Poll puts Dak at 15 for QBs

DFWJC

Reaction score
So why doesn't Romo get penalized for having essentially an equivalent team in 2014? Dak only played well because he had all of these offensive tools, but Romo had the exact same tools, and yet he's credited with carrying the team. Also, why couldn't 4 other qbs win a single game when they helmed the team? Sanchez didn't win a game. Kellen Moore didn't win a game. Brandon Weeden didn't win a game. Matt Cassell didn't win a game.
I think it fair to compare 2014 and 2016 rosters.

Some might say the 2016 defense was slightly better and that, as good as Murray was in 2014, Zeke was more explosive and demanded defenses to fear him more in 2016.

Splitting hairs though. Both 2014 and 2016 were comparable..at least on offense.

That 2015 QBing sucked, but they were at least somewhat handicapped with no Murray or Zeke...but not THAT much.:muttley:

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Can anyone point to an example of roster dissembling to diminish a QBs performance? I honestly can't remember it ever being so much as a point of contention, much less the prevailing narrative.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Murray rushed for over 200 more yards than Zeke and Romo's had a younger Jason Witten and a preinjury Dez Bryant in 2014.

The point of bringing up those other 4 qbs is that people act like the team is so unbelievably awesome because of the talent surrounding Dak, and yet 4 other qbs couldn't win a SINGLE game with that same talent. Our offense is stuffed with talent, but to act like Dak isn't a huge reason for this offense's success is being dishonest.

And every single person you claim acts like Dak wasn't a reason for the success will tell you that Dak is easily better than those other qbs, so it's a silly argument.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Honestly I think that is reasonable. Dak isn't this raw super talent. He's a hard worker that has made the most of a limited skill set.

He's better than someone with a "limited skill set". He went blow for blow with Rodgers last year and they just had the ball last.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
For a QB with average (at best) talent and one year of experience (experience is by far the most valuable trait for a QB) to be ranked in the top half of the league already seems like a good deal to me.

If you put age in the equation there probably aren't more than 5 you take over Dak right now. How many of those guys ranked above him likely only have a couple good years left? Brady, Brees, and Roethlisburger are at the end.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can anyone point to an example of roster dissembling to diminish a QBs performance? I honestly can't remember it ever being so much as a point of contention, much less the prevailing narrative.

For years Romo played with a porous line, a defense that demanded you score 30 points to win, and a marginal run game....yet when the team didn't make deep playoff runs it was his fault for the most part.
So for awhile it was the opposite.

At least by 2014, the run game and line were there. And the results reflected it.
Most people did take note that roster helped him greatly.
They are taking note of that now too with Dak.

In any case, both QBs deserve credit anyway

I do think people rightly gave a lot of credit Russell Wilsons roster when he came into the league....to answer you question

Cant ever rember a rookie having it better than both he and Big Ben had it, regarding overall roster.
Cant recall a rookie ever having it better than Dak...but only on offense.

plasticman

Reaction score
The primary goal of am quarterback is to lead the team to wins and nobody won more in 2016 than Dak Prescott. His QB rating ranks 3rd in the NFL but if you were to add in every QB's running achievements than Dak is clearly #2 or #3 in the league.

Forget the fact that he's a rookie, that is not how he is being compared nor should it. Forget about the quality of his teammates, he contributed to them looking good just as much as himself. This is about a toe to toe comparison of each quarterback's ability to win games.

Folks seem to forget that a quarterback's second season is typically far superior to his first, Dak isn't going to be a rookie again. He is a legitimate superstar. I hear all this nonsense about showing us another year...are you joking? The length of NFL seasons including preseason is three times longer than the seasons experienced by teams in the 60's.

Yet, Dak was consistently good throughout the season. It is ridiculous to suggest that Dak is going to experience some type of mental or physical regression. The NFL has seen nothing yet.

plasticman

Reaction score
For years Romo played with a porous line, a defense that demanded you score 30 points to win, and a marginal run game....yet when the team didn't make deep playoff runs it was his fault for the most part.
So for awhile it was the opposite.

At least by 2014, the run game and line were there. And the results reflected it.
Most people did take note that roster helped him greatly.
They are taking note of that now too with Dak.

In any case, both QBs deserve credit anyway

I do think people rightly gave a lot of credit Russell Wilsons roster when he came into the league....to answer you question

Cant ever rember a rookie having it better than both he and Big Ben had it, regarding overall roster.
Cant recall a rookie ever having it better than Dak...but only on offense.

Rookie Joe Ferguson was the starting quarterback for the Bills during the season that OJ and the Electric Company set a rushing record. He averaged 12 pass attempts a game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rookie Joe Ferguson was the starting quarterback for the Bills during the season that OJ and the Electric Company set a rushing record. He averaged 12 pass attempts a game.
Good one!
44 years ago there was something comparable

And Dak did a lot better than Joe

landroverking

Reaction score
Top 15 pretty good for a coming 2nd year QB.
Would have been surprised if he had cracked the top 10.
By years end I do believe he will be considered between 5&10.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak is a Pro Bowl QB which means he should comfortably be in top 10. They are obviously underrating him since he has only been in the league for 1 year. If Dak can repeat last year's awesome season he's top 5.

rynochop

Reaction score
Let's just hope he isn't a one year wonder which isn't unheard of in this league. I love Dak, but he got away with a lot of ints last year that will equal out.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I think it fair to compare 2014 and 2016 rosters.

Some might say the 2016 defense was slightly better and that, as good as Murray was in 2014, Zeke was more explosive and demanded defenses to fear him more in 2016.

Splitting hairs though. Both 2014 and 2016 were comparable..at least on offense.

That 2015 QBing sucked, but they were at least somewhat handicapped with no Murray or Zeke...but not THAT much.:muttley:
There was one common denominator in all of these yrs of frustration....Garrett.