Pollard's Injury

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We have hundreds of fibula fractures and hundreds of ankle sprains to show that this is not a major injury going into the offseason. If this were week 9 yeah you should panic. Dak had a fracture that literally popped the bone through the skin. Gallup had an ACL injury which we also see a history of guys taking a year to fully recover.

I believe the cowboys medical staff on this one because we have both data and anecdotal evidence that suggests pollard will be 100% week 1
It was a freakish injury. His foot was pointing backwards. (Daks was more to the side.)

The 4.4x speed he had is likely gone.

They are never the same.

PIC LEG BREAK

stinkface

Reaction score
I broke my fibula playing Vollyball when I was 28. Was back playing Vollyball a month later. It's less then recovering from a broken Clavicle (which I also broke playing football) by far. His is not a major injury. A torn ACL is a much bigger deal.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It was a freakish injury. His foot was pointing backwards. (Daks was more to the side.)

They are never the same.

PIC LEG BREAK
Dak literally had a bone break through the skin. Pollard had a fractured fibula which he got assistance, but was still able to put some weight on that foot and got to the sideline without a cart. A simple bone fracture tends to heal quick, easy, and without many long term complications.

The ankle sprain is certainly a more serious sprain, but we see RBs go through this all the time. CMC had a grade 3 sprain in 2020 and he’s still considered one of the best backs in the league.

“They are never the same” is completely false. Maybe the injury is worse than we know but this is one where the optics of the injury seems worse than the actual injury itself.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Ignoring the injury, Pollard is at an age when many RB's have a drop-off anyway. Look at Zeke in years 5+. True, Pollard has fewer carries than he might have up until now. But combine his age with the fact that he's a speed pack coming off a significant injury, and you better be concerned.

Dallas has handled this correctly by covering their bases with a vet, and certainly will draft a RB too.
Even on College He wasn't used that much as a RB . . . There's still a Ton of wear on those Tires

Hadenough

Reaction score
Pollard may take time to get back to normal but no worries. We got Malik Davis and Rico Dowdle. Both very solid RBs that haven't been given much of an opportunity because of a very selfish Zeke.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Dak literally had a bone break through the skin. Pollard had a fractured fibula which he got assistance, but was still able to put some weight on that foot and got to the sideline without a cart. A simple bone fracture tends to heal quick, easy, and without many long term complications.

The ankle sprain is certainly a more serious sprain, but we see RBs go through this all the time. CMC had a grade 3 sprain in 2020 and he’s still considered one of the best backs in the league.

“They are never the same” is completely false. Maybe the injury is worse than we know but this is one where the optics of the injury seems worse than the actual injury itself.
Didn’t McCaffery have two different ankle sprains?

One cost him a half dozen games and the other put him on IR for a bunch of games?

He was ok *last* year but the previous two years he played 10 games total, all due to ankle sprains.

Sounds like we should prepare for all eventualities.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

They carried him.

PIC Tony carried off the field

DanA

Reaction score

They are never the same.

PIC LEG BREAK

That’s a bit of an overreaction. It’s a high ankle sprain and fractured fibula, there used to be a problem with this type of surgery as the screw/s were quite large and stiff but that changed in the late 00’s with the tight rope surgery which holds the tibia in place but isn't rigid allowing more flexibility in the joint during recovery.

Long story short, he will make a full recovery in 3 months and 2-3 months of ramping things up following that he will be near 100%.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Can this team really trust a guy who had his leg broken for him during the second quarter of the last game of the year?

Dak broke his ankle and it took two off seasons and a full season before he was steady enough to now worry about the ankle.

What makes anyone think you can just plug in Pollard and things will be okay?

And on top of that, he's been tagged and paid a premium price to rehab with nothing guaranteed next season. And sitting behind him on the depth chart are just guys.
Because it is a bone not ligaments. Yes high ankle sprain but outside of that it was bone. No reason to think Pollard will not be back 100% and scheduled to return well before camp starts up

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
He didn’t “break his leg”.

If this is your “expert analysis” of this situation, please just confirm so I can put you on ignore.
Thought he had a fracture as well as ankle sprain

exciter

Reaction score
It appears we are. I can't imagine any player who would trade a broken bone for an ACL tear
Depends on the bone. I’ll take a broken fibula over a torn ACL or Achilles every day of the week. Like I said I did a spiral snap of my tibia and fibula and had plates and pin’s inserted, spent 7 1/2 months waiting for bone to heal and physical therapy starting at 3 1/2 in, to 10 months after initial break and I’d still rather do that than an ACL. I want absolutely nothing to do with an ACL surgery!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Didn’t McCaffery have two different ankle sprains?

One cost him a half dozen games and the other put him on IR for a bunch of games?

He was ok *last* year but the previous two years he played 10 games total, all due to ankle sprains.

Sounds like we should prepare for all eventualities.
Dude was a walking injury for a couple years. One area I am not knowledgeable at all with these injuries is if one increases the chance of another, and that could be a really good argument to be cautious on Pollard if the data is there. Looking at CMC's history he had two ankle sprains, but one was his left the other his right so there really isn't any correlation there.

Ultimately though CMC spent a ton of time on the IR, however when he did play he was still effective. I don't get the doom and gloom crowd that believes Pollard is shot because of this injury, almost all of the data suggests otherwise.

If this injury happened mid season i would be more concerned. The fact that this happened in the final game and he has an entire offseason to recover (with an estimated 3 month timetable) tells me that the level of concern for Pollard should be pretty minimal.

DateLeagueInjuryDetails
Oct 8, 2016Non-NFLInguinal Hip PullMcCaffrey missed 1 game (vs. Notre Dame).
Sep 20, 2020NFLPedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3McCaffrey suffered a right high-ankle sprain during Week 2's loss to the Buccaneers and missed six games
Nov 8, 2020NFLShoulder A/C Joint SprainMcCaffrey injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9's loss to the Chiefs. He missed 4 games
Dec 9, 2020NFLThigh Glute StrainMcCaffrey's thigh tightened up ahead of Week 14 game. He missed 4 games due to that injury.
Sep 23, 2021NFLThigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2McCaffrey suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3's Panthers win over the Texans. He missed five games.
Nov 28, 2021NFLPedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2McCaffrey rolled his left ankle in Week 12's loss to the Dolphins. He was placed on injured reserve Monday and has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Can this team really trust a guy who had his leg broken for him during the second quarter of the last game of the year?

Dak broke his ankle and it took two off seasons and a full season before he was steady enough to now worry about the ankle.

What makes anyone think you can just plug in Pollard and things will be okay?

And on top of that, he's been tagged and paid a premium price to rehab with nothing guaranteed next season. And sitting behind him on the depth chart are just guys.
Pollard and Dak's injuries are not the same.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on the bone. I’ll take a broken fibula over a torn ACL or Achilles every day of the week. Like I said I did a spiral snap of my tibia and fibula and had plates and pin’s inserted, spent 7 1/2 months waiting for bone to heal and physical therapy starting at 3 1/2 in, to 10 months after initial break and I’d still rather do that than an ACL. I want absolutely nothing to do with an ACL surgery!
I had acl way back in 1995-ish. Played basketball, mountain bike racing, water skiing. I'm pretty sure things have gotten even better since then.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard and Dak's injuries are not the same.
Again...that's not really the point. It was a significant injury that people have some concern about. Rightly so. Let's hope for a full recovery. Everyone likes him...and now is his rightful time.