Position by Position...Pet Cat Thread

rkell87

Reaction score
silverbear;3264874 said:
Let me first note that my idea of a "pet cat" is a player who's not really highly ranked (say, top 100 talent)... but that's just me, and this list will reflect that:

QB-- I agree with Hos about Matt Nichols, he has a pro arm and some mobility... I also like Nick Graziano from Arkansas Tech, and Bradley George from Texas State, both of whom will almost certainly go undrafted... Graziano is a little short for the position, just 6-1, but he's kinda Romo-esque; he passed for nearly 360 yards per game this season, with 38 TDs and 12 ints, and he shows some mobility too, rushing for 455 yards on 76 carries with 7 more TDs... I wonder if Jerry's Arkansas connections have him clued in to Nick... as for George, he's a pure dropback passer, a statue in the pocket, but he's 6-6, and has passed for over 9500 yards and 91 TDs in his college career...

RB-- Mikell Simpson, Virginia, and William Ford, South Carolina State... Simpson played for a rather bad UVa offense, but he can play RB or WR, he can return kicks, and NFLDS even suggests he might be converted to CB... Ford is a little waterbug, who will run a sub-4.4 40 this offseason... he rushed for nearly 2900 yards his last 2 seasons, 4650 in his career... again, neither one is likely to be drafted...

FB-- got a real Super Sleeper Special here, another likely undrafted rookie free agent name of Jameson Konz from Kent State... he converted from linebacker while in college (suggesting he has a pretty physical nature), and I think he could even be a good back in a one back offense... he goes 6-3, weighs 230 pounds, and runs the 40 in right around 4.45 seconds... that's right, I said 4.45 seconds... some scouts even project him to WR, but I think he could bulk up to around 240, and still run a sub-4.5... which would make him a dangerous receiver out of the backfield...

TE-- Michael Hoomanawanui, Illinois... I like to include one player whose name is tough to spell every year, LOL... he goes 6-4, 265 pounds, and will run the 40 in around 4.75 seconds... he has good hands and runs good routes, but his blocking needs a little work (he has the size to develop in that area, though)... Michael might be drafted, but no earlier than the 6th or 7th round... there are a pair of likely undrafted rookie free agents at this position that I like too-- Greg Boone from Virginia Tech, and Jeff Cottam from Tennessee... Boone is a converted quarterback who goes 6-3, 280 pounds (he even ran some "wild turkey" for the Hokies), while Cottam is the younger brother of NFL player Brad Cottam... Jeff goes 6-8, 260 pounds, runs a 4.65 40, and is more of a receiving threat than a blocking threat...

WR-- David Gettis from Baylor (6-4, 216 pounds, 4.45 second 40), Jeff Moturi from UTEP (6-0, 190 pounds, 4.45 second 40) and Kelton Tindal from Newberry (6-2, 200 pounds, 4.25 second 40) are three intriguing late round, UDFA prospects... Gettis has impressive size-speed numbers, Moturi was a home run hitter for UTEP, and Tindal played at a very low level, but look at that speed...

C-- I'd be all in favor of investing a late round pick in Erik Cook from New Mexico (6-6, 320 pounds, 5.3 second 40) whose brother Ryan is already in the NFL... after the draft, I'd look at Sean Allen from East Carolina (6-3, 310 pounds, 5.2 second 40) and Garrett Anderson from South Carolina (6-4, 310 pounds, 5.1 second 40)... all three players might factor in at guard too...

OG-- Marshall Newhouse from TCU would look good in the 5th or 6th round (6-3, 325 pounds, 5.0 second 40), and Thomas Austin from Clemson intrigues me in the 7th round (6-3, 316 pounds, 5.1 second 40, he can play some center too)... after the draft, I like Joe Hawley from UNLV (6-3, 316 pounds, 5.15 second 40)...

OT-- the depth is pretty fair at this position this year, good enough that you might be able to claim a Jared Veldheer from Hillsdale in the 4th or 5th round (6-8, 325 pounds, 4.9 second 40), or big ol' Chris Scott from Tennessee in the 5th or 6th round (6-5, 325 pounds, 5.3 second 40, he may be a better guard prospect than a tackle prospect), or in the 7th round, perhaps either Will Barker from Virginia (6-7, 320 pounds, 5.3 second 40, he can play guard as well) or Casey Knips from South Dakota State (6-8, 310 pounds, 5.15 second 40)... and after the draft, I like J'Marcus Webb from West Texas A&M (a Texas transfer, he goes 6-7, 325 pounds and runs a 5.25 second 40), or Carl Spitale from Florida Atlantic (6-6, 320 pounds, 5.3 second 40, he can play some guard too)...

DE-- talking pure 3-4 DEs here, the players who might project to OLB in the 3-4 will be considered a few sections down... in the 7th round range, there are 2 prospects who have caught my interest-- Clifton Geathers from South Carolina (6-7, 286 pounds, 4.85 second 40), and Brandon Deaderick from Alabama (6-4, 295 pounds, 4.9 second 40)... after the draft, the Boys might want to look at Greg Middleton from Indiana (6-3, 285 pounds, 4.8 second 40) or Sean Lissemore from William & Mary (6-3, 286 pounds, 4.8 second 40)...

DT-- there's really not much here I like later in the draft, but Jay Ross from East Carolina might make some sense in the 7th round (6-3, 316 pounds, 5.05 second 40), and after the draft, maybe Ekom Udofia from Stanford (6-1, 325 pounds, 5.1 second 40)...

OLB-- there seems to be nice quality and nice depth in the later rounds of this draft at OLB, including Cameron Sheffield from Troy in the 5th round range (6-3, 255 pounds, 4.75 second 40), Danny Batten from South Dakota State in the 6th or 7th round (6-3, 250 pounds, 4.65 second 40), Tim Knicky from Stephen F. Austin in that same range (6-4, 235 pounds, 4.6 second 40)... and after the draft is over, you might find Jarvis Geathers-- the son of former NFL DE James "Jumpy" Geathers-- from Central Florida (6-3, 240 pounds, 4.6 second 40), Junior Galette from Stillman (6-2, 255 pounds, 4.6 second 40) or Larry Hunt from Central Arkansas (6-1, 250 pounds, 4.55 second 40)... all three of these likely UDRFAs were highly productive in college...

ILB-- not much here, but in the 4th or 5th I kinda like Jamar Cheney from Mississippi State (6-1, 240 pounds, 4.6 second 40)... he might be able to play some OLB too...

CB-- I'm looking at mostly big corners who might factor in at free safety too, and many of the draftniks in here have already "discovered" my two biggest pet cats at this position-- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from Indiana, Pa. (6-1, 205 pounds, 4.45 second 40) and Chris Cook from Virginia (6-2, 210 pounds, 4.5 second 40)... both players look like 3rd or 4th round prospects at the moment... Owusu-Ansah can return kicks, too... in the 4th or 5th round range, I like Brian Jackson from Oklahoma (6-0, 205 pounds, 4.5 second 40)... I think he'll make a nice press corner, and he offers something on special teams (coverage-wise)... after the draft, the Miner in me says take a run at Cornelius Brown from UTEP, even if their defense was gawdawful this year... he's 5-11, 195 pounds, and will probably run a sub-4.4 40 at the combine... he'll be playing in the Texas Vs. The Nation game this weekend...

FS-- once again, Hos made a good call on Robert Johnson from Utah (6-2, 195 pounds, 4.5 second 40)... this guy just makes plays, and often against the best competition... he projects as a 4th or 5th rounder at this point... after the draft, I'd look at Scann Schillinger from Montana (6-0, 200 pounds, 4.4 second 40)...

SS-- the Cowboys have reportedly shown an interest in Larry Asante from Nebraska (6-0, 210 pounds, 4.5 second 40), who grades out as about a 4th round pick at the moment... he sure was part of a really good defense... at one point, I would have included Myron Rolle on this list, but even though he performed well during the Senior Bowl practices, those critics who have said he didn't make many plays in college seem to have a point...

Disclaimer-- I haven't really gone into the DBs in great depth yet, I may yet uncover other pet cats there...

Please don't make fun of the fact I have over 40 pet cats... I'll keep the litter box clean until the draft, honest... :D

holy cow. nice work i like asante too, also like webb.

i go to texas state, say no to george, even with 4 years coaching i dont think he would be any more than a back up.

deadrick is the guy that got shot on monday and played saturday right? those are the kind of guys we need lol

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I've only got three. Dez Bryant, Mike Iupati, and Rolando McClain.

dmoore

Reaction score
I haven't had enough time to look at the draft to figure out who all I like. I got some guys already, though probably not enough to list one at every position.

QB: Hiller, WMU - Great career in the MAC. Good size. Has a shot to stick with a team and have a decent career as a back-up.

TE: Dennis Pitta, BYU - Every time I saw him he looked like a Dallas Clark clone.

WR: Arrelious Benn, IL - Obviously not a guy we'll likely end up with. He has just looked like an NFL WR since he stepped foot on campus at IL. Great after the catch and solidly built. If we didn't have RW11, I'd love for Benn to be in his place. I think he's getting slept on in some draft circles. Might be one of my favorite players in the draft. Also great return guy.

DE: Odrick, PSU - He'd be great on our d-line. A complete beast.

ILB: Spikes, FL - We got a shot at him and I like his leadership.

CB: Javier Arenas, Bama - Great returner who also fills need of CB depth. If I had to pick one CB in the draft I'd like to get it would be him, mostly because we don't need a starter.

S: Kyle McCarthy, ND - Watching a lot of ND's games this year, he was the only guy on the defensive side of the ball that I just loved. He gets the most out of his ability and was always around the ball. Probably just a special teamer at this point, but I like him and I'll be rooting for him at the next level.

K: Leigh Tiffin, Bama - Made a lot of big kicks this year it seemed. I'd like to get him in camp and have him compete with a couple vets. We need to improve here.

I'll start getting in to it once the combine gets closer.

proline

Reaction score
Hos, you didn't list a pet cat for kicker, and that's probably the position we need to fill the most. What gives? :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
proline;3273885 said:
Hos, you didn't list a pet cat for kicker, and that's probably the position we need to fill the most. What gives? :D
I have found I can't type, curse, and throw up all at the same time.

Reaction score
QB - Ryan Perilloux

HB - Dexter Mccluster

Wr - Dexter Mccluster, Carlton Mitchell, Mardy Gilyard, Golden Tate

S - Rolle, R Johnson, N Allen, Earl Thomas

Reaction score
VACowboy;3264774 said:
AOA and Alex Carrington are my cats, but a few other players I like are....

Aaron Hernandez (TE) - Smoooooth. Tremendous down-field threat
Adrian Tracey (OLB) - Put up some of the best career stats in NCAA history.
Arthur Moats (OLB) - Mister Disruption. From Charles Haley's alma matre.
Nate Collins (DT) - Amazingly productive

My FA special: David Gettis (WR) - Baylor - Huge and fast.

And like most everyone else, I love Chris Cook. Moooore WAHOOS!

I like Gettis too. FA is a maybe, depends how he does at the Combine. Another Miles Austin here and he can return kicks. great size 6'3 and speed, Low 4.4 high is 4.55. runs around 4.7 like miles. 217lbs

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
rkell87;3273477 said:
holy cow. nice work i like asante too, also like webb.

Thanks, man...

i go to texas state, say no to george, even with 4 years coaching i dont think he would be any more than a back up.

Can you tell me more about why you feel this way?? I've obviously never seen him play, but his numbers look pretty good...

Inside info is always welcomed...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;3273911 said:
I have found I can't type, curse, and throw up all at the same time.

Not real good when it comes to multitasking, eh??

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
QB...Matt Nichols | Eastern Michigan

RB...LaMarcus Coker | Hampton

FB...Jameson Konz | Kent St

TE...Andrew Quarless | Penn St

WR...Damian Williams | USC

OT...Anthony Davis | Rutgers

OG...John Jerry | Mississippi

C...John Estes | Hawaii

DE...Jared Ordick | Penn State

NT...Cam Thomas | North Carolina

OLB...Sean Witherspoon | Missouri

ILB...Rolando McClain | Alabama

CB...Kyle Wilson | Boise St

FS...Earl Thomas | Texas

SS...Harry Coleman | LSU

KR/PR...Javier Arenas | Alabama

rkell87

Reaction score
silverbear;3274252 said:
Thanks, man...

Can you tell me more about why you feel this way?? I've obviously never seen him play, but his numbers look pretty good...

Inside info is always welcomed...

he misses easy targets alot, it has been his WR coming up with catches and making plays, not very accurate. he also lets the pressure of the game get to him when its on the line, seen him lose a few too many close ones as we are driving to win in the 4th. he holds the ball a little long at times, not great mental clock.

now when he has time to sit in the pocket he is good at finding the open man but alot of QBs can do that.

like i said i feel he is a project just to become a back up at the next level

Randy White

Reaction score
Hostile;3263235 said:
I am not going to simply name 1st rounders in these picks. You do what you want to with your pet cats though.

Yea, but most of those guys are sure fire 1st round pick. Let's go with players who are not going to be likely 1st round picks and/or are projects.

QB: Michael Kafka, Northwestern. ( 7th rnd or UDFA ) = Practice Squad

I don't know if he's going to be drafted or not. I don't expect him to be taken before the 5th, 6th, or 7th round. However, since most of us Cowboys fans are going to be looking at QBs through the Tony Romo lens, ie: comparing them to Tony, IMO, this guy has the tools to be another TR. Like Tony, he's a long term development project. He has a strong enough arm, a quick release, and he's a very good athlete, like TR. He's also brash, confident, and plays the game like if it's his passion. However, also like TR was a few years ago, he's inconsistent, sometimes careless with the ball, too overconfident in his arm and too stubborn at times. Still, exactly like TR was a few years ago, his weaknesses are what makes him a good prospect. You want a QB with a little bit of an " attitude ", who doesn't let a mistake get him down too long or deter him from believing he's going to complete the next pass.

RB: Toby Gerhart ( Stanford )/ Javarris James ( UM ). 3rd, 4th, 5th rnd - 3rd RB

I'm really torn here. The guy I REALLY want that's not going to go in the 1st round is James McKnight ( USC ), but he'll be gone in the 2nd round, and that's too soon for the Cowboys to draft a RB, even if he falls to them in the 2nd. Also, this is with the caviat that we cut or trade Barber, otherwise this position should not be addressed in the draft. Gerhart in the 4th rnd would be a perfect steal for the Cowboys, which is why it won't happen. As a 3rd rounder ? Maybe, depending on how they've addressed the team's needs in the first 2 rounds. As a player ? he'd be a perfect replacement for Barber. Short yard situation back, with enough speed to break the 15 and 25 yards runs. Javarris James as a 5th or 6th rnd, wouldn't be a bad idea. He's more " fluid " than Gerhart, but not as powerful. However, his strength is running between the tackles and he could break a long one if he gets to the 2nd level.

WR: Jacoby Ford ( Clemson ), Andre Roberts ( Citadel ). 5th, 6th, 7th rnds - ST, Practice Squad.

I don't want to draft a WR because I think it will probably be a waste of a pick. However, if I had to, it would be either of these guys ( or somebody like them ) in those rounds. My reasoning is that we already have more than enough receivers on the roster from all ranges. Big play guy ( Miles Austin ), possesion type ( Roy Williams ), slot guy ( Patrick Crayton ), special teams guys ( Ogletree, Hurd ), guys who could step up if any of those 3 goes down ( Ogletree, Hurd ), developmental guys ( Manuel Johnson, Jesse Holley ).

For the past 3 years or so, many fans in here ( and media members ) criticize players because they haven't contributed ( Stanback, Austin, Hurd ) despite being in the roster for a few seasons, and want to get rid of them in order to bring somebody else. What they don't realize is that those players have never truly had an opportunity to showcase their talents ( other than some limited times in training camp and perhaps a pre-season game or two ) because of the talent that was ahead of them.

Yet, they STILL want to draft yet ANOTHER guy and bring him into this same roster ( basically ) , expecting him to be different. Well, what's the definition of crazy again ?

Right now everybody's favorite is Kevin Ogletree. I'd be willing to bet that if the Cowboys receivers have a similar season in '10 that they had in '09, people are going to be jumping off the Ogletree bandwagon in favor of another " unknown " player from college because he " hasn't shown anything ". Well, substitue Ogletree's name with Stanback, Hurd, and Miles Austin, and you have the same thinking in the previous 3 years.

The point of this rant is that we need to give the talent we have on the roster a chance to develop and then make a judgement.

TE: Jimmy Graham ( UM ), 6th, 7th rnds, UDFA - practice squad.

I wouldn't even look at this position at all. I think Graham is going to be drafted, but he's really a long term developmental project being a former basketball player who suffers alot from the " dropsies ". However, he's a physically impressive player, very similar to Marty B.

OL: Ciron Black ( OG ), LSU, Matt Tennant ( C ) Boston College, Mike Johnson ( OG ) Alabama. 2nd - 7th rnd. Depth - down the line starters..

Ciron Black played tackle at LSU, but I believe his best position is guard. I've seen alot of his games and although he doesn't impress me as a tackle, I think he could be a very good player at the guard position. Everybody knows about Mike Johnson already, so I won't go into him. Tennant is the type of player every team should have. I was paying attention to him during the Senior bowl practices and he's one tough competitor. Not the biggest guy by any stretch, but a bigger version of Mark Stepnoski, if you will. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a pro bowl center for somebody ( hopefully the Cowboys ) in the future.

DL: Tyson Alualu ( DE/NT ), California, Vince Oghobaase ( DE ) Duke, 3rd, 4th, 5th rnd, depth players.

If the Cowboys get this two guys in the 3rd - 5th rnd range, I'd be one VERY satisfied fan. I think Alualu would THRIVE in Wade Philip's defense. He's a high motor, up the field the guy, with impressive strength, very similar to Igor. I'd try him at DE first, but wouldn't surprise me if Wade falls in love with him and has him playing both NG ( as Ratt's back up ) and DE. His quickness is very good too.

Oghobaase is the prototypical 3-4 DE with a " bad azzz " attitude. He might be a bit of a project, but one that could pay huge dividends down the road.

LB: Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky. Ryan Reynolds, ILB, Oklahoma. Dexter Davis, ILB, Arizona ST, 5th, 6th, 7th rnd. ( Depth, pratice squad )

Similar to the WR position, although not as deep. I think we have the established players ( Ware, Spencer, James, Brookings ) the projects ( Jason Williams, Brandon Williams, Victor Butler, Stephen Hodge ) and the ST vets ( Octavian, maybe Barbie ). I'd invest a later round pick on a LB, or two ( if I trade down and get multiple picks ) but if it doesn't happen, I wouldn't worry. The truth is that with the 4 projects we have at the LB position, we do not need to draft another one. If anything, I'd bring some help from the FA market from players who are going to be cut, in order to replace Octavian or even Barbie himself IF need be.

CB: Patrick Robinson, CB, FSU. 1st - 2nd rnd pick, depth, eventual starter.

It seems like Robinson is falling in the draft ( as some players do during this time ) and that could be good news. If he falls enough, and he's there in the 2nd round, I'd pull the trigger within the first 30 seconds of the time alloted. Every single highlight film, lowlight film, game, report, whatever, that I've seen about him keeps sending me back to Mike Jenkins. Same body type, Robinson a bit faster, same " attitude ".. This guy, imo, could be a steal where ever he lands.

S: Myron Rolle, ( S ) FSU, Kam Chancellor ( S ) Virginia Tech, Justin Woodall ( S ), Alabama. 3rd - 7th rnd, depth, eventual starter.

I'd be thrilled with any of those guys, perhaps even two of them, depending on what the Cowboys do in the off-season with regards to this position. Preferably I'd like Chancellor from V-Tech in the 3rd or 4th round, but if it's Rolle or Woodall, I'd be satisfied as well..

K: Brett Swenson, K, Michigan ST. 6th, 7th rnd...

don't know much about him, other than what I saw in the competition drills at my alma matter ( FIU ) where he nailed all of his kicks.. From that show, this kid at the very least showed 3 things: strong leg ( 55 yards ), accuracy ( down the middle ), and nerves of steel ( did it on his 4th or 5th kick ).