Pollard

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow, either LBs have no chance to cover Pollard or there is something wrong with Jaylon.

Sidenote: If somebody sees this play and focuses on the throw then they might be clueless. Missed throws happen in practice but it looks like Pollard can beat defenders off the line with ease repeatedly. That should be exciting to Cowboys fans.

Doesnt surprise me. Pollard has the pure speed and burst of an outside WR. On that type of route thats a major mismatch. Jaylon really has very little chance.

Im just hoping these are the types of mismatches we are able to create

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is the second play (that I know of) that in individual drills, they have Pollard go in motion to line up wide. I don't know how typical that is but Voch made a point of it the other day and said he'd never seen that before, and here we are with a second one in the same week. Maybe I wasn't too off base with them going with 20 personnel and sometimes moving Pollard to an wr spot?
I think that has always been the plan with Pollard. He played alot wide in college

Mr_437

Reaction score
Memphis liked it when Pollard was covered by a CB. They would run the ball with Henderson with Pollard as a blocker would run over the CB. If the defense put a LB on him then Memphis would throw it to Pollard.
Yeah, was hoping Moore would implement some of those concepts. If Pollard starts making plays NFL CBs will eventually be assigned to him...Pollard needs to be able to win some, that's why I would line him up vs CBs in 1-on-1s. Pollard should rotating time w/ Brown n Sanjay learning from both.

Anybody know if #36 is catching punts in practice?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Pollard seemed sloppy in that run , he looked faster than Jaylon ; but his mechanics (feet & Body) look struggled .
He also looks back too fast, limiting his distance .

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
A WR is usually faster than a LB .

WR aren't hitters, don't need that much weight .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, was hoping Moore would implement some of those concepts. If Pollard starts making plays NFL CBs will eventually be assigned to him...Pollard needs to be able to win some, that's why I would line him up vs CBs in 1-on-1s. Pollard should rotating time w/ Brown n Sanjay learning from both.

Anybody know if #36 is catching punts in practice?

The Cowboys played Dime with Lewis covering Kamara. Lewis only played 8 snaps on defense but they were key snaps.

One of the side benefits to Richard's preference for big CBs is that it gives them more size against the run. The Nickel CB by position on the field is often right at the point of attack vs the run.

Anthony Brown showed some oddly freakish ability to take on blocks from OL and TEs last year. There were a couple of plays were he got perfect leverage with extended arms and pushed an OL backwards by 2 or 3 yards. It seemed to defy physics but I saw it on at least 2 occasions.

I digress. Back to Pollard, I think Kellen Moore wants to use him such that whatever the defense does it will be wrong. Pollard vs CB and they run with Pollard blocking or motion him into to the backfield to take a handoff. Pollard vs LB and they throw it to him.

I expect plays to have options based on those types of matchups and they either audible or use RPOs where part of the offense is executing a running play but a couple of the receiving options are executing a pass play. The QB passes or hands off based on the defensive alignment. A versatile runner/receiver/blocker gives the OC many options.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Are you serious? Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning or freaking Pat Mahommes never missed a throw like that? Of course they have. Give Dak a chance for christs sake! He has the added weapon in his legs and he has proven that he is clutch and a great leader. Why can't anyone see that?
Because he overthrows a sure TD every single game - some games 2 or 3. He missed Gallup twice in one game IIRC. He’ll have more missed throws this season than Baker Mayfield will.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with Jaylon... Pollard is fast.

yeah...but you can't tell me that video isn't making the rounds tonight in the NFL. I've been saying it for 2 years now...playing Jaylon in the middle is gonna get him exposed in coverage...just like that. Teams isiolate him 1 on 1 w/ a RB...then it's a foot race....that he isn't gonna win very often. Where he went wrong?...he didn't re-route Pollard @ all. Hopefully he learned something today...he's gotta make that jam...or he is toast. :rolleyes:

unreeaal

Reaction score
I was at camp today and when that play happened both my son and my jaws dropped when we saw him pulling away from jaylon. Our mouths quickly closed when we saw the 8 yard overthrow. I guess id rather him overthrow than underthrow but...

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Made Jaylon look like he was still having trouble with that leg

That’s not fair. Any receiver in the NFL can make almost any defender look bad one on one. That wouldn’t happen in a real game, he’d have over the top help.