Signed by Cowboys Pollard signs franchise tag

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With how the running back market has played out, Pollard did the smart thing and locked that money in now. If they rescinded the tag, he wouldn't come close to getting 10M this year. Once again, this front office cannot read the market when it comes to the running back position.
i would have signed a cheaper veteran and drafted a back

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I have no problem with it. 1 year for Pollard to show himself as a starting RB. If he fails then Cowboys move on. So far Pollard has shown himself as a playmaker on this team
If he can continue to handle 200 Carrie’s and add 80 receptions that’s all we need him to do. We need another good back from the draft. 2 would be preferable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not opposed to that strategy, but if that's the stance the Cowboys are taking be prepared to just let him walk after the season. If I'm getting $10M on the tag vs 3 years w/ only 15 guaranteed no way do I take that multi year offer. Even next season if he ended up with a David Montgomery type of contract (3 year/$18, 11M guaranteed) which seems like a worst case scenario for Pollard he is going to come out ahead overall.

I'm a fan of giving Pollard the franchise tag, the issue becomes it's too much guaranteed money for him to really be serious about a long term deal, and it would be foolish for the Cowboys to bid against the tag in this scenario and seeing what the RB market is like this offseason.

The Pollard situation feels very similar to the Dalton Schultz situation from a year ago.
Similar in that we've got nothing behind him, but different in that Pollard is better player and much more important to the team

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he can continue to handle 200 Carrie’s and add 80 receptions that’s all we need him to do. We need another good back from the draft. 2 would be preferable.
80 receptions? I can see 200 carries easily. He had 193 last season, and 39 receptions. And 39 in 2021 as well. But 80 is pushing it.

If MM really wants to run the ball more, then will his receptions go down? If his total plays stay about the same. However most been saying use him more in the passing game, get him in the open field. At least I have said that the past 3 years.

Need another RB for sure no matter what.

T-RO

Reaction score
I do want to applaud the OP, Risen, for his copy-and-paste skills, forwarding this information as he repeatedly does with great sacrifice.

Wish I could find such a dutiful intern, content with a little superficial affirmation.

Last edited: