Poll: What do you do with Dak if you're the GM of the Cowboys?

Poll: What road do you prefer for Dak's future with the Cowboys?

• Extend

• Post June 1st cut.

• Let him play out his last year of his contract to prove it or lose it..

Results are only viewable after voting.

starfan1

Reaction score
I agree, but look what @PAPPYDOG 's done, there's nearly an agreement with @Ranching . .
Yea, not full agreement, but some form of acknowledgement that we can't have another negotiation like last time
unfortunately i was fumbling through FB yesterday and thought i seen dak talk about deserving to be highest paid player. I didnt pay close attention so it could have been an old article that was reposted but if not it does appear hes going to play a little hardball and while he isnt the sole reasob for our failures hes contributed to it and he should be more flexible.

He deserves to be paid he played at an MVP level and was a top 5 QB pretty much all season long . But him knowing that we are a defecient roster ought to be flexible enough to enable the cowboys to fill some of their needs in FA period beyond just signing their own.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
unfortunately i was fumbling through FB yesterday and thought i seen dak talk about deserving to be highest paid player. I didnt pay close attention so it could have been an old article that was reposted but if not it does appear hes going to play a little hardball and while he isnt the sole reasob for our failures hes contributed to it and he should be more flexible.

He deserves to be paid he played at an MVP level and was a top 5 QB pretty much all season long . But him knowing that we are a defecient roster ought to be flexible enough to enable the cowboys to fill some of their needs in FA period beyond just signing their own.
428696695_7513275735361788_7651796222761969656_n.jpg

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys have 2 major problems which prevent them from winning the SB, essentially/
One, the defense can't stop the run.
Two, Dak can't handle the playoff pressure against a good team.

So, what to do this year?

Sign a free agent and draft some run defenders - a bona fide run stopping DT and a power MLB like LVE. That should help the run defense.
Now regardless of the opinion of some here, Dak is a very good quarterback. Not elite (whatever you want to define that as), but no NFL quarterback that "sucks" or is "horrible" wins 12 games 3 years in a row, the NFL overall is not a weak league. We see every year teams with poor records beat teams with very good records. The 2-15 Panthers beat the 10-7 Texans, i.e.

Don't want to extend Dak, it's time for him to go. But if you cut him, you're going to waste players like Lamb, in the prime of their career playing under so-so Rush or some rookie (yes, I know some rookies play very well but drafting at 24th or even slightly above that you're not getting a Stroud or similar).

Play Dak, try to fix the defense, and make a push for the SB. Works, great, if not, then start the rebuild. Trade Lamb, Parsons or whoever and draft high next year and start the rebuild....

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
don't see any dak on this list. I thought you lovers said he was the best. hum

429993465_917756043691077_5394912338708028600_n.jpg

starfan1

Reaction score
I think dak has some schizophrenia or delusion if he thinks the rings are the only thing that separates them. I believe Patricks team is so much much better from top to bottom so thats part of why they have the rings.Better GM, owner,Coach ,roster and the QB is the second best ever. Dak isnt even in the same stratosphere as Patrick but not many are

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
don't see any dak on this list. I thought you lovers said he was the best. hum

429993465_917756043691077_5394912338708028600_n.jpg
Qb ratings are no doubt useful. But I note 6 of the above 10 never won a SB. Brees is on the list twice and won only 1 SB. (Not that I would love to have one SB win in the last 10 years). Lamar's playoff record is even worse than Daks, .250 vs. .287 win rate.

And few here have said Dak is "the best", I've consistently said he's above average to very good, far from "the best".

But I get your point....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So this is like GM for a day ??
The cowboys have many issues, and you cant solve them all by just getting rid of dak.
They needed a new HC like BB and then let him decide on dak and all other issues.
They chose not to do that , so now it doesnt matter what they do.
This... it doesn't really matter if Jerry and son are still the ones making the decision...get a HC/GM give him a time frame to reach the goal and then get him the players he wants..THEN and this is gonna be the shocker..hold them all accountable for the performance...No plan with no accountability will = the same results your just changing the names of the lab rats...

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Trading him is the best thing, but he has to agree to it. What if he doesnt agree?
He runs the gauntlet of possibly getting post-June'd and hoping that the team of his choice will make up the lost 2024 salary.
There should be enough interest in him (as a FA) that would make the 'best fit' Falcons actually make a trade.
Problem is that with the Jones' it could be another Coop scenario in that we'd need to create a (two team) market (to up the price), but leaves us in an exposed position where teams know our intention.
We could restructure salary (adding a Void year), and creating giving Dak a scenario that if he doesn't come to the tablewith in good faith (reasonable negotiating position) he faces the option of playing with a threadbare roster in what would be his contract year or accept a trade if he doesn't like the option.
.....just musing as this won't happen, as Jones isn't savvy or tough enough to play hardball, he'll probably capitulate.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
8 years isn’t enough for 31 posters.

They apparently need a decade before they can judge a QB.
As noted before, the longest any qb has gone as a starter without a SB appearance was 9 years, by Ken Anderson. So Dak's about to match that record if he doesn't make it this year. Don't want to reset the record at 10 years, this should be his last hurrah (or thud is more likely) ...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
He runs the gauntlet of possibly getting post-June'd and hoping that the team of his choice will make up the lost 2024 salary.
There should be enough interest in him (as a FA) that would make the 'best fit' Falcons actually make a trade.
Problem is that with the Jones' it could be another Coop scenario in that we'd need to create a (two team) market (to up the price), but leaves us in an exposed position where teams know our intention.
We could restructure salary (adding a Void year), and creating giving Dak a scenario that if he doesn't come to the tablewith in good faith (reasonable negotiating position) he faces the option of playing with a threadbare roster in what would be his contract year or accept a trade if he doesn't like the option.
.....just musing as this won't happen, as Jones isn't savvy or tough enough to play hardball, he'll probably capitulate.
The reason he wont take a trade is because this option would be better for him...again like Dak dont like Dak as a fan thats fine..he would bring big money in FA..its just a fact..He will take Jerry's money then get to have teams bid on him and we get a cap hit...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Someone needs to tell him.....
"Dak, without a running game option and a Defense unability to stop the run game, teams will take a lead and we'll lose (especially against play-off teams).... yes its not your fault, BUT IN THOSE SCENARIO's YOU DO TEND TO REALLY STRUGGLE'

Creeper

Reaction score
The last option is really the same as the 2nd option. If you let him play out the last year of his contract at his current CAP number, it severely hampers the team's ability to sign players to put a good team behind Dak. Then when the Cowboys have a bad season you blame Dak? Dak is going into his 9th year, if he has to "prove it", then you may as well just cut him, take the down years and move on.

Let me pose a hypothetical. Let's say they do not extend Dak in 2024. They take his $60 MM CAP hit, do the best they can resigning some players and sit tight in free agency because they have no CAP room. What kind of defense do they have? So they play out the regular season with a lesser team than 2023 and they go 9-8 because they still can't run the football or stop the run. They don't make the playoffs so Dak has no chance to prove himself there. Do you let him walk in 2025? Seems to me you just wasted another year doing this.

I am against a post-June 1 cut. This does nothing for the Cowboys. They don't get the CAP save until after June 1, long after free agency is over. Having $34 million in CAP space to sign everyone else's cast offs is pointless. If you are going to move on from Dak, the move on, Begin the rebuild. A post-June 1 cut also put $36 million in dead money into 2025. They already have money in voided years for Zack Martin and DLaw so they would be looking at a lot of dead money in 2025. If the plan is to move on from Dak, the bite the bullet and take his entire CAP number in 2024.

I still think there is only 1 real option with Dak and that is to extend him. If you don't then next year he comes back to the table and he plays hard ball. Perhaps if you tell Dak he is going to get cut if he does not accept a trade, he would be willing to waive the no trade clause, but I doubt it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
As noted before, the longest any qb has gone as a starter without a SB appearance was 9 years, by Ken Anderson. So Dak's about to match that record if he doesn't make it this year. Don't want to reset the record at 10 years, this should be his last hurrah (or thud is more likely) ...
Spolier alert:

Dak won’t ever sniff a Super Bowl.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The reason he wont take a trade is because this option would be better for him...again like Dak dont like Dak as a fan thats fine..he would bring big money in FA..its just a fact..He will take Jerry's money then get to have teams bid on him and we get a cap hit...
I sort of agree....Dak hitting the open market would be a very good thing for him, however it might not be a great thing for him this season. If he's a post June 1 cut are teams going to have the cap space for him in 2024? I'm sure some team would be motivated to make it work, but there wouldn't be nearly as many teams in the running that late in the offseason. From that standpoint there might be some motivation to accept a trade a small group of teams he would approve.