Poll: Rank Staubach's, Aikman's & Romo's Pro Bowler Teammates Collective Talent

How would you rank each QB's teammates combined talent from best-to-good per 'best' Pro Bowl year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I’m looking at talent relative to the era of football each QB played in. Staubach & Aikman’s squads would wipe the floor with any New England Super Bowl team the last decade. Romo’s teams were full of talent during his “peak” and that ‘07 team was the best on paper that year. That’s why I say collectively, for the era vs other NFL teams Romo had more than the aforementioned QBs and failed miserably.
I was waiting for someone to mention this. Of course the teams from the 70's and 90's were better but what was the 2007 team compared to other teams that year? The NFL is so deluded anymore. No way the 2000's Patriots were as good as those 70's and 90's teams too.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So Haley joined a better team than Ware ever played on in Dallas?

This is like saying that the DeMarcus Ware that ended his days in Denver was better than the DeMarcus Ware that started his days in Dallas. It's just not even close to being true.
huh???? IM saying that Haley, by his presence alone in Dallas is why we won the SB in 92. No haley, I dont think we win that year. He was a beat pas rusher that simply took our defense to the next level.
IN is prime, Reggie White might have been the only pass rusher better than Haley when he was playing.

bodi

Reaction score
how could you forget Bob Lily

Cowboys' first-ever draft choice (1961), first Hall of Famer (1980) ... Foundation of great Dallas defensive units ... Had unusual speed, strength, intelligence, recovery ability ... All-NFL/NFC eight years ... Named to 11 Pro Bowls ... Played in five NFL/NFC title games, two Super Bowls ... Missed just one game in 14 years

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
how could you forget Chuck Lily

Cowboys' first-ever draft choice (1961), first Hall of Famer (1980) ... Foundation of great Dallas defensive units ... Had unusual speed, strength, intelligence, recovery ability ... All-NFL/NFC eight years ... Named to 11 Pro Bowls ... Played in five NFL/NFC title games, two Super Bowls ... Missed just one game in 14 years
I think you meant Bob Lily. lol

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m looking at talent relative to the era of football each QB played in. Staubach & Aikman’s squads would wipe the floor with any New England Super Bowl team the last decade. Romo’s teams were full of talent during his “peak” and that ‘07 team was the best on paper that year. That’s why I say collectively, for the era vs other NFL teams Romo had more than the aforementioned QBs and failed miserably.
Well, what you say is incorrect. Romo's teams were not even close to the Aik n Stau teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
The backups on Aikman's teams were better than the starters on Romo's team.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Using a Pro Bowl list is only part of the picture.

Just as important is the HC at his point in his career. The HC as an innovator of strategy and a leader of his ship.

Plus the real big unknown, the quality of the supporting cast. This is huge. The unsung heroes of the roster who do their jobs, and do it well so others who have physical talents can show it off, and get to the Pro Bowl.

Based on that:

Aikman teams of the early 90s had the embarassment of draft riches that was undeniable, and never to be repeated again in history, the fat wallet and can do attitude of a new gun slinging owner and a college HC who was to change the paradigm with how you dealt with younger talent.

Cowboys of Staubach had prime time players, a great supporting cast, Landry and his then innovative defence and a draft system that was head and shoulders above any other team in the league.

Romo entered the league as Dallas was trying to pull itself out of the desert. He had one good HC, but in his fading years, his roster talent was dubious at best. Outside of Ware and Witten no one will hit the HoF. The drafting was suspect, and the roster talent being passed over from Campo to Parcells, the change from 4-3 to 3-4 back to 4-3 was somewhat schizophrenic. Romo played during a time when the franchise was trying to find its identity, and Jerry was still trying to find his value and role within the football organization. This period of time is clearly last.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how could you forget Bob Lily

:facepalm:

All I can ask is that you re-read the thread title, opening post and poll question.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Using a Pro Bowl list is only part of the picture.

Just as important is the HC at his point in his career. The HC as an innovator of strategy and a leader of his ship.

Plus the real big unknown, the quality of the supporting cast. This is huge. The unsung heroes of the roster who do their jobs, and do it well so others who have physical talents can show it off, and get to the Pro Bowl.

Based on that:

Aikman teams of the early 90s had the embarassment of draft riches that was undeniable, and never to be repeated again in history, the fat wallet and can do attitude of a new gun slinging owner and a college HC who was to change the paradigm with how you dealt with younger talent.

Cowboys of Staubach had prime time players, a great supporting cast, Landry and his then innovative defence and a draft system that was head and shoulders above any other team in the league.

Romo entered the league as Dallas was trying to pull itself out of the desert. He had one good HC, but in his fading years, his roster talent was dubious at best. Outside of Ware and Witten no one will hit the HoF. The drafting was suspect, and the roster talent being passed over from Campo to Parcells, the change from 4-3 to 3-4 back to 4-3 was somewhat schizophrenic. Romo played during a time when the franchise was trying to find its identity, and Jerry was still trying to find his value and role within the football organization. This period of time is clearly last.
Excellent post. This post, in its entirety, should be consider by any member making the argument that Romo enjoyed a superior supporting cast in 2007, in comparison to Staubach or Aikman, simply because Dallas fielded twelve of his teammates who were selected to the Pro Bowl. That particular argument is completely not well-thought out.

Number1

Reaction score
It's Rodger

you need another team in the hunt, the '71 Cowboys, but then Rodger only had 7 pro bowlers that year not counting himself

Bob Lilly
John Niland
Rayfield Wright
Mel Renfro
Cornell Green
Ron Widby
Chuck Howley

BTW, Rodger lead the '71 NFL in passing but none of his 3 main targets, Hayes, Alworth, and Ditka made the PB. And despite leading the NFL in TDs Duane Thomas didn't either, but he was All Pro (also fans voted Duane MVP of SB VI , but Rodger was named MVP)

but forget the in Pro Bowl ... how about in the HoF? how about 9 of 'em on the '71 sqaud?

Forrest Gregg
Lance Alworth
Bob Lilly
Herb Adderley
Roger Staubach
Mike Ditka
Mel Renfro
Rayfield Wright
Bob Hayes

and another 4 (all on D) with way better credentials than most in the HoF

Cliff Harris
2× Super Bowl champion (VI, XII)
6× Pro Bowl (1974–1979)
5× All-Pro (1974–1978)
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

Chuck Howley
Super Bowl champion (VI)
Super Bowl MVP (V) the first defensive SB MVP and only SB MVP a loosing team
6× Pro Bowl (1965–1969, 1971)
5× All-Pro (1966–1970)

George Andre (once had 18.5 sacks in a 14 game season)
5× All-Pro (1965–1969)
5× Pro Bowl (1965–1969)
Pro Bowl Co-MVP (1969)
Super Bowl champion (VI)

Cornell Green (among the best DBs to ever play, and IMO the most intimidating)
Super Bowl champion (VI)
5× Pro Bowl (1965, 1966, 1967, 1971, 1972)
4× All-Pro (1965 -1968)
Dallas Cowboys 25th Anniversary Team
NFL All-Rookie Team (1962)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poll closes at 11:30 pm CDT.

Here is the current CowboysZone sampling opinion of each quarterback's Pro Bowl team combined votes in terms of 'best overall talent':

Tjy7M10.png

InTheZone

Reaction score
2007 team vastly overrated. Namely Roy Williams. Greg Ellis was the most unnatural 3-4 OLB I've ever seen and Ken Hamlin was a one year wonder. Adams and Gurode rotated holds with high mistimed snaps. They still should've won that game last game at least on Patrick Craytons end zone pass when he decided to walk as the ball goes over. All those teams with Romo were all about "who's going to make the big mistake this week". And also included a never ending rotation of cupcake or inexperienced coaches.

I wasn't around with Staubach, but seeing how the 90s team enforced a cap sooner than later if it was bound to happen I vote them.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Should be pointed out that if comparing to the others that the 2007 team really had 11 players (Greg and Roy were replacements), plus one was a kicker who wasn’t even close to being the best kicker in the league.
His first two years were spot on, then he got hurt and lost it. Basically if he lined up I thought we were good.

Rayman70

Reaction score
first..cant really rank them..they played in different era's..but since you are, I must point out you forgot Danny White. Danny appeared in like 3-4 NFC Championship games as a starter and DOES have a SB ring as a back up QB and was our punter. He is the forgotten one. LOVE ROMO..but I think I would rank him higher than him. Roger,Troy,White,ROMO. In that order.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Poll closes at 11:30 pm CDT.

Here is the current CowboysZone sampling opinion of each quarterback's Pro Bowl team combined votes in terms of 'best overall talent':

Tjy7M10.png
Was your poll based ONLY on those Pro Bowlers listed for each QB on their 1 particular career year, or was it based on all of the talent combined on each team?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
first..cant really rank them..they played in different era's..but since you are, I must point out you forgot Danny White. Danny appeared in like 3-4 NFC Championship games as a starter and DOES have a SB ring as a back up QB and was our punter. He is the forgotten one. LOVE ROMO..but I think I would rank him higher than him. Roger,Troy,White,ROMO. In that order.
You, among several other members, believe or imply I invented this idea. I did not. It was recently introduced into forum discussion that the 12 Pro Bowlers on the 2007 team provided Romo with an overall talent advantage over any team with pro bowlers fielded by either Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach. The conversation sub-topic appeared strongly held by a few members and it made me wonder if the same perspective was more widely considered as true.

I created the poll to sample how the membership as a whole evaluated the relative talent of each quarterback's pro bowl team talent in relation with their peers. 2007 was singled out by those who made the declaration, with the point-of-emphasis (often repeatedly) identified as the total number of pro bowlers. The seasons 1978, Roger Staubach's, and 1993, Troy Aikman's, were chosen with the closest matching criteria of an individual season fielding the largest number of pro bowlers per respective quarterback.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You, among several other members, believe or imply I invented this idea. I did not. It was recently introduced into forum discussion that the 12 Pro Bowlers on the 2007 team provided Romo with an overall talent advantage over any team with pro bowlers fielded by either Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach. The conversation sub-topic appeared strongly held by a few members and it made me wonder if the same perspective was more widely considered as true.

I created the poll to sample how the membership as a whole evaluated the relative talent of each quarterback's pro bowl team talent in relation with their peers. 2007 was singled out by those who made the declaration, with the point-of-emphasis (often repeatedly) identified as the total number of pro bowlers. The seasons 1978, Roger Staubach's, and 1993, Troy Aikman's, were chosen with the closest matching criteria of an individual season fielding the largest number of pro bowlers per respective quarterback.
lol..chill..I'm not makin a fuss. Can't speak on everyones behalf, but I'm not getting my panties in a wad over this one bit. Its all good.