Signed by Cowboys Pollard signs franchise tag

Plankton

Reaction score
With how the running back market has played out, Pollard did the smart thing and locked that money in now. If they rescinded the tag, he wouldn't come close to getting 10M this year. Once again, this front office cannot read the market when it comes to the running back position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, smart. The Cowboys could have pulled the tag now and Pollard would be in a real bad place.

Word is he had to be helped to the table to sign in significant discomfort.

That and they turned one of Zeke's helmets into a jacuzzi for the players.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
As reluctant as I am to get into another high priced deal with a RB, considering it’s one year and Pollard will get the lion’s share of touches I’m getting a little stoked to see what our offense will look like

lkelly

Reaction score
They should offer him this in negotiations:

Reasonable deal for 3 years with no more than $15M total guaranteed, knowing they have already stuck themselves for $10M. Dallas will sign/draft another back to platoon.

or....

Play on the franchise tag and be prepared for 350+ touches and you can become a free agent next in full worn down DeMarco Murray condition.

Havic

Reaction score
Feel like pollard had leverage here and the tag would have not been rescinded. We can’t roll into the season with Ronald, Rico, and Malik. Also would have forced our hand to take a rb high which I hope we do not do

dckid

Reaction score
With how the running back market has played out, Pollard did the smart thing and locked that money in now. If they rescinded the tag, he wouldn't come close to getting 10M this year. Once again, this front office cannot read the market when it comes to the running back position.
Look at the contract other players signed. Our biggest problem is falling in love with our players.
If Austin Ekeler is having a tough time getting a long term contract, you think sometime will pay Pollard?

We could have signed Penny, Jeff Wilson, Moestert for less than 8 million. There are more talented RB's now than ever just the value of the position is diminshed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They should offer him this in negotiations:

Reasonable deal for 3 years with no more than $15M total guaranteed, knowing they have already stuck themselves for $10M. Dallas will sign/draft another back to platoon.

or....

Play on the franchise tag and be prepared for 350+ touches and you can become a free agent next in full worn down DeMarco Murray condition.
Not opposed to that strategy, but if that's the stance the Cowboys are taking be prepared to just let him walk after the season. If I'm getting $10M on the tag vs 3 years w/ only 15 guaranteed no way do I take that multi year offer. Even next season if he ended up with a David Montgomery type of contract (3 year/$18, 11M guaranteed) which seems like a worst case scenario for Pollard he is going to come out ahead overall.

I'm a fan of giving Pollard the franchise tag, the issue becomes it's too much guaranteed money for him to really be serious about a long term deal, and it would be foolish for the Cowboys to bid against the tag in this scenario and seeing what the RB market is like this offseason.

The Pollard situation feels very similar to the Dalton Schultz situation from a year ago.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Misread the running back market for sure…which sucks but overall I can’t be too upset about it. We overpay pollard by 2-3 million for a year and hopefully we move on next year after we require his replacement via the draft.

They’ve made some good moves this offseason so for me this mistake is easier to swallow but it would be nice if they could figure out how to read the rb market.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Smart move by Pollard dumb FO move. They should do a better job predicting the market. However if he signs a team friendly deal it could work out. Pollard saw the market . All the draft a RB talk and limped all the way to the table to sign quick fast in a hurry. Business decision

aikemirv

Reaction score
What's the market then? - the top 3 in FA got the franchise tag. Sanders and Montgomery got 6 mill per year. Jacobs and Barkely may be a bit ahead of Pollard but not much in value to the team. So, it's in my guess 3 yrs for 24-25 million for Pollard or give him the tag. Maybe he declined that. Big difference from salary cap perspective but I am not sure its a big difference long term.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Yeah, smart. The Cowboys could have pulled the tag now and Pollard would be in a real bad place.

Word is he had to be helped to the table to sign in significant discomfort.

That and they turned one of Zeke's helmets into a jacuzzi for the players.
Jacuzzi?

They must have blocked off most of it for a swimming pool.

Last edited: