Poll puts Dak at 15 for QBs

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess that's why most teams passed on him 4 times during the draft. His passing ability has been in question.

When it comes to passing ability I have absolutely no idea how anyone could rank Hackenberg and Cook above Prescott... Absolutely none.

I think there was another reason why Prescott was passed 4 times by most teams.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The ongoing narrative about Dak by "them" is he's not that good. Just a product of a great situation--line, rb, etc.

I disagree just like I did about Tony can't win playoff, elimination, any game they deemed important etc.

black label

Reaction score
He's a top 20 guy, it's about right. He's not a top ten guy or a top 5 guy like Romo.
bingo.gif

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a valid point about Romo.

I'd take:

The guy in NE
The guy in Atlanta
Rodgers
Big Ben
Brees
Rivers

Ahead of Tony at this point.
Its not a valid point, but we can agree to disagree i suppose. One could easlily also put Stafford, Luck, and Carr above Romo as well.
We Cowboys fans want to think that he is still the Romo from 2-3 years ago.....but he is now a 37 year old Romo who hasnt played much/well for a few years and who seems to get hurt rather easily these days.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
We used to have Brady/Peyton/Brees/Rodgers at the top of the league (according to most lists). Hard to see the top 4 being nearly that strong in a few years. Rodgers will still be around but a lot of other QB talent will be dropping off soon. Being top 5, top 10, or whatever might not be as significant if the talent is clustered closer together.

starcity214

Reaction score
I said he was a fourth round talent, because he was relatively short and had a below average arm and speed... which bore out by him being taken in the fourth round. Please learn to read. I didn't say anything about his performance, which like most QBs, is highly linked to a ton of factors that vary from season to season.

Exactly... Some folks on here say Dak should already be inducted into the hall of fame because he had " the greatest rookie season ever "... funny if you ask me. Dak benefitted from being on a team with a loaded offense with the league's best running back and even then, Dak only took the "easy" high percentage throws ( thus having high completion percentage and a high QBR) . Put Dak on the Browns or Jags and we don't even know who Dak is... When your job is " Don't screw up and only throw It to the open guy" you will have a high completion percentage but low yards and touchdowns. in other words, Alex Smith 2.0. God forbid Zeke goes down, then we will see if Dak is truly GREAT. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are considered great because they give you a chance without the need of an elite RB or an elite defense. Dak is the type of player that needs a great team around him to thrive. He is a good player , don't get me wrong, but he isn't GREAT at this point in time. Now, if he improves his deep ball then he has a chance of becoming great. Defensive coordinators would do well to play tight man across the board and force Dak to beat them deep. With Dez and the body catcher , Dak will have to take a chance (something he doesn't like) because they get no separation. As you said , Dak is very limited and at this point, he is a glorified Alex smith.

waving monkey

Reaction score
He has below average height, arm strength and isn't even especially fast. He struggles to complete passes downfield or complete any pass really that isn't a straight line throw to a wide open player. He's pretty much the dictionary definition of a fourth round, average talent.
For a QB with average (at best) talent
this is where your blind or just hatin

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a QB with average (at best) talent
this is where your blind or just hatin

Correct.

Aptitude concerning the game isn't learned... You're either bright when understanding the game or you're not.

Same about the ability to remain "cool under fire". You either are or you aren't. It's not learned.

That being said both of those qualities are part of a player's talent-mix.

Dak's overall talent is certainly higher than average.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak had a better season than Alex Smith has ever had in his rookie season.

He topped Smith's career high in QB rating, yards, TDs, 300 yard games.

Do you have anything to support your contention that a rookie who beat Smith's career highs across the board is similar to him?

Of course he won't.

kevm3

Reaction score
Exactly... Some folks on here say Dak should already be inducted into the hall of fame because he had " the greatest rookie season ever "... funny if you ask me. Dak benefitted from being on a team with a loaded offense with the league's best running back and even then, Dak only took the "easy" high percentage throws ( thus having high completion percentage and a high QBR) . Put Dak on the Browns or Jags and we don't even know who Dak is... When your job is " Don't screw up and only throw It to the open guy" you will have a high completion percentage but low yards and touchdowns. in other words, Alex Smith 2.0. God forbid Zeke goes down, then we will see if Dak is truly GREAT. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers are considered great because they give you a chance without the need of an elite RB or an elite defense. Dak is the type of player that needs a great team around him to thrive. He is a good player , don't get me wrong, but he isn't GREAT at this point in time. Now, if he improves his deep ball then he has a chance of becoming great. Defensive coordinators would do well to play tight man across the board and force Dak to beat them deep. With Dez and the body catcher , Dak will have to take a chance (something he doesn't like) because they get no separation. As you said , Dak is very limited and at this point, he is a glorified Alex smith.

So why doesn't Romo get penalized for having essentially an equivalent team in 2014? Dak only played well because he had all of these offensive tools, but Romo had the exact same tools, and yet he's credited with carrying the team. Also, why couldn't 4 other qbs win a single game when they helmed the team? Sanchez didn't win a game. Kellen Moore didn't win a game. Brandon Weeden didn't win a game. Matt Cassell didn't win a game.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dak had a better season than Alex Smith has ever had in his rookie season.

He topped Smith's career high in QB rating, yards, TDs, 300 yard games.

Do you have anything to support your contention that a rookie who beat Smith's career highs across the board is similar to him?

What do glorified mean? Alex also has never had the supporting cast that Dak had last year (It was good in parts a couple of years in SF, but not as good).

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So why doesn't Romo get penalized for having essentially an equivalent team in 2014? Dak only played well because he had all of these offensive tools, but Romo had the exact same tools, and yet he's credited with carrying the team. Also, why couldn't 4 other qbs win a single game when they helmed the team? Sanchez didn't win a game. Kellen Moore didn't win a game. Brandon Weeden didn't win a game. Matt Cassell didn't win a game.

Romo didn't have Zeke (sorry Murray fans, Zeke is better). Romo wasn't credited with "carrying" the team. Defenses focused on Romo a lot more than they did Dak (they focused on Zeke). 2015 was not the same team as 2014 or 2016 (particularly the OL and RB), and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON HAS COMPARED DAK TO MOORE, WEEDEN, OR CASSELL. Sanchez? Really? Nobody has compared Dak to him either, but Sanchez had a lot of the B team out there in a meaningless game (that Dak wasn't that good in when he did play).

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Others who benifted with also a great OL, great RB, great wr/te, etc. Mr Aikman. If Dak is gonna get that critique so should Aikman by fans here.

kevm3

Reaction score
Romo didn't have Zeke (sorry Murray fans, Zeke is better). Romo wasn't credited with "carrying" the team. Defenses focused on Romo a lot more than they did Dak (they focused on Zeke). 2015 was not the same team as 2014 or 2016 (particularly the OL and RB), and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON HAS COMPARED DAK TO MOORE, WEEDEN, OR CASSELL. Sanchez? Really? Nobody has compared Dak to him either, but Sanchez had a lot of the B team out there in a meaningless game (that Dak wasn't that good in when he did play).

Murray rushed for over 200 more yards than Zeke and Romo's had a younger Jason Witten and a preinjury Dez Bryant in 2014.

The point of bringing up those other 4 qbs is that people act like the team is so unbelievably awesome because of the talent surrounding Dak, and yet 4 other qbs couldn't win a SINGLE game with that same talent. Our offense is stuffed with talent, but to act like Dak isn't a huge reason for this offense's success is being dishonest.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Myself also Russell Wilson. And myself Dak right now over mr injury waiting to happen next hit Romo.

If Dak can keep his passer rating above 90, and over the next 5 years you'll be seeing an exodus of the top QB's like Brady, Rivers, Eli, Ben, Brees and probably Rodgers.

Dak will end up being in the top-10 easy and possibly in the top 5.

At the moment I'd consider him in the low-teens.