TRADED Porter traded to Cowboys (2027/6th round, 2028/2nd round)

I don’t think the Cowboys would turn down a corner in the 1st if he’s BPA.
It would be interesting as you never have enough corners, but other positions might be more pressing. They may trade back in that scenario.
 
IMO JPJ is a good, to very good CB and this team desperately needed help in the secondary.
It was almost guaranteed they would add someone the minute we got back from Rio. No team can lose that many players in the secondary and not make a move or two.
Will it work? I would think that, unless he really is hurt, than it has to at least help. But he is a man corner and we're running way too much zone so...???
And who plays where when everyone is healthy will be interesting to see.
In a vacuum the deal itself is very good. A 6th and a 2nd two years from now is cheap.
Will they over pay him? Most likely, but that's the nature of the CB market these days.
Will we lose Pickens because of the deal? I'm pretty sure he was gone anyway. I was just hoping they could do a sign and trade him instead of letting him walk. And maybe they still can, but it just got a lot tougher to do.
Will they add a pass rusher? I don't see many teams lining up to trade away good pass rushers so I would be surprised if they get a good one. Maybe if the Raiders fall off the cliff Max arrives.
 
I guess when we win it all everyone will look at the FO trade technique and we used and copy it!
 
It would be interesting as you never have enough corners, but other positions might be more pressing. They may trade back in that scenario.
Corner is one of the highest paid positions on the team on second contract. You get 5 years of cost control on a rookie deal. The Cowboys would not move off of a top corner if that’s what was available.

But I certainly agree we could easily have more pressing needs.
 
If we just traded him for a 2nd and some fluff I’ll be pissed. We took him 33rd and he’s been great, no way in hell the return should just be a middle of the round 2nd
-permacleaned

I just... Like why is this the player you don't want to sign? You hit a homerun with an early second and you let him go? I just really don't understand this process
-maplevenom7

I feel physically ill. Worst move of Omar’s tenure as GM
-unwanted_opinion

Like GP all over again. He’s gonna ball out, we aren’t getting even close to fair compensation for him and we will look stupid yet again. I will never understand the Omar Khan glaze from some Steelers fans, between GP and now JPJ this is downright football terrorism.
-bloodsoakedsymphony

I hope we actually got a good return
- Electricaliron
narrator: ‘They didn’t’​
- psynautic​
​
6th rounder and a 2028 2nd.
Highway robbery. How did we get so screwed on this.

- upstairsfood

Trading a young lockdown homegrown corner who is the son of a Steelers legend just feels so wrong.
- Mrastronimically

What an absolute waste. Such talent, such a perfect story coming to the Steelers, then suddenly completely up in flames. Completely unacceptable for the Steelers to have bombed this situation so badly.
- Lembasi

I don't like this.
He's played 1,467 consecutive coverage snaps without allowing a touchdown, making his streak the absolute longest by any cornerback in the Next Gen Stats era. The only TD ever thrown on him was his rookie year.

-lance

Hold on - you mean to say we haven’t had a lockdown corner since Ike, we drafted JPJ and he’s a home grown legacy talent, and we just refuse to pay him? Doomed for mediocrity until Rooney sells the team
-awildblitz

If you sincerely hate this team or think it's stupid, then by all means, go be a Cowboys fan.
-enjoymorebeef (Rockport in PA)
Am I evil for loving their misery lol
 
Something to remember when if you are going your friends that are Steeler fans about Porter:

Steeler fans are housewives. Even the mem
 
Corner is one of the highest paid positions on the team on second contract. You get 5 years of cost control on a rookie deal. The Cowboys would not move off of a top corner if that’s what was available.

But I certainly agree we could easily have more pressing needs.
I don't disagree.
 
2nd rounder is a bit steep but he is a very good player at a premium position with probably 3-4 seasons left in his prime.

Obviously they need EDGE help but it looks like Crosby is staying in LV. That team is going to be around the playoff hunt beyond the trade deadline and unlikely to trade him.
 
I can understand the idea that a person would rather had another player at another position instead of this trade, but I’m not so sure that is the right way to view this trade

This trade does not preclude another move to help this defense. In fact I would suggest that this trade actually makes it MORE likely that we make another move on defense.

Porter’s cap hit this year will be small since he is in his rookie deal and we are only paying the pro rated remainder of his salary this year and no pro rated bonus.

This move seems to indicate that Jerry wants to make a run THIS season. I don’t think Jerry is done The Giants losing their QB after week 1 and the Eagles faltering last week probably reaffirmed that idea in Jerry’s mind
I agree. I think if they win the next two games, which is possible, they would be 3-2 heading into a mini bye.

To your point, the NFCE is wide open, and JJ still has some 2027 draft capital to play with to make another move before the trade deadline in order to make a push this year.
 
The going price of a top 3 or so corner is what two 1s.

So porter is maybe a top 7-12 cb in the NFL and in only cost us a second? I’d say that’s a pretty good deal.
 
This is one instance where Jerry and Co probably benefitted from waiting. The price likely came down due to Porter sitting out the first three games of the season. Plus 3/17 of his salary this season was paid by the Steelers.
Isn’t his injury status a concern? When is he expected to return?
 
I agree. I think if they win the next two games, which is possible, they would be 3-2 heading into a mini bye.

To your point, the NFCE is wide open, and JJ still has some 2027 draft capital to play with to make another move before the trade deadline in order to make a push this year.
Yes. I think “needs” are pass rusher and additional linebacker(s). I’m very disappointed that we didn’t add more linebacker talent via the draft.

There were really solid linebacker pieces available when we were on the clock. The Shelton pick really stings because there was legit linebacker and safety help on the board at that spot.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,012
Messages
14,656,969
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top