Poll: What do you do with Dak if you're the GM of the Cowboys?

Poll: What road do you prefer for Dak's future with the Cowboys?

• Extend

• Post June 1st cut.

• Let him play out his last year of his contract to prove it or lose it..

Results are only viewable after voting.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are all pretty much aware by now of what choices the F/O has concerning the upcoming deadline of March 13th for Dak's possible extension.
You're the GM what would your choice be?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The obvious answer is to extend it your purpose is to lower the cap hit. I am not talking about what we as fans who want to move on or explore other options want, but what SJ and JJ desire. But if we’re up to me I’d have him play out his current deal and go from there.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Time to cut bait. We've seen his ceiling. Best year just happened to coincide with playing the weakest pass defense schedule in the league. Repeatedly looks lost and in a panic against upper tier defenses, you know, the ones you see in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what you surround him with. He's going to torpedo the team in the playoffs, because dumbed down offenses only work against dumb defenses, and a 1 read qb that stares down his receivers with big googly eyes and covered in flop-sweat is not going to cut it against the big boys.

Big_D

Reaction score
Gone after this year and start a real search for a QB. No way should he be extended but as usual this team made terrible decisions leading up to this and screwed themselves.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
When you make a boneheaded mistake, you don't double down on that mistake. You accept how stupid you were and eliminate it as fast as you can. Not let it hang around three or five years. Another waste of even more time in this 30 year rebuilding phase.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
I prefer to let Dak play out his contract. Knowing that he will be a FA after this season may motivate him to play at the top of his game in order to maximize his next contract, regardless if it's the Cowboys or another team. And if he gets us to the NFC championship or even the Super Bowl - great. I also considered the fact that we also have a lame duck HC in McCarthy. Will he want to hitch his wagon and future with the team on a rookie QB? I am also not overly enamored with this year's crop of QBs. I don't see any Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, or Joe Burrow in this class. Not to mention that we don't have much draft capital to move up to get any of the top few guys, unless we mortgage the farm with future year 1st and/or 2nd round picks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Unless Dak is willing to take a team friendly extension, you let him play out his contract. With the rise in the salary cap his cap hit is not even close to what Green Bay or Denver have in dead money.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I prefer to let Dak play out his contract. Knowing that he will be a FA after this season may motivate him to play at the top of his game in order to maximize his next contract, regardless if it's the Cowboys or another team. And if he gets us to the NFC championship or even the Super Bowl - great. I also considered the fact that we also have a lame duck HC in McCarthy. Will he want to hitch his wagon and future with the team on a rookie QB? I am also not overly enamored with this year's crop of QBs. I don't see any Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, or Joe Burrow in this class. Not to mention that we don't have much draft capital to move up to get any of the top few guys, unless we mortgage the farm with future year 1st and/or 2nd round picks.
That makes a lot of sense. When they decided to not fire Big Mike, you knew Dak was going to be the QB next year, at least. You don't have a coach on the last year of his contract, on a prove it year and then ask him to break in a new QB and teach him his system in that lame duck year - that just wouldn't be fair to him. The only chance he has to have a good year and get a new contract to remain Head Coach is with Dak. If you decide to move on from Dak and cut him and go with Lance or whomever else- then you would fire Big Mike and start with a new coach and system too.