Position needs and the draft

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
QB - They are determined to sign Dak.
RB - Stuck with Zekes contract and Pollard is solid
WR - we are set
TE - Jarwin and Schultz are solid and Bell is a contributor
OG - Martin, Williams and Mcgovern - good to go
OT - Tron, Collins, Knight, Steele, maybe re-sign Irving and Martin in a pinch - set
C - Biadazz and hopefully re-sign Looney

I don't see any reason to use any draft picks on offense

DE - DLaw , Gregory, Hopefully Aldon will re-sign and Anae waiting in the wings
3tech - Trysten Hill, Gallimore and Crawford if he wants to stick around cheaply
1tech - a need in the draft and keep one of the current suspects as backup
LB - draft 2
CB - Draft 2 and re-sign Lewis if affordable to go with Diggs
FS - draft one early
SS i Wilson might be the answer

P - keep the new guy
K - Zeurline

I think the draft should look something like this

1:15 Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech
2:15 Nick Bolton LB Missouri
3:14 Trevon Moehrig FS TCU
4:15 Jordan Davis NT Georgia
6:15 Ernest Jones LB South Carolina
7:15 Adrian Frye CB Texas Tech

tico

Reaction score
I wonder what spot we will be drafting?
Hate sitting there and watching all the best talent be taken until DC pick.. anxiety extreme

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Great thread

The way I look at "need" in the draft is a combination of scarcity, BPA, and need plus .

When it comes to scarcity there are two principles. First is big man theory. It is the idea that there are only so many men above 6'2"+ 300+ lbs men with athletic talent and college experience in the world. If you need one then they go to the top of the list.

BPA and need I assume everyone understands but here I combine them. You create a pool of positions of need and then you pick the BPA. If there is a RB at the top of the round and a DT at the bottom as the remainder of your need group then you pick the DT. Only way this is deviated from is if the round is completely wiped out. Then you have to be creative. Trade downs, reaches, or ignoring need.

Of course this makes things difficult if you are picking at the end of the round. Your need groups are often wiped out. We are unlikely to have to deal with that this year.

Group 1: Enormous needs. Missing starters.

DT: World theory and lack of talent describe this roster even when healthy. This team has needed an athletic 315 lber in the middle of the defense for a long time.

OT: This one is tricky. On the one hand, you have world theory on the other you have Smith and Collins. The reason why i include this is because Smith has been out of service for two years now because of recurring injuries. On top of that is stories of cartilage damage leading to bone on bone with Collins. If Collins is good to go then I believe OT is still a need just not as big of one. If Collins' injuries are overblown OT goes to the bottom of the list. It is still a need just not quite so dire.

S: We don't need SS types. We need an instinctive S that can run and change direction. 40, shuttle and cone scores are key here. The tape tells the rest.

LB: We have bodies. We don't have reliable talent. LVE can play but he cannot stay on the field and Smith is soft, dumb, and selfish to detriment. We need a physical, instinctive LB with good SPARQ. He needs to be able to take on blocks and have the off the field work ethic to learn route combinations and opponents tendencies.

Group 2. Bodies present and nothing behind

CB: Brown and Diggs are starters. A top 100 pick to move Brown to the slot or play the boundary themselves is not a bad idea but you can pick up slot guys with talent in the middle of the draft because they do not need ideal size. Resigning Lewis or similar lessens this need, but 5 good corners is still the goal. World theory applies to a lesser degree. There are only so many prospects with 4.40 speed and 3.9 shuttles.

C: Biadasz is a good prospect but he has done nothing to solidify the spot. Looney is a FA. A good interior OL prospect with the head to handle the pivot is the ideal here. With McGovern in the fold backing up the starters the pick here needs to be able to start. Developmental types early are out of the question.

QB: Dalton is a FA. We need a backup. FA is likely the better option and I'd wager the one the Cowboys will take with either Dalton or elsewhere. QB in the first is not going to happen and outside the first it is typically a bust. I do look forward to the tears when Prescott is franchised.

Group 3. Starters and depth present

RB: We have Zeke and Pollard. RB is not a position where you need to draft early as they are often plug and play. We do need 3 though and a FB prospect would help a lot. McCarthy has always liked them and we don't have one.

TE: Jarwin and Schultz are locks and talented. We have the inline and the downfield threat. Still need 3 and Bell is a FA.

WR: Cooper, Lamb, and Gallup oh my. Wilson and Brown are FA but I expect one or both to be back as they won't be costly. Late round SPARQ guy is not a bad idea. World theory.

OG: Martin, Williams, and McGovern are already in the fold. Late rounder is not out of the question.

DE: DLaw, Gregory, Armstrong, and Anae. Smith needs to be our priority FA but even then our cup is full.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score

Fabio will not be available Crash......just not gonna happen.
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2019%2F01%2F09%2F07%2F19%2FTrevorLawrenceweb.jpg

USArmyVet

Reaction score
theres a dak hater in every thread!

...or perhaps he is someone that just feels that dedicating less resources to the QB position in the form of overpaying Dak is not the best approach to helping to apply resources to the defense. Just because someone questions the logic of re-signing Dak does not automatically make him a hater......but then again that is many people's go to reply.

cern

Reaction score
i trust in mcclay and stephen to do what is best for the cowboys.

Jipper

Reaction score
...or perhaps he is someone that just feels that dedicating less resources to the QB position in the form of overpaying Dak is not the best approach to helping to apply resources to the defense. Just because someone questions the logic of re-signing Dak does not automatically make him a hater......but then again that is many people's go to reply.

we have 3 qbs on the roster that are worth keeping, 1 is a top 5-6 in the nfl, one is a low end starter or high end backup, one is a project with potential

and while you might not consider yourself a “dak hater” and are just looking not to overpay dak as you state, the vast majority that make a one word reply in a thread like this like you did, do so because they are firmly against dak....so based on the history on this site, my response was very logical, nothing personal against you.- my apologies if I insulted you.

however, teams do not move on from top 10 starting qbs in their prime and I would bet the farm that Dallas doesn’t not deviate from that.

dak will get the 35 mil or so that he wants and the time frame in length...which is why all of the big draft picks have to go to defense to make sure we have top talent on defense at cheap contracts