TRADED Porter traded to Cowboys (2027/6th round, 2028/2nd round)

I’m indifferent. I mean a good player is a good player so definitely can’t hurt to have. But the dline has to be better. They have some guys there they just gotta quit sucking lol
 
Am I wrong in assuming this is a very little cost to us?

Like if it doesn't work out, he's a FA next year, we only give up a 6th. And then when 2028 rolls around, we get probably a 3rd rd comp that helps offset the 2nd rounder lost... so again, not much drop off.

And if it DOES work out, and we keep him, then that's great.
 
No. It’s really a 3rd by draft value chart.

A 3rd in 2027 is worth a 2nd in 2028.

Earlier picks are more valuable than later picks.
Yeah I know. But during and after the '28 draft that pick will still be a 2nd rounder,
 
It’s not all or nothing, lol. Competent moves are only known in hindsight. Good competent GM’s know when to hold/fold. The moves over the past 1.5 years at least mean that Jerry is going all in on Dak in a way that they have not gone all in for the past 30 seasons. This is major free agency participation via trading major picks and then signing new deals or franchise tagging. And going back to back seasons with 7 wins and starting 1-2 and then making yet another major trade does not smell of competence-it smells of salesman desperation.

The Cowboys can win this terrible division this season with the major injuries that only seem to affect the opponents. So there’s that.
So what should he do? Just suck and give Jets a top 5 pick?
 
I'm good with it. We've won nothing using this draft-heavy approach. Now, we can win nothing using this trade-heavy approach. I mean, the result will likely be the same, but I'm willing to try something, anything, rather than the same ol', same ol'.
The questions remains. Does a move like this put Dallas over the top? Does it put Dallas into at least the middle of the pack in defense? Does it erase the horrible coaching decisions made during the Ravens game? Does it make Dallas a top 1-5 team in the NFL?
 
All i know is if this were the Rams and Eagles we would all be saying “look at how they do stuff, they make moves” so I’m for it thinking about it. The issue to me here and always is coaching due to the owners, like the aggression though
 
All i know is if this were the Rams and Eagles we would all be saying “look at how they do stuff, they make moves” so I’m for it thinking about it. The issue to me here and always is coaching due to the owners, like the aggression though
Rams and the Eagles have proven themselves, the Cowboys have yet to do that.
 
Yeah I know. But during and after the '28 draft that pick will still be a 2nd rounder,
Sure. But if you look at draft strategy over a multi year window. It’s about how much total value you have. Especially considering how often the cowboys trade picks for players or for other picks.

The Cowboys trade picks for future picks, etc quite often.
 
Why is everyone so negative? Porter is an immediate upgrade. The Cowboys don't have a CB anywhere near Porter's ability. With Porter, Downs, and Durant or Bland on the field the CBs are pretty solid. Or they can move Downs to S and go with Porter, Durant and Bland. Still not bad. He's 26 years old so this is not just a move for now but for the future too.

We can't be sure of what we gave up for him but I have no problem giving up a 2028 2nd round pick. Their second round pick have been pretty bad over the years anyway.

I haven't like many trades lately, but I don't have an issue with this one.

What am I missing?
 
He’s probably the best CB we’ve had since Deion

Comparing him to Schoonmaker is ridiculous.
YOU compared him to Schoonmaker. Are you that dim that you need to consistently strawman the arguments of others? Or do you have comprehension issues? Little column A and column B?

Scoot...gnat. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed with prejudice.
 
Full on desperation. They don't know what to do. It's so bad they can't believe they did have it all figured out changing over half the Defense. Panic in big D
 
The questions remains. Does a move like this put Dallas over the top? Does it put Dallas into at least the middle of the pack in defense? Does it erase the horrible coaching decisions made during the Ravens game? Does it make Dallas a top 1-5 team in the NFL?
The defense is a work in progress. But they have shown signs of development. Barham and Downs are making plays. Guys aren’t getting picks but they are punching ball out. I think this move gives the defense significantly more upside. Also he excels in man press but his numbers in zone coverage last year were elite. He has the size and speed where he can probably excel even in zone.
 
YOU compared him to Schoonmaker. Are you that dim that you need to consistently strawman the arguments of others? Or do you have comprehension issues? Little column A and column B?

Scoot...gnat. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed with prejudice.
Weird.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,012
Messages
14,656,864
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top