualify. I will not and have not watched the HOF induction for years, unless there is a Dallas player going in. Then it is on mute until it is their time at the podium.

I have a few things I do not do with sports. One pay attention to the HOF until a few other Cowboys get in. Pearson, Woodson, a few others.
I have not spent money on Cowboys stuff until Garrett was gone, and after the Zeke BS. But now with MM on board I will probably buy a new hat.

I do not spend money on MLB either, not until Pete Rose is in the HOF while he is alive.
Which I did meet him in Vegas last week, sat and talked for about 15 minutes. He was great, laid back, very nice.

A man got to have standards...:muttley:

Love my Big Red Machine.